Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default The 12 Days of Santa Doom

Inspired by the return Reviresco's Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar, once again I bring you The 12 Days of Santa Doom!. which I posted some years back before the board rebooted, around 2015 IIRC.

The story of Santa Doom was told by Scott Lobdell and John Byrne in the What The -- ? #10 Xmas Special. The story was reprinted in the Marvel Holiday Magazine (2010). So I will be mashing up Santa Doom with the 12 Days of Christmas, probably one of the more annoying holiday songs.

On the first day of Christmas, Santa Doom gave to me......

A Throne Made of Asgard's World Tree

First seen in the Jonathan Hickman / Esad Ribic magnum opus Secret Wars series in issue #2, we see God Emperor Doom on his throne made from the World Tree with Sheriff Stephen Strange and the Emperor's Royal Consort in attendance as judgement as passed in a dispute between Captain Britain and Mister Sinister.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.

On the second day of Christmas, Santa Doom gave to me....
    Two Doomy Bears
    and a Throne made of Asgard's World Tree

The Doomy bear was Doom's comfort plush animal on the greatly missed (by me anyway) Superhero Squad cartoon on the Cartoon Network. There was also an online game that lasted longer than the cartoon and was a lot of fun to play. It had a lot of the same voice actors from the TV show. Doom was voiced by noted voice actor Charlie Adler whose credits also include Super Skrull and MODOK in other Marvel cartoons and Starscream in the Transformer movies

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Yes!!! I'm so glad you are doing this!

Always a good start with Hickman and Ribic! And Doomy Bear!!! I so want one of those.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks for the encouragement. I really wanted a Doomy bear too. I was trying to see if I could somehow make one using materials from the Build a Bear store but no luck! I'd have to find someone to make the little costume.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yes!!! I'm so glad you are doing this!
    Seconded!

I don't remember the Doomy Bear though. I may need to get out the Super Hero Squad DVDs and rewatch the show again....

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Seconded!

I don't remember the Doomy Bear though. I may need to get out the Super Hero Squad DVDs and rewatch the show again....
    He only appears a couple of times in season one. He's in the one where Doom has to get his mojo back and he does the Rocky Balboa thing...I think I made my own DVD of a group of the episodes but have to find it.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Ahhh! I jut found this thread, lol, I need to check the boards more often! Love every post here and can't believe I almost missed this. Thanks for doing this Iron Maiden!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

You're welcome, ImperiousWrecked! I hope you liked the Day for Namor. I used panels where Doom and Namor where both under the sea. And then I remembered I could have used that John Byrne/Jae Lee story too.

And to resume

On the The Tenth Day of Christmas Santa Doom gave to me...
    Ten Black Swans Serving
    Nine Namors Swimming
    Eight Flying Horses
    Seven Doombots Dancing
    Six Vultures Perching
    FIVE IMPERIAL RINGS
    Four French Chefs
    Three Bengal Tigers
    Two Doomy Bears
    And a Throne Made from Asgard's World Tree

As to who the Black Swans are serving, it as The Great Destroyer, Rabam Alal

The first we knew of the Black Swans was back in Hickman's New Avengers #1 vol. 3 from 2013. I like to qualify that because New Avengers is a title that has been relaunched many times. The first one we met was Yabbatt Ummon Turru of Earth 1365. This was when the Illuminati of Earth Prime first learned to the incursions that were sweeping across the Multiverse. The Black Swans were created to serve the mysterious Rabam Alal but at some point Yabbatt had gone off on her own. The subject of the Incursions and the roles of the Black Swans, The Ivory Priests and the Black Priests gets a bit complicated and I would have to revisit that whole arc again. The threads that were started to review each new issue of the New Avengers typically lasting at least 10 pages and more with hundreds of posts deliberating the morality of killing another planet to save your own.

The Swans were not all glamorous like the panel I used. They represented many different races in the multiverse as this cover demonstrates. The Swans that served Rabam Alal were elderly and had blinded themselves so that they could be in the Great Destroyers presence.

When Doctor Strange joins the Black Priests and goes to seek out Rabam Alal in the Great Library, he is taken captive and the Black Priests are destroyed. Then it is revealed that Doom is Rabam Alal.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Christmas Eve is here and soon Santa will be loading his slay. Will he need Santa Doom's help this year?

On the The Eleventh Day of Christmas Santa Doom gave to me...
    Eleven Heroes Bowing
    Ten Black Swans Serving
    Nine Namors Swimming
    Eight Flying Horses
    Seven Doombots Dancing
    Six Vultures Perching
    FIVE IMPERIAL RINGS
    Four French Chefs
    Three Bengal Tigers
    Two Doomy Bears

A while back I found a copy of the cover for Super-Villain Team-Up #14 without the Title Banner, etc. I believe this might be the first time John Byrne would draw the Doctor Doom. The cover is inked by Terry Austin and the story is by Bill Mantlo who was a pretty prolific writer for Marvel in this era. I hope he is well this Christmas as he continues to receive medical care as a result of a hit and run accident that occurred decades ago.

The story begins with Magneto, having recently been restored to adulthood after being reverted back to an infant in Defenders #16, comes to Latveria to propose an alliance but Doom is way ahead of him...

Doom tells of his creation of Neuro canisters that release a gas into the atmosphere, making all who are exposed to it unconsciously serve Doom. But Doom is bored and what use is a triumph if no one knows about it. Doom provides an antidote to Magneto and wants him to make a contest of it and challenge Doom's control. Magento heads over to Avengers Mansion for help. A fight ensues as soon as he bursts his way through the entrance. He does get the Avengers to listen to his tale but they don't realize that they are under Doom's control until a holographic image of Doom appears in the room. He decides to allow Magneto one ally among the Avengers and he choose to take the Beast. So Magneto uses his power to control "the iron-laden flow of blood to the brain" (footnoted as seen in Avengers #11) to nullify the effect of the gas in the atmosphere. Having no luck finding any other heroes, the Beast suggests they go to Los Angeles and meet up with a new group called the Champions, which includes his former teammates Ice-Man and the Angel. On the last page of the issue, it is announced that this is the last issue of Super-Villain Team-Up. There would however be one more issue that is a reprint then two years later in 1977 there was a Red Skull & Hate Monger team up. Sub-Mariner had made his last appearance in issue #13 when Doom fulfilled his promise to restore the comatose citizens of Atlantis. Having no further interest in any alliances, Namor sends Doom on his way.

Doom and Namor will continue their on again/off again alliances in years to come.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-26-2019 at 09:34 AM.

As for the outcome of the SVTU / Champions crossover, battles ensue and Doom grows impatient with the former world leaders

In a final melee with the heroes, Ghost Rider uses his Hellfire on Doom and it heats up his armor and mask. So he has to remove the mask and then becomes exposed to his own gas.

Now fast forward to 1987 which brings us the graphic novel Emperor Doom written by David Michelinie with concept by Jim Shooter, Mark Gruenwald and there is a one noticeable ressemblance between this story and the SVTU/Champions story. Only this time Doom controls the power of the Purple Man and diffuses it over the planet. And Doom is immune to the effect of the Purple Man.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-26-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Christmas is here so here is the final verse of the Twelve Days of Santa Doom

On the The Twelfth Day of Christmas Santa Doom gave to me...
    Twelve Diamante Pens for Writing
    Eleven Heroes Bowing
    Ten Black Swans Serving
    Nine Namors Swimming
    Eight Flying Horses
    Seven Doombots Dancing
    Six Vultures Perching
    FIVE IMPERIAL RINGS
    Four French Chefs
    Three Bengal Tigers
    Two Doomy Bears

Doom always has this penchant for mixing the modern with the traditional. His armor looks medieval compared to Iron's sleek state of the art version. And Doom did adopt that look for a period of time as Infamous Iron Man but as we've seen he's returned to his more classic look. He does not blog or use any kind of digital device to create a journal. He prefers pen and paper. So naturally when Doom writes he would use the most expensive pen to be found and that is the Aurora Diamante Fountain Pen at a cool $1.47 million dollars. Manufactured by an Italian company the barrel is pure platinum with an 18 carat gold nib, and is encrusted with 1,919 De Beers diamonds that weigh more than 30 carats. We know that he has at least one of them but who knows, he may have some of the less pricey ones clipped in an inner pocket to his his cape. And the price is pretty prohibitive since the company only mades one per year. You'd think Doom would find a place to keep it safe. But he recently retrieved it from the rubble of his pen in the rubble of his ransacked castle when RiRi aka Ironheart went to look for him. I wonder if Damage Control is on retainer with him. They sure would get steady work from that contract.

I like the panels that come from the late Dwayne McDuffie's Damage Control mini series. McDuffie once wrote here in the comments section of one of Brian Cronin's columns (which spotlighted the Luke Cage story were Doom stiffed him for his $200 fee) that he hated that story. So he wrote this reply to it in his Damage Control series. It was an a dishonest staff member at the Latverian embassy that pocketed the money himself and was about to do the same to the Damage Control company when he was caught red handed by Doom. Of course, the Luke Cage story lives on and is the better known story.

But getting back to the journals, one wonders if Doom is more careful in keeping them hidden and hopefully they won't be just laying around in the ruins the next time Castle Doom falls.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-25-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Christmas Eve is here and soon Santa will be loading his slay. Will he need Santa Doom's help this year?

On the The Eleventh Day of Christmas Santa Doom gave to me...
    Eleven Heroes Bowing
    Ten Black Swans Serving
    Nine Namors Swimming
    Eight Flying Horses
    Seven Doombots Dancing
    Six Vultures Perching
    FIVE IMPERIAL RINGS
    Four French Chefs
    Three Bengal Tigers
    Two Doomy Bears

A while back I found a copy of the cover for Super-Villain Team-Up #14 without the Title Banner, etc. I believe this might be the first time John Byrne would draw the Doctor Doom. The cover is inked by Terry Austin and the story is by Bill Mantlo who was a pretty prolific writer for Marvel in this era. I hope he is well this Christmas as he continues to receive medical care as a result of a hit and run accident that occurred decades ago.
    Was this a variant cover? I didn't recall a Bryne cover on SVTU.

Also, a GREAT choice for a DOOM Christmas thread.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

No, here is the original cover. Another link to SVTU #14 and Emperor Doom is that Bob Hall did the art on both of them.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.