Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Padme and Obiwan would have been a better couple

I understand Anakin and Padme had to be a couple to establish the story of the original trilogy. In a more realistic universe, Padme and Obiwan would have been the couple. I felt that those two characters had the same maturity, personality and mindset of the world. they were more compatible from the little interaction we saw.

Anakin was immature and bratty. There is no correct logic why Padme would be attracted to him even from a motherly view point. If not that the story demanded a paddle like figure to be Luke and Leia's mother. Padme and Obiwan would be the central couple in star wars helping raise their bratty son Anakin. I have seen some Padme and Obiwan shippers in the star wars fandom. Anakin and Padme seems to be on every worst chemistry list in fiction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    In a more realistic universe, Padme and Obiwan would have been the couple.
    They have nothing in common.

I felt that those two characters had the same maturity, personality and mindset of the world. they were more compatible from the little interaction we saw.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is a tried and true Jedi warrior monk, totally celibate. He wouldn't look at another woman. It's not in his character to do so (at least based on how Lucas saw him).

Anakin was immature and bratty. There is no correct logic why Padme would be attracted to him even from a motherly view point.
    He's good-looking, young, comes from a poor slave background, so a royal like Padme who's so philanthropic and committed to the lower classes would be drawn to him, in a kind of uptown girl wanting someone rough sense, and a sense of romantic "I can change/fix him sense".

Anakin and Padme seems to be on every worst chemistry list in fiction.
    The point of that relationship was it to be a tragic, doomed, romance made by two flawed people (and yeah, Padme IS flawed too). It's not supposed to be a charismatic romance like Han and Leia.

We had a thread about improving the prequels and one of the suggestions was to make Anakin/Padme/Obi a love triangle.

I could see that working.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I understand Anakin and Padme had to be a couple to establish the story of the original trilogy. In a more realistic universe, Padme and Obiwan would have been the couple. I felt that those two characters had the same maturity, personality and mindset of the world. they were more compatible from the little interaction we saw.

Anakin was immature and bratty. There is no correct logic why Padme would be attracted to him even from a motherly view point. If not that the story demanded a paddle like figure to be Luke and Leia's mother. Padme and Obiwan would be the central couple in star wars helping raise their bratty son Anakin. I have seen some Padme and Obiwan shippers in the star wars fandom. Anakin and Padme seems to be on every worst chemistry list in fiction.
    When I first watched the Prequel's, I thought the very same thing. If I was Padme, I would have tried for Obi-Wan, (he was hot, IMO! ). Except I'm sure he would have turned her down, since he was so entrenched in the ways of the Jedi and no spouses thing.
    Anakin was like wildfire, unhinged, and unpredictable as his inner anger grew.
    But in life many times, opposites attract, so there you go.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Lucas sort of toyed with the concept when writing early versions of TPM when Obi-Wan was pretty much given Qui-Gon's role.

Obi-Wan was sort of given a love interest in Clone Wars (Satine) although apparently it was mainly during his Padawan days, he chose the Jedi over her, and their friendship was largely platonic during their reunions.

Her name is pretty obviously a Moulin Rouge reference, although Henry Gilroy denied it.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-16-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Lucas sort of toyed with the concept when writing early versions of TPM when Obi-Wan was pretty much given Qui-Gon's role.

Obi-Wan was sort of given a love interest in Clone Wars (Satine) although apparently it was mainly during his Padawan days, he chose the Jedi over her, and their friendship was largely platonic during their reunions.

Her name is pretty obviously a Moulin Rouge reference, although Henry Gilroy denied it.
    I always though that Obi-Wan and Ventress had a little bit of "tension" between each other. Most of that was pushed to Legends so that connection has be erased, thought I like it better than the Satine one.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They have nothing in common.
    Other than better on screen chemistry, that is. Admittedly, that's a pretty low bar.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Other than better on screen chemistry, that is. Admittedly, that's a pretty low bar.
    Padne and Anakin have better chemistry. In scenes like when the two visit Owen and Beru’s house has n Tatooine when she holds him against the expanse. When they kiss before the arena. And when she tells him she’s pregnant.

I was never a supporter of this mainly just because I didn't want to see anything Obi-Wan directly did influence Anakin's turn in such a way, beyond his teaching methods.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If Anakin and Obi were more contemporaries since the beginning, I would be down with Padme being into Obi. He treats her like a friend but ignores the love element. Maybe they kiss and Obi sorta rejects her? So she runs to Anakin and he gets jealous upon finding out after they've be together awhile.

Friendship over. Padme gets her heart broken. Obi feels guilty for never telling Anakin. Yet another reason Vader is born. Gives Padme and Obi some needed layers while also fleshing out Anakin's turn a bit deeper.

Gives Obi that sense of duty with guarding over Luke, too.

I dunno, I thought it would a great added element.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-16-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Don't think Obi-Wan and Padme as an item would've been a good idea. Ironically, Anakin had his suspicions in the non-canon ROTS novelization.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I always though that Obi-Wan and Ventress had a little bit of "tension" between each other. Most of that was pushed to Legends so that connection has be erased, thought I like it better than the Satine one.
    Well, there was a little bit in the Clone Wars movie, which is still canon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was never a supporter of this mainly just because I didn't want to see anything Obi-Wan directly did influence Anakin's turn in such a way, beyond his teaching methods.
    Although it was largely cut out of the films, there seems to be a bit of an implication that Obi-Wan knows something's been going on with Anakin and Padme, but decides out of his respect for them to not alert the council. Part of the reason he goes directly to Padme to find out where Anakin's going. (Another earlier visit before Anakin's fall is mentioned in the film, but not shown)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    If Anakin and Obi were more contemporaries since the beginning, I would be down with Padme being into Obi. He treats her like a friend but ignores the love element. Maybe they kiss and Obi sorta rejects her? So she runs to Anakin and he gets jealous upon finding out after they've be together awhile.
    Which kind of makes her responsible for Anakin going dark, rather than his own damn fault. Man, it's impressive how much more feminist Lucas is compared to the people who complain about his movies. Padme isn't responsible for Anakin's turn to the dark side in the movies nor is she held responsible for it in the movies. She in fact represents everything good in Anakin that he rejects.

Gives Padme and Obi some needed layers while also fleshing out Anakin's turn a bit deeper.

Gives Obi that sense of duty with guarding over Luke, too.
    That ignores Obi-Wan Kenobi's actual character across all 6 films. Obi-Wan Kenobi is a die-hard Jedi loyalist and true-believer. He always puts loyalty to the Jedi over his feelings. He's meant to be the "perfect Jedi"...you know when Yoda tells Luke to ignore his friends' cries for help while in Dagobah, in that situation Obi-Wan would absolutely have followed Yoda's orders and not gone ahead like Luke.

Obi-Wan is also extremely manipulative towards Luke. He lied to Luke's face about Anakin and was more or less training him to commit Patricide, and he outright orders Luke to do it in ROTJ.

Obi-Wan's "sense of duty guarding over Luke" (as Lucas saw it in the original six films) is primarily training him as a hitman to one day kill his ex-friend, so what if that hitman is the son of best friend. That's a crude way of putting it but that's what Obi-Wan actually does. He likes Luke of course, loves him greatly, but at the end of the day, Obi-Wan puts the Jedi above feelings.

SO it would be quite out-of-character for Obi-Wan to have a personal motivation. Obi-Wan has plenty of depths and shades to him in the movies as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Padne and Anakin have better chemistry. In scenes like when the two visit Owen and Beru’s house has n Tatooine when she holds him against the expanse. When they kiss before the arena. And when she tells him she’s pregnant.
    Please tell me what version of the prequel trilogy you watched, because it sounds nothing like the version that was in the theaters anyone I know saw. Inert materials have more chemistry than Padme and Anakin did. I wasn't convinced those two wanted to be in the same room together, much less carrying on a secret affair. Just because actors read lines telling us they had feelings for each other doesn't mean they did so effectively.

I don't think Obi-Wan and Padme as even a whiff of anything romantic would have been a good story, but the story we were told wasn't sold worth a damn.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Please tell me what version of the prequel trilogy you watched, because it sounds nothing like the version that was in the theaters anyone I know saw.
    The prequels were commercially mega-successes and consistently do well in re-releases and home video well after the backlash, so the "anyone I know saw" you refer to is charitably speaking a very small sample. I would say an extremely small sample. So small as to be fairly unrepresentative and marginal.