Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58
  1. #46
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Until I saw Bendis bring it up in Infamous Iron Man, I had never heard of it either. Talk about some bling. I know what you mean on forgetting things....happens to me a lot too!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to put together and looking things up for background material....refreshed my memory on some things too!
    I agree! Though I often get distracted when I'm looking up things.

    I have to wonder, WHO in real life actually uses that sort of pen? I'd be afraid to take it out of the safe. LOL! Of course, I'm not DOOOM!


    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I haven't put him on display in a while, due to being out of room in my curio cabinet. But I did put out my Bowen statue for Christmas a few years back. Plus a couple of friends.
    [center]

    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! May you all get your heart's desire
    I love it! Bowen Doom looks perfect with his Santa hat!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  2. #47
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,529

    Default

    Thanks. I can't remember where I got the little hat. Must have taken from another stuffed toy or something. It does look almost like the one on my Grinch. At the prices these days for statues, I doubt I will be getting anything near that size any more. Bowen later came out with a smaller full sized and then a mini-bust using the same sculpt. I have the mini bust too. He's right next to Namor I would have loved to have gotten the full sized Namor Bowen put out. The one in the black costume looked great.


  3. #48
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    What an excellent way to end the song! XD lol, Doom's tastes in all things are of the very best so of course he would have a pen that could buy a country! Love the statue with the hat, that's wonderful! Also awesome Namor and Doom figures!

    Thanks for doing this thread it was great fun!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  4. #49
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,529

    Default

    Thank you ImperiousWrecked. I am glad you got a kick out of it. I wanted it to be fun plus get into the history/background a bit. I hope I succeeded and didn't bore anyone!

    I really love my Bowen collection and I don't think you will see anything in that price range anymore. The Bowen Designs company IMO was a groundbreaking company and IIRC they were the first to do this kind of thing. I love Sideshow but they are not in my price range. Plus I'd have to buy another cabinet if I got any new figures.

  5. #50
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Merry Christmas, Iron Maiden, and also to everyone with great taste enjoying your thread!

    (Ps : I'm not sure what I would have enjoyed the most as a gift from Santa Doom: that expensive pen, Doom's little Santa hat or the wonderful unicorn T-shirt... Okay, the last one obviously! )
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

  6. #51
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,620

    Default

    Brilliant, IM, Brilliant. Your dedication to the character and your willingness to recognize multiple facets of Doom are an inspiration to us all. I hope your holidays so far have been glorious.

  7. #52
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Merry Christmas, Iron Maiden, and also to everyone with great taste enjoying your thread!

    (Ps : I'm not sure what I would have enjoyed the most as a gift from Santa Doom: that expensive pen, Doom's little Santa hat or the wonderful unicorn T-shirt... Okay, the last one obviously! )
    Good choice. I don't know if they have eBay access for you but you still may be able to find out now and then. I had picked the one with the white background but they used to come in many different colors for the background.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Brilliant, IM, Brilliant. Your dedication to the character and your willingness to recognize multiple facets of Doom are an inspiration to us all. I hope your holidays so far have been glorious.
    Thank you both my friends and fellow Doom fans. I hope you both had a great Christmas!

    I think that when you have a character like Doom that due to his being mostly a guest star / villain in other comics, you will get many different takes on the character....some great, and some not so great. I just learn to accept it is what it is and move on. Because every once in a while you get a touch of magic

  8. #53
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Because every once in a while you get a touch of magic
    I find it extraordinary that such an iconic tale was told complete in 10 pages. They don't make funny books like that anymore.

  9. #54
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thank you ImperiousWrecked. I am glad you got a kick out of it. I wanted it to be fun plus get into the history/background a bit. I hope I succeeded and didn't bore anyone!

    I really love my Bowen collection and I don't think you will see anything in that price range anymore. The Bowen Designs company IMO was a groundbreaking company and IIRC they were the first to do this kind of thing. I love Sideshow but they are not in my price range. Plus I'd have to buy another cabinet if I got any new figures.
    It's never boring to read your posts! I love getting all the details and I learn a whole lot more about Doom that way! thank you!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  10. #55
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks. I can't remember where I got the little hat. Must have taken from another stuffed toy or something. It does look almost like the one on my Grinch. At the prices these days for statues, I doubt I will be getting anything near that size any more. Bowen later came out with a smaller full sized and then a mini-bust using the same sculpt. I have the mini bust too. He's right next to Namor I would have loved to have gotten the full sized Namor Bowen put out. The one in the black costume looked great.
    That's the one I have, the black costume Bowen Namor; it fits the SVTU era. I'd love to get the red swimming trunks one, but since it is the same pose -- though the base is different -- I can wait a bit longer. I need the mini-bust Doom, though. I got the full sized one, but it is the bronze finish.



    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thank you ImperiousWrecked. I am glad you got a kick out of it. I wanted it to be fun plus get into the history/background a bit. I hope I succeeded and didn't bore anyone!

    I really love my Bowen collection and I don't think you will see anything in that price range anymore. The Bowen Designs company IMO was a groundbreaking company and IIRC they were the first to do this kind of thing. I love Sideshow but they are not in my price range. Plus I'd have to buy another cabinet if I got any new figures.
    Never boring! It's always great to revisit Doom's life, especially with a knowledgeable guide.

    You'd think there would be someone to step into that spot Bowen left behind. But now the closest thing to it is the high quality action figures.



    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Good choice. I don't know if they have eBay access for you but you still may be able to find out now and then. I had picked the one with the white background but they used to come in many different colors for the background.



    Thank you both my friends and fellow Doom fans. I hope you both had a great Christmas!

    I think that when you have a character like Doom that due to his being mostly a guest star / villain in other comics, you will get many different takes on the character....some great, and some not so great. I just learn to accept it is what it is and move on. Because every once in a while you get a touch of magic
    This is an excellent point. And sadly, something as a Namor fan, I need to work on. At least with Doom, we have the Doombot excuse!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  11. #56
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I find it extraordinary that such an iconic tale was told complete in 10 pages. They don't make funny books like that anymore.
    They sure don't! And for such a short story it has a ripple effect that would crop up as a plot point over the years. But Roger Stern took that story and ran with it to give us the memorable GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment.

    On top of everything else , Gerry Conway (born in 1952) was only 18 when he wrote that story in Astonishing Tales #8 (Oct 1970)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    It's never boring to read your posts! I love getting all the details and I learn a whole lot more about Doom that way! thank you!
    So glad to know that you enjoy going over the older stories. I never understand how some younger readers (and I mean 30s or so) say they can't read the old Stan Lee era stuff...or from the 1980s. I do know this. It takes me longer to reread them than a lot of the current stuff. I really miss text boxes!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That's the one I have, the black costume Bowen Namor; it fits the SVTU era. I'd love to get the red swimming trunks one, but since it is the same pose -- though the base is different -- I can wait a bit longer. I need the mini-bust Doom, though. I got the full sized one, but it is the bronze finish.
    Oh right, I remember the bronze finished ones. They come up on eBay. I didn't realize there was a version of that statue with his red trunks. That was a neat idea they had.



    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

    Never boring! It's always great to revisit Doom's life, especially with a knowledgeable guide.

    You'd think there would be someone to step into that spot Bowen left behind. But now the closest thing to it is the high quality action figures.
    Thanks again for the praise. I enjoy all of your knowledge of Golden Age Namor. I will have to dive into those one day.

    Sideshow collectibles I remember from when they used to have large action figures, I think at Sun Coast Video (another defunct company that used to be in our mall) Now you got those deluxe statues that cost thousands. There were some other companies at C2E2 this past spring that had some high end stuff but I forgot their name. They were mostly X-Men or Avengers characters. There was an appalling lack of merchandise for either Doom or Namor I didn't I see one Doom T-shirt there. Or Fantastic Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

    This is an excellent point. And sadly, something as a Namor fan, I need to work on. At least with Doom, we have the Doombot excuse!
    I still get pretty ticked off sometimes, most recently with how Slott wrote Doom in that Galactus arc. But with any luck he won't have Doom in the FF for a while. I still am waiting to see if Namor shows up in Doom's series. I already know that Kristoff will be appearing according to a tweet I saw from Cantwell.

  12. #57
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So glad to know that you enjoy going over the older stories. I never understand how some younger readers (and I mean 30s or so) say they can't read the old Stan Lee era stuff...or from the 1980s. I do know this. It takes me longer to reread them than a lot of the current stuff. I really miss text boxes!
    I miss the thought bubbles! I have not been reading comics as long as others here and only got into Namor and through Namor's comics into Doctor Doom back in 2014 but I love having so much material to search out and read. I actually vastly prefer the Silver Age comics to the modern age ones though there's some good stuff out there, lol, I still have yet to go through all the modern comics but I will get there someday!

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I still get pretty ticked off sometimes, most recently with how Slott wrote Doom in that Galactus arc. But with any luck he won't have Doom in the FF for a while. I still am waiting to see if Namor shows up in Doom's series. I already know that Kristoff will be appearing according to a tweet I saw from Cantwell.
    I really dislike all of Slott's FF writing to be honest, and what he did with Doom was just so badly written.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  13. #58
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I miss the thought bubbles! I have not been reading comics as long as others here and only got into Namor and through Namor's comics into Doctor Doom back in 2014 but I love having so much material to search out and read. I actually vastly prefer the Silver Age comics to the modern age ones though there's some good stuff out there, lol, I still have yet to go through all the modern comics but I will get there someday!

    I really dislike all of Slott's FF writing to be honest, and what he did with Doom was just so badly written.
    I am not a big fan of his either. I really dislike when a writer chooses to ignore recent events with a character the way Slott did with Doom. It wasn't that long ago that Victor, Ben and Johnny were practically a team in Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One.

    I never understood the choice to not use text boxes or thought bubbles. As I recall it started when Bill Jemas the former President of Marvel Comics and Joe Quesada were running things. To me that's like as if every movie could not use voice over narration any more, like in Christmas Story, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •