Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I truly wonder...with so many people involved in these types of shows, and with many of those people presumably being comic book fans, fans of those specific characters, or both...did NOONE see that scene on the script and go, "WTF? How the hell is she going to be killed by electricity?"
    If the overarching plan was to kill her in order to resurrect her later on, at least kill her in a sensical way. I mean...couldn't they just come up with some sort of magical artifact that could kill godly beings or whatever? This show is indeed hot garbage.

I think the show does have it's highlights but, I agree that they way they killed off Donna was garbage. Especially considering the WW 1984 trailer where WW rode lightning. Donna and the Amazons are also blessed by Zeus and one would assume have some tolerance for lightning/electricity as Diana clearly displays.

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    Doesn't Deathstroke punch above his weight class in the comics too? Didn't he fight Diana and somehow not end up a smear on the pavement and he took on the Titans hismelf? I'm not justifying nonsensical writing, but it would at least be consistent.

I thought her advantage in strength and speed should have been a bit more evident in the fight. (You know if he ever fights Superboy they will make it abundantly clear how outmatched DS is.) I would not have been as bothered if Nightwing had not been able to go toe to toe with him. Yes, Rose had to help in the end, but he was putting up a much better showing than Donna did, even in the flashback fight. (As an aside, why were Donna and Dawn just sitting in the car while Dick was seemingly about to lose the fight. I would have liked Donna to at last try to avenge the Amazons he killed.) Starfire also did much better against him, but that at least is understandable.

All that being said, I've enjoyed the show quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Agree 100%. Even with enhanced strength and speed IDK if DS is a match for a room full of Amazons, let alone dispatch them with seemingly little effort. I mean, they're immortals imbued with gifts from the Greek Pantheon including Zeus himself who have trained as warriors for thousands of years and he just mopped the floor with them? Um. No. Then, to see how he easily took down Donna... Maybe if he had the element of surprise but, there's no way DS could outmatch Wonder Woman or either of her proteges in a fair fight. Case in point: in the Judas Contract, DS easily took down the NTT using stealth. He never faced Starfire or Donna in direct fair combat because, he'd lose.
    Deathstroke, since his inception has always been a team buster. From him taking on the Titans by himself, to even the Justice League. This really shouldn't be a surprise.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Deathstroke, since his inception has always been a team buster. From him taking on the Titans by himself, to even the Justice League. This really shouldn't be a surprise.
    In his first appearance in NTT, DS used deception and stealth to take down stronger members of the Titans. I have a difficult time believing he is a match for the more powerful members of the League or Titans teams in hand-to-hand combat.

Doesn't Deathstroke punch above his weight class in the comics too? Didn't he fight Diana and somehow not end up a smear on the pavement and he took on the Titans hismelf? I'm not justifying nonsensical writing, but it would at least be consistent.

I thought her advantage in strength and speed should have been a bit more evident in the fight. (You know if he ever fights Superboy they will make it abundantly clear how outmatched DS is.) I would not have been as bothered if Nightwing had not been able to go toe to toe with him. Yes, Rose had to help in the end, but he was putting up a much better showing than Donna did, even in the flashback fight. (As an aside, why were Donna and Dawn just sitting in the car while Dick was seemingly about to lose the fight. I would have liked Donna to at last try to avenge the Amazons he killed.) Starfire also did much better against him, but that at least is understandable.

All that being said, I've enjoyed the show quite a bit.
    Agree 100%. Even with enhanced strength and speed IDK if DS is a match for a room full of Amazons, let alone dispatch them with seemingly little effort. I mean, they're immortals imbued with gifts from the Greek Pantheon including Zeus himself who have trained as warriors for thousands of years and he just mopped the floor with them? Um. No. Then, to see how he easily took down Donna... Maybe if he had the element of surprise but, there's no way DS could outmatch Wonder Woman or either of her proteges in a fair fight. Case in point: in the Judas Contract, DS easily took down the NTT using stealth. He never faced Starfire or Donna in direct fair combat because, he'd lose.
    In his first appearance in NTT, DS used deception and stealth to take down stronger members of the Titans. I have a difficult time believing he is a match for the more powerful members of the League or Titans teams in hand-to-hand combat.
    However he took them down, the point is he took them down. Also, he does have a degree of Super Strength, and to be honest, we know that the writers don't pay as close attention to the comic as they should, because they are going to tell the story they want to tell. In the Arrow/DC Streaming Universe, he could simply have Super STrength to the degree that they need him to have, which would mean he can go toe-to-toe with Donna, Garth etc.

He has been shown in the comics, though I hate it, to fight Diana, until she got tired of playing games with him, but he was making her sweat. It was a bad showing on Diana's part, but there are issues with him being able to keep up with people in her league.

And stop saying Zeus has gifted the Amazons, outside of now being Diana's father, he has had little to do with the Amazons other than in Post Crisis Continuity when he tried to Rape Diana and Hippolyte and Hera stopped him.
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Haven't watched the show, don't really plan to. But I'd like to remind everyone of that time in NTT when Dick was able to hold his own against Slade and escape from him with a busted ankle.

So no way should Donna be losing against Slade if they ever threw down in a straight up fight. And Slade has been a useless creator's pet/ridiculous uber badass between Perez's departure on NTT and Priest's run.

Amazing Member

However he took them down, the point is he took them down. Also, he does have a degree of Super Strength, and to be honest, we know that the writers don't pay as close attention to the comic as they should, because they are going to tell the story they want to tell. In the Arrow/DC Streaming Universe, he could simply have Super STrength to the degree that they need him to have, which would mean he can go toe-to-toe with Donna, Garth etc.

He has been shown in the comics, though I hate it, to fight Diana, until she got tired of playing games with him, but he was making her sweat. It was a bad showing on Diana's part, but there are issues with him being able to keep up with people in her league.
    I think the "how" does matter. Taking down someone like Donna or SF in a straight H2H might raise an eye brow, but if he used other tactics to accomplish the task, that is more plausible. For him to fight Donna and SF one on one and win, but then struggle against Dick seems odd. It is especially so when they had Donna fight Connor and seemingly hold her own. I just think the power levels for her are a bit all over the map.

I referenced the comics 1) I was not sure he had similar feats, but heard he had and 2) to point out it's not just the writers on the show that are having him punch out of his league. Fighting Diana and forcing her to "get serious" seems like both a ridiculously high showing and a lowballing of WW. It's not a case of the tv writers not paying attention to the comics. It's them not paying attention to the characters they created.

I have no problem with DS being able to take down any of the Titans. I just don't think he should be fighting Donna the same way he fights Dick. Also, the cynic in me just knows they wouldn't do the same thing to Connor.

All that being said, I don't think the show is "garbage." There were a lot of other moments I enjoyed.

I think the "how" does matter. Taking down someone like Donna or SF in a straight H2H might raise an eye brow, but if he used other tactics to accomplish the task, that is more plausible. For him to fight Donna and SF one on one and win, but then struggle against Dick seems odd. It is especially so when they had Donna fight Connor and seemingly hold her own. I just think the power levels for her are a bit all over the map.

I referenced the comics 1) I was not sure he had similar feats, but heard he had and 2) to point out it's not just the writers on the show that are having him punch out of his league. Fighting Diana and forcing her to "get serious" seems like both a ridiculously high showing and a lowballing of WW. It's not a case of the tv writers not paying attention to the comics. It's them not paying attention to the characters they created.

I have no problem with DS being able to take down any of the Titans. I just don't think he should be fighting Donna the same way he fights Dick. Also, the cynic in me just knows they wouldn't do the same thing to Connor.

All that being said, I don't think the show is "garbage." There were a lot of other moments I enjoyed.
    I'm going to believe that this isn't the first time you've read comics where the far less powerful opponent takes down the far superior one. How many of Superman villains can honestly give him a real fight as opposed to those that cannot? (Toy Man, The PRankster, etc.) Yet they win sometimes.

None of this is new. They needed the villain to be a bad ass, and we don't know HOW powerful he is compared to his comic counterpart, but if he's taking on a novice Donna (And she was as it was 5 years earlier) then I don't see the problem really. We saw in the current year she was a far superior opponent and Slade probably wouldn't have been able to do that again.
    Richard Alexander

Amazing Member

I'm going to believe that this isn't the first time you've read comics where the far less powerful opponent takes down the far superior one. How many of Superman villains can honestly give him a real fight as opposed to those that cannot? (Toy Man, The PRankster, etc.) Yet they win sometimes.

None of this is new. They needed the villain to be a bad ass, and we don't know HOW powerful he is compared to his comic counterpart, but if he's taking on a novice Donna (And she was as it was 5 years earlier) then I don't see the problem really. We saw in the current year she was a far superior opponent and Slade probably wouldn't have been able to do that again.
    I'm going to assume that you are misinterpreting my posts. I don't have a problem with DS beating Donna. I'm the one who mentioned that, to my vague recollection, he was always a team threat to the Titans and that he's fought Diana one on one in the comics. Of course I know that "far less powerful"opponents take on more powerful heroes all the time.

My issue with the scene (and your second reply) is that the how does matter. No matter the need to make a villain "badass," to have Toy Man, to borrow your example, beat Superman in a straight up H2H fight would be beyond believable. Though likely still improbable, the writers would come up with an excuse or some other means for him to pose a threat.

As I said, my only gripe with the fight was that there should have been a noticeable difference in strength and speed between the two, even with DS winning. That has nothing to do with Donna being a novice. If you want to argue that this DS might have some form of super strength, then why does it not appear so when he fights Dick? It's inconsistent writing. Shocker. It happens all the time in the comics too, another point I already mentioned. I don't like it it in any medium. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here at least with respect to my posts.

This iteration of the Titans is essentially Grayson acting as a proxy for Batman, who knows all and somehow always remains the last man standing.

First episode I saw was the one that first showed Donna Troy onscreen, and I love the actor portraying her.

But so much about the character was just adapted poorly: Deathstroke slicing and dicing her while Grayson lasted longer in hand to hand combat? Death by electrocution but can withstand and punch back at Conner?

Such trash.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I truly wonder...with so many people involved in these types of shows, and with many of those people presumably being comic book fans, fans of those specific characters, or both...did NOONE see that scene on the script and go, "WTF? How the hell is she going to be killed by electricity?"
    If the overarching plan was to kill her in order to resurrect her later on, at least kill her in a sensical way. I mean...couldn't they just come up with some sort of magical artifact that could kill godly beings or whatever? This show is indeed hot garbage.
    That's adding insult to injury because the show airs through a freaking streaming service named "DC Universe" so one would expect hard core DC fans who subscribe to it and know the lore would immediately react negatively to something as stupid as killing off Donna Troy via electricity. The writers should have known better given the parameters they're working in and their show's intended audience.

One pays a premium for DC Universe, but its serving up garbage like Donna Troy's death may be a dealbreaker for a bunch of subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    That's adding insult to injury because the show airs through a freaking streaming service named "DC Universe" so one would expect hard core DC fans who subscribe to it and know the lore would immediately react negatively to something as stupid as killing off Donna Troy via electricity. The writers should have known better given the parameters they're working in and their show's intended audience.

One pays a premium for DC Universe, but its serving up garbage like Donna Troy's death may be a dealbreaker for a bunch of subscribers.
    Well, SUPERMAN has been nearly killed with electricity. It's a matter of using enough voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, SUPERMAN has been nearly killed with electricity. It's a matter of using enough voltage.
    Admittedly, I cannot recall when Superman almost died of electrocution, but regardless, the amount of electricity the show used to kill Donna Troy based on comic book canon, which has shown her and even non meta Titans survive stronger energy blasts, should not have been sufficient to kill her.

It was just super stupid of the writers and show runners to do so.

Deathstroke is easiest to describe as an evil Batman. He knows most supers will wipe the floor with him, so he finds ways to give himself an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Deathstroke is easiest to describe as an evil Batman. He knows most supers will wipe the floor with him, so he finds ways to give himself an edge.
    And he has Super Strength anyway. Now to what degree is debatable, he’s above peak human in the comics. There is nothing saying that they didn’t make him even stronger in the show. And again Donna was still training when they first fought. And she got her licks in as well. I doubt that would even the same way 5 years later.
    Richard Alexander