Spectacular Member

Default No-preview experiment everyone should try

I largely stopped reading super hero comics after secret wars and recently started again with immortal hulk and then tried the x-men because of Hickman. In part inspired by his hate of previews, in part because I am following very few books, I decided to stop reading previews of comics before the comic themselves, not differently than when I have started reading comics in the 80s. I was really surprised by how better the reading experience is, not knowing already what happens in 3-4 pages of the book (it’s 20% of the whole story after all, like watching a 25 minutes movie trailer) make the reading more satisfying and long, and not knowing what to expect from the issue always makes for a surprising experience. With comics being so short and expensive I really suggest everyone to give it a try, I really think now that this online preview thing is stealing a lot of the fun of reading comics.

BANNED

I like reading previews. They give me a good idea whether or not a certain issue is worth reading!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I like reading previews. They give me a good idea whether or not a certain issue is worth reading!
    So you use to skips issues of books you read when you don’t like the preview? Does that makes more difficult to follow the story or it’s indifferent?

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Same. It helps out a lot with dodging bullets like Fallen Angels.

Mighty Member

The previews help me not spend money on books I don't support. Case in point, Fantastic Four. I dropped it a long time ago and listen to it by word of mouth or Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    I largely stopped reading super hero comics after secret wars and recently started again with immortal hulk and then tried the x-men because of Hickman. In part inspired by his hate of previews, in part because I am following very few books, I decided to stop reading previews of comics before the comic themselves, not differently than when I have started reading comics in the 80s. I was really surprised by how better the reading experience is, not knowing already what happens in 3-4 pages of the book (it’s 20% of the whole story after all, like watching a 25 minutes movie trailer) make the reading more satisfying and long, and not knowing what to expect from the issue always makes for a surprising experience. With comics being so short and expensive I really suggest everyone to give it a try, I really think now that this online preview thing is stealing a lot of the fun of reading comics.
    When the surprise is good, I agree it is better not to see any preview.
    But, as you say, comics are expensive… either you trust the author and you buy his work with your eyes closed or it's a bet.
    I tend to look through things before buying.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

If I'm buying something, I just look at the art and ignore the copy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

I will approach this from the idea that most of the people are going to buy the book anyway, (and then complain about even though they had a preview).

It is usually how I read things, since most of the things I read don't exactly have previews that anyone cares to start a thread about and I do not go looking for previews. I cannot say if it is better or worse, but I do find sometimes that if I read the preview (recently) then it sometimes makes it easier to get into the story when the actual issue comes out. I think what makes the previews detract from the story is talking about the previews with other people and getting too many opinions bouncing around the brain.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Been there-done that.
    Back in my day...when there was no internet/WiFi I didn't have previews. So I appreciate having them now.
    Previews are fun. Full Stop.
    And they don't take away from the over-all reading experience once I have the book in hand.
    Besides, if there were no previews posters here won't know what to do with themselves for lack of arguments and complaints...they will all expire from ennui.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

previews are pretty good. not okay to be without them

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

In the old days we would just flip through the books in the stores before buying so it is really not the different. Any book can catch you with a flashy cover. I have seen many the cover looks great then you open the book and the interior art looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old.