Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Would a stuntman work or too jock also?
    I recommended Stuntman a couple of pages ago, I don't think it's too jock. I consider it to be really interesting, Dick out of all people knows how to fall. It would also add to Bludhaven being a film site like Vancouver. If not then it provides a reason for him to travel.

Although I don't see a producer letting Dick be a stuntman for too long given his pretty boy status so he might get promoted to being an actor.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I recommended Stuntman a couple of pages ago, I don't think it's too jock. I consider it to be really interesting, Dick out of all people knows how to fall. It would also add to Bludhaven being a film site like Vancouver. If not then it provides a reason for him to travel.

Although I don't see a producer letting Dick be a stuntman for too long given his pretty boy status so he might get promoted to being an actor.
    I like it! I maintain the opinion that the stories are more interesting if Dick Grayson is the public celebrity figure instead of Bruce Wayne. Just makes more sense IMO. The only challenge is his domino mask disguise becomes more suspect.

Okay, Stuntman. The only issue would be the public eye. I mean he generally is somewhat treated as the everyman in someways. How often is he in the public eye? One thing about this we can have a few mobsters funded films which can help Dick still work with the mob. He can also help people who are doing movies or any entertainment field gave confidence.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-25-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I like it! I maintain the opinion that the stories are more interesting if Dick Grayson is the public celebrity figure instead of Bruce Wayne. Just makes more sense IMO. The only challenge is his domino mask disguise becomes more suspect.
    Tbf, the domino masking his identity was always so suspect that we’ve already had to suspend that particular disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Tbf, the domino masking his identity was always so suspect that we’ve already had to suspend that particular disbelief.
    It's extremely suspect especially if you rock the same hairstyle in your civilian life. The people close to you and your coworkers would know.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

It's extremely suspect especially if you rock the same hairstyle in your civilian life. The people close to you and your coworkers would know.
    This is also the universe in which Clark Kent kept his identity a secret through spectacles and slouching. Outcries (which are made in general, but haven't been made in this thread, to be clear) of "people would find out his identity!" are ridiculous.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Although I don't see a producer letting Dick be a stuntman for too long given his pretty-boy status so he might get promoted to being an actor.
    Not if he can't act. He'll be back to be a stuntman if... no... wait... nevermind, it was me who said he's a really good performer and suggested Theater.

Okay, Stuntman. The only issue would be the public eye. I mean he generally is somewhat treated as the everyman in someways. How often is he in the public eye? One thing about this we can have a few mobsters funded films which can help Dick still work with the mob. He can also help people who are doing movies or any entertainment field gave confidence.
    Stuntmen aren't that public. People generally don't know who the stuntmen are unless they actually look, and most won't.

Superman changes his voice and hair. However, the argument can be made that many people actually due to the popularity wear similar styles. So why would anyone blink? Not only that depending on city no one would look twice and think it was a joke.

If Grayson worked as a stuntman how could this be made interesting? I do we see this has a arc? Or help him with his job as a vigilante

If Grayson worked as a stuntman how could this be made interesting? I do we see this has a arc? Or help him with his job as a vigilante
    I still maintain that the best job for Dick is "full time hero" but if he became a stunt man.....

There's a potential arc in Dick learning the job, getting good at it, and slowly moving up the ladder until he's the guy coordinating and designing the stunts. I don't think there's an abundance of narrative road there, as I understand it these companies tend to be on the smaller, flatter side (as in, few layers of management or positions to advance to) but it's something. And of course, there's plenty of stuff to do with new people joining the crew (just for a specific job or as new full time hires), new actors, producers, directors, camera men, etc., to deal with on each job, people getting hurt doing stunts, corruption within any of the various levels of Hollywood that this job would put in Dick's path, etc.

I don't think any of that is overly unique or fitting for Dick specifically, nor is it stuff he has to be on the inside to deal with (we all know Hollywood is corrupt) but it's still on the table.

There's also the potential of Dick, with his good looks and acting ability (he's led a double life since he was a kid, he can act) moving from stunts to acting. But Dick as an actor feels like it might not be the best option. Those guys pull long days, are constantly moving from one location to the next......the demands on Dick's time would get in the way of his Nightwing work. And this puts Dick in the spotlight, which is something he's never wanted or enjoyed. I suppose you could have some fun with a director trying to get Dick to act in the movie (Wayne's super sexy kid, who's the most eligible bachelor on the East coast, starring in someone's movie? Of course they'd want that) and Dick refusing, over and over again. But that's a joke that'll get old fast.

On the bright side, this would allow the comic to delve into the highly popular superhero movie genre, and through the story we could get a look at how these films are made, which would be really cool (also something we can see in blu-ray bonus features). And you could do some fun gimmicks like where Dick fights "Batman" but it's really just an actor in his movie suit, and they're just filming a scene.

I don't really think it benefits his job as Nightwing at all. This....what? Gives him access to the corrupt people in the film industry? He doesn't need to work there as Dick to fight against it as Nightwing, and his social status already gives him access. If the eldest ward of Bruce Wayne wants to visit a movie set, who's gonna say no?

It's not a *bad* fit for Dick, don't get me wrong. I just don't see it adding much.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

How would he could money from being a hero? The right job would have to be helping others more than fighting crime. Since he fights crime as Nightwing. Dick never finished college?

One other question is this. If Bludhaven is suppose to be a sister city or at least close to Gotham how much of crime that happens in Gotham go to Bludhaven? The same with Bludhaven
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

How would he could money from being a hero? The right job would have to be helping others more than fighting crime. Since he fights crime as Nightwing. Dick never finished college?

One other question is this. If Bludhaven is suppose to be a sister city or at least close to Gotham how much of crime that happens in Gotham go to Bludhaven? The same with Bludhaven
    The initial setup of Bludhaven's debut was Nightwing stopping Black Mask's expansion to Bludhaven.
    He succeeded, but then Blockbuster moves in.
    After Blockbuster's killed, The Penguin moves in.
    Those are the big ones that happened in the span of years in real-time.
    There are smaller ones include Scarecrow and me think Man-Bat but I don't know how often.

In the new continuity, Blockbuster and Tiger Shark from Gotham brought in not just Gotham villains, but DCU villains to a Nightwing beat-up party off Bludhaven coast
    Then Sparrow(?) moves in because her former disciple, The Defacer is in Bludhaven.
    The next arc is The Judge from Dick's past
    Two arcs later it's Scarecrow
    The next arc is Joker's Daughter
    The Court of Owls
    Then Joker

So I guess every one or two arcs (a few months) for small excursions and a few years for the mob leaders and their entourage.

With Dick's life and others, he was raised. Maybe something with children?

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I think there's way to incorporate what you like about the circus into a non-circus status quo. I like those elements too — the colorful oddballs, the animals, the performative side of Dick. Here's how I would add that onto the pitch I laid out in my previous response, in which Dick is the Director of Charitable Undertakings for the Wayne Foundation. (Dick is the DCU).

His job is to use the Wayne money to make the world a better place. Remember "Batkid" back in like ...2013 I think it was? The thing where San Francisco's "Make A Wish" foundation created a city-wide scenario for a kid with cancer so he could go on a play-pretend Batman adventure? Imagine it's Dick's job to create experiences like that on a daily basis, worldwide.

Sometimes he's building houses. Sometimes he's delivering the greatest show on earth. Sometimes he's just a counselor to a kid in crisis. Dick Grayson as DCU of the WF (acronym pun intended) is a public presence, he's verified on social media.

Dick is a natural fit for being famous. As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't love Bruce as a celebrity in part because I think that trait makes more sense for Dick Grayson, who would be a fun celebrity (Dick Grayson would be a good guest on talk shows or podcasts; Bruce Wayne would not).

I like that it combines Dick's resume:
    —Circus performer / gymnast / athlete / circus co-owner
    —Police officer
    —Social worker

What the circus brings out of Dick are the traits I like a lot — he gets to be very giving, very accepted and accepting, and also very cocky and daredevil. It's more fun for the story and the reader when Dick/Nightwing is having fun (which is also why Ric is such a bore).

But I think you get that, and better, with "Charity director." It's unique to Dick and unique to his role in the DCU, in and out of costume. Dick was created to bring light to Batman, in-universe, and meta-textually. By having Dick embody the compassionate side of Batman more directly, Dick becomes the antidote to the increasingly popular and increasingly relevant idea of Batman as deranged class warfare with the mega-rich preying on the weak and scared.

"Charity Director" with big funding from the world's rare compassionate corporation. In the modern performative mixed-media-reality age, with the comic book technology — Dick could bring in a Green Lantern to help make the world's best bounce-house, while Haly's Circus brings the animals for a petting zoo. Cynics would say Wayne is just doing this for show. But anyone that works with Dick Grayson knows the intentions are sincere. Dick Grayson can be any age but he should always be the "Boy Wonder." He is "Robin [Hood], the Boy Wonder." The tone of character implied by that phrase, to me, should be core to the character's DNA. It's not "Boy Struggler" or "Boy Failure" or "Boy NeverAMan"... Boy Wonder. Fun, flip, fast, friendly... fuhgeddaboutit.

Leslie Thompkins working with Dick Grayson ... has this ever happened?? I... I'm sure they've interacted but for the life of me can't think of any examples of them, one-on-one or even otherwise. I remember Jason with Leslie, Selina with Leslie, Steph with Leslie, tons of Bruce/Alfred with Leslie... but damn, blanking on Dick/Leslie.

Lastly, "Charity Director" is an open-ended concept. It can morph into being whatever it needs to be, that's the point of it, the adaptability (another element in which the job mirrors Dick as a character).

It would be hacky for the connection to the crime/superhero plot to be that "villain kills/kidnaps charity kid." So, as the editors of this new direction in this fantasy world, we would make sure that none of these geezers try to pitch that. Instead, the connection would be the reverse of that.... remember that this charity is a revamped version of "Victims Inc" -- these Make-A-Wish experiences that Dick creates also brings him closer to learning about the crime that created the tragedy that his charity is addressing. So this is basically like Make-A-Wish for people who have had loved ones killed by the a supervillain.

Or it's fine when it doesn't connect at all. Especially if he has a coworker like Leslie Thompkins (and I think also Luke Fox), his day job life could connect just by Dick bouncing ideas off his coworkers.
    Casually walked in to this thread expecting nothing interesting... and then there's this golden post. I need to be living in the timeline where this is Dick's ongoing status quo.

Charity directors sound good. He gets to talk to others and help them too. He can also do it in his home or office. Thinking about it more. What if Dick had found a business that was run by the mob, took the company and tired it into a legit one.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-29-2019 at 03:51 PM.

With Dick's life and others, he was raised. Maybe something with children?
    You mean like running an orphanage?