Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default What has been the best part of Hickman's X-Men Era?

Hickman has pushed the X-Men in a brand new direction, and one thing is for sure: it has people taking notice. Gone are the days where the X-Men are constantly fighting for survival; they are now living in their own country and no longer taking crap from anyone. So, since we are six months in the era, the time has come to ask: what have you liked the most about it?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Gone are the days where the X-Men are constantly fighting for survival; they are now living in their own country and no longer taking crap from anyone.
    Although I didn't like the cold, cynical, and militaristic attitudes from them, regardless of how justified some people may say it is, I do appreciate Hickman decreasing the dystopian cloud that had been putting an increasingly big shadow over the X-Men in the last 20 or so years in favor of a more hopeful, fun, and varied series of storylines, as opposed to just focusing on extremely hostile prejudice extremely frequently, which probably has too much dissonance even when comparing that situation to real life minorities and became less fun and more dreary compared to Claremont's original run, which still had its enjoyable fun in spite of storylines like Days of Future Past and God Loves Man Kills.

BANNED

Hickman's run hasn't even had a full half-year (although it's dense enough that people think it's been around for a while).

So I wouldn't call it an era, yet. Give it another year or two.

I actually like practically everything about it. Favorites,
    -- Moira X.
    -- Charles and Magneto being like George Clooney and Brad Pitt in Ocean's Eleven.
    -- Cyclops being a Boss.
    -- Emma.
    -- Captain Kate Pryde.
    -- Apocalypse or --{A}-- as he calls himself.
    -- The Fabulous Mr. Sinister.
    -- The new Captain Britain.
    -- Krakoa's new expanded role as mutant and habitat and the entire organic versus technological thing.
    -- Flowers of Krakoa which is a really cool science-fiction concept.
    -- The Five.

To me this feels as strong as Morrison's New X-Men, as strong as the original Giant Size X-Men, as strong as Claremont's run.

All Hickman has to do is stick the landing and he will have achieved what almost no Marvel writer has achieved, a defining run on all three major Marvel teams -- FF, Avengers, X-Men,

BANNED

- Breathing life into •┤Ȧ├• after years of bad writing.

- THAT Destiny scene, and possibly more to come from her if resurrected.

- Scogan

Spectacular Member

The first three issues.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Blue dad
    (formerly know as Apocalypse)

BANNED

- Hordeculture

- Emma’s tuna pie

The entire hox/pox story line was a brilliant shake up of x-men and created an exciting foundation.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Hickman has pushed the X-Men in a brand new direction, and one thing is for sure: it has people taking notice. Gone are the days where the X-Men are constantly fighting for survival; they are now living in their own country and no longer taking crap from anyone. So, since we are six months in the era, the time has come to ask: what have you liked the most about it?
    - Moira X
    - Resurrection of mutants
    - Chimeras
    - The art (except Fallen Angels)
    "Cable was right!"

Pushing the reader out of their comfort zone has been my favorite place. Also giving us a 12 week "I can't wait to see what will happen next" comic to follow. For me HOX/POX was my favorite "tv show" of the year, bar none.

I also think some of the art has been so very good. Not all, but most of it is inspired and beautiful to look at.

Time will tell if all of this was "worth it" but so far I've seen very minimal stumbling (last issues of X-Men and New Mutants are the biggest standouts for me).