Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default DC character costume you wish had or are glad havent stuck around...

I've been digging this post on the Marvel boards, so I thought I'd bring over the DC version.

Again, just post an old costume from a DC character that you are either glad to see gone, or wish were still around.

Thanks!
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I wish these superman costumes were still around. And that jon costume was still in use.

I don't know if this counts, but I miss SuperBats from Elseworlds:

Extraordinary Member

Im Happy that this Abomination didn't stuck:

But I would have likes to see something like tis in the comics.

I wish these superman costumes were still around. And that jon costume was still in use.
    That's the best costume Superman's had.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Nothing beats the original, which i posted. But, i guess it's outdated. Tshirt and jeans superman had the spirit of goldenage guy. Reborn has the spirit of the classic costume.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Nothing beats the original, which i posted. But, i guess it's outdated. Tshirt and jeans superman had the spirit of goldenage guy. Reborn has the spirit of the classic costume.
    I just do not like the jeans - I want costumes to look like costumes.

Right now I'll put in votes for Raven's first costume and Dick's finger-stripe Nightwing (milder preference). Maybe Steph's first Spoiler. Wally's Rebirth Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just do not like the jeans - I want costumes to look like costumes.

Right now I'll put in votes for Raven's first costume and Dick's finger-stripe Nightwing (milder preference). Maybe Steph's first Spoiler. Wally's Rebirth Flash.
    Superman existed before superheroes and costumes. So, superman needing a superhero costume is not true. It was his and his predecessor's like the phantom's strongman outfit that started the 'costume culture' . He doesn't need to fit any mold, even the superhero one. Whatever he wears, if he feels like a wet towel it wouldn't matter, anyways . Superman should command respect. Another thing that people fail to get is that Superman becomes uninteresting when overexplained. His designs should be simple and down to earth, always. There is nothing more simpler than tshirt and jeans.i feel the same way for jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Superman existed before superheroes and costumes. So, superman needing a superhero costume is not true. It was his and his predecessor's like the phantom's strongman outfit that started the 'costume culture' . He doesn't need to fit any mold, even the superhero one. Whatever he wears, if he feels like a wet towel it wouldn't matter, anyways . Superman should command respect. Another thing that people fail to get is that Superman becomes uninteresting when overexplained. His designs should be simple and down to earth, always. There is nothing more simpler than tshirt and jeans.i feel the same way for jon.
    Thank you for posting these.

They are all beautiful to look at.

The original costume is great...for the 1940s (and the 1950s). By the late 60s, it's outdated. By the 80s, he might as well wear red boxers on his head too (in my humble opinion).

But the Fleischer Superman cartoons...they were works of Art (Deco).

I prefer the jeans and tshirt too. But I think the last costume would get more popular acceptance.

Extraño!

IMG_0511.jpg

Catman

IMG_0524.jpg

Magpie

IMG_0133.JPG

I disagree (and it's fine that we do) about jeans. I agree he set the mold for modern superheroes. But for my preference, I don't want street-wear (for anyone, really). Sure, he could wear that and he'd still be Superman. But I don't find it visually interesting and it doesn't pop off the page to me. I don't find it distinctive at all (since civilians in this world have worn hero shirts) and being more "normal" I think, increases chances of being recognized (yeah, I know the vibrating face and hypnosis historical explanations). Also, it looks more dated when reading older works. And I associate it heavily with the teenage characters of a certain era (Kon, especially) and don't want the feeling of him copying the trends of them.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-16-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Mighty Member

I personally am REALLY REALLY REALLY happy that the Costume which Conner was wearing for some time (blue red together with blue red jacket) is gone.
    Especially the version where he was also wearing this strange (pink or red) Sun-Glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I disagree (and it's fine that we do) about jeans. I agree he set the mold for modern superheroes. But for my preference, I don't want street-wear (for anyone, really). Sure, he could wear that and he'd still be Superman. But I don't find it visually interesting and it doesn't pop off the page to me. I don't find it distinctive at all (since civilians in this world have worn hero shirts) and being more "normal" I think, increases chances of being recognized (yeah, I know the vibrating face and hypnosis historical explanations). Also, it looks more dated when reading older works. And I associate it heavily with the teenage characters of a certain era (Kon, especially) and don't want the feeling of him copying the trends of them.
    Simplicity has always been superman's plus point. It's not about street wear or not. It's about having the Superman swag. Which has been missing. Sure, anyone can wear a tshirt and jeans or underwear costume with an s on his chest. But, not everyone can pull it of and command respect.with all due respect to cw superman. But, It's like Taylor Hoechlin’s superman and Routh’s superman. Tyler is decent. But, Routh feels like superman.
    As i said, superman becomes uninteresting when overexplained. His secret id was always flimsy. It's a gag.it was always meant to be. Nothing more and nothing less. You either get the joke and wink with clark or you don't. Maybe the joke has become too old.

And the s isn't some great symbol of Krypton either. It's another over-explained nonsense as well. The things you mentioned like the hypnosis, vibrations.. Etc are similar nonsense. These explanations only exist because superman became uninteresting for people. So their cynical side took over and they started asking questions and putting realism on the front foot. The minute superman becomes interesting without explanations, again. We will strike gold. Untill then superman will continue to Flounder.
    It's the sameway i feel for jon. His first costume is the best till date.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.