Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

That's one good thing about Bendis deciding to out him. He doesn't wear a mask, and glasses DON'T hide your identity. Anyone should be able to tell that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person, and even if human eyes miss it, facial recognition software wouldn't. In real life, he'd have been exposed years ago. As such, him having a secret identity doesn't make a lot of sense any more. Superheroes with a secret identity and no mask are outdated.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's one good thing about Bendis deciding to out him. He doesn't wear a mask, and glasses DON'T hide your identity. Anyone should be able to tell that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person, and even if human eyes miss it, facial recognition software wouldn't. In real life, he'd have been exposed years ago. As such, him having a secret identity doesn't make a lot of sense any more. Superheroes with a secret identity and no mask are outdated.
    I've been saying this kind of thing for years. Ask my wife, she's likely sick of hearing about it. I don't see why Superman can't just be Superman all the damn time. Especially considering how busy he'd be. There is a job for Superman every second of every day somewhere in the world, and that's without even considering the wider universe.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

IMG_8580.jpg

The new 52 Wonder Woman costume...that we had for 15 minutes before DC chickened out and returned her to a swimsuit.

I think there are supposed to light blue stars on the legs and pink stars on the corset.

I wish it had been given a chance.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If you want to view it through the prism of realism. Why doesn't deadpool, harley quinn or she hulk talking to thin air(in story) illicit the same reaction?why because 4th wall breaking is another gag? Clark did the same thing you know. He acknowledges the 4th wall and ridiculousness of the situation. It has an essence to it as well, which is more than what i can say for some of the current day jokes. It just points out human mentality and prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post

I've been saying this kind of thing for years. Ask my wife, she's likely sick of hearing about it. I don't see why Superman can't just be Superman all the damn time. Especially considering how busy he'd be. There is a job for Superman every second of every day somewhere in the world, and that's without even considering the wider universe.
    Have you explained to your wife that it's a running joke and the character isn't supposed to be chained down by realism? but, i guess i can understand that superman hasn't been funny in ages. So much for harold lloyd influence. realism kicking in is quite natural.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Have you explained to your wife that it's a running joke and the character isn't supposed to be chained down by realism? but, i guess i can understand that superman hasn't been funny in ages. So much for harold lloyd influence. realism kicking in quite natural.
    I'm not sure I understand you fully. Superman comics are a running joke? I know some Superman stories from the Silver Age entertained some hilarious ideas but I didn't realize they were trying to be intentionally funny.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I'm not sure I understand you fully. Superman comics are a running joke? I know some Superman stories from the Silver Age entertained some hilarious ideas but I didn't realize they were trying to be intentionally funny.
    They were meant to be funny. Harold Lloyd was a comdian. One of the characters he portrayed was said to be an inspiration for clark kent persona and the running joke.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They were meant to be funny. Harold Lloyd was a comdian. One of the characters he portrayed was said to be an inspiration for clark kent persona and the running joke.
    Ah, well, I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks!

All that being said though, it really has been a long time since the Superman books have been considered funny/joke books. I'm interested to see where things will go with his secret identity exposed.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!

Ah, well, I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks!

All that being said though, it really has been a long time since the Superman books have been considered funny/joke books. I'm interested to see where things will go with his secret identity exposed.
    They weren't exactly joke books. It's just that the joke was part of the character, sort of like deadpool breaking fourth wall. Superman does a similar thing. He looks into the camera and winks.

BANNED

I liked Wonder Woman’s outfit from Amazo Virus onward always been one who opted more with the Greco-Roman Warrior vibes then Superhero or Swimsuit model look

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

1526947063171.jpg

I adore this outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    IMG_8580.jpg

The new 52 Wonder Woman costume...that we had for 15 minutes before DC chickened out and returned her to a swimsuit.
    This is easily my favorite Wonder Woman outfit too!
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!

Miss 90s Catwoman purple and black with the loose hair.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Miss 90s Catwoman purple and black with the loose hair.
    Yeah. Jim Balent's Catwoman is easily the best for me.

I wish Batman still had his yellow oval and bright yellow utility belt, and I wish he still wore gray and blue. As a child, I always found his color scheme really stimulating. The blacks and dark grays with no yellow accents are considerably more dull for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    IMG_8580.jpg

I think there are supposed to light blue stars on the legs and pink stars on the corset.

I wish it had been given a chance.

This is easily my favorite Wonder Woman outfit too!
    It deserved more of a chance as her superhero look. Save the battle skirt for Paradise Island.