Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh yeah, he broke the record on... base jumping? He jumped with an oxygen tank at the top of the atmosphere.
    It was during Tomasi's era I think.

Sports would be interesting. I don’t know he would be I’m more in the public eye a lot. That would make it hard to disappear.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-21-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Stuntman I don’t hate.
    Me neither, actually. Maybe Bludhaven could be something like Vancouver. Just an alternate city where film and television productions take place. This is probably my favorite suggestion so far. It totally makes sense and plays into his physicality and daredevil-like nature.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Could be a stuntman for superhero movies even, LoL.

In the Hanna-Barbera crossover, he's asked by Magilla Gorilla to help make a film based on the Flying Graysons.

Yea stuntman can work. Whether it be regular or for superhero one. Maybe a few times a actor for a few movies. I say this if a mob funded the movie. How good are his disguise

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I'd say have him be the owner of Haley's Circus, but he keeps busy in his civilian life as a P.I. Alternatively, replace the P.I. work by bringing back the Searchers Inc concept the Adeline Kane ran back in the Wolfman era. He could secretly run it, but is an agent. This could bring his espionage and investigative skills into play.

Definitely do NOT favor the "slacker moving back to Wayne Manor and anti-capitalist" idea I saw upthread. Some characters are a natural fit for for being turned into a political mouthpiece. He hasn't really ever been that character.

True. That would be interesting. So far all these ideas are good. I wonder him being a poker dealer could be interesting. If anything this can play into his P.I. He could be doing them all the same time every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Y'know, I'd love to get a pm going sometime and iron out a whole thing with this. Mix and match our ideas until we've got a actual story and setting. Just for the creative fun of it, obviously.
    Very down. Hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've suggested Dick going into professional extreme sports, like snowboarding or something. Didn't catch on here, though.
    So all of this makes perfect sense for the character, especially skiing or snowboarding as they are rather expensive hobbies, but snowboarding in particular seems to have a certain "laid back" culture about it. It'd give him the spotlight which he loves without him being too much of a celebrity (we all know Shaun White's name, and maybe we'd recognize off the slopes, but its not the same level as say... Leo Messi or Brad Pitt). It'd make him wealthy enough to operate as a hero, he probably wouldnt be able to fund all the mechs and jet planes and such, but he'd do fine with a supplying himself with gadgets.

The more I think about it the more I like it. For some reason it just doesnt pass the "feels right" test, ya know? Can't logically explain why, but it feels "off" somehow. Good way to go if we're starting with an editorial mandate of "Dick is not a spy. He has to have a day job. He has to stay in the Bat family."

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Me neither, actually. Maybe Bludhaven could be something like Vancouver. Just an alternate city where film and television productions take place. This is probably my favorite suggestion so far. It totally makes sense and plays into his physicality and daredevil-like nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Could be a stuntman for superhero movies even, LoL.
    Again, I'm not sure why i don't like stuntman, but I DO love the idea about Bludhaven being an off hollywood film studio locale. Lots of those are popping up around the country, honestly. New Mexico and Georgia have both given tax incentives for film studios to use their states. And him being a stunt double for superhero movies is hilarious.

Okay. So if we go with a stuntman. Maybe just maybe he finds some interesting thing about Bludhaven's film industry. THat maybe actors are paid to do stuff. Maybe some women are actually forced to be hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    I'd say have him be the owner of Haley's Circus, but he keeps busy in his civilian life as a P.I. Alternatively, replace the P.I. work by bringing back the Searchers Inc concept the Adeline Kane ran back in the Wolfman era. He could secretly run it, but is an agent. This could bring his espionage and investigative skills into play.

Definitely do NOT favor the "slacker moving back to Wayne Manor and anti-capitalist" idea I saw upthread. Some characters are a natural fit for for being turned into a political mouthpiece. He hasn't really ever been that character.
    I really like P.I. just in general so I support this.

Now the second question is his living situation. Should he love in the heat of the action? And two if he did a have his own version of the Batcave where would it be ? I guess in his apt. A portable computer

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Now the second question is his living situation. Should he love in the heart of the action? And two if he did a have his own version of the Batcave where would it be? I guess in his apt. A portable computer
    He canonically likes to be around people and wants to get to know the people he's going to save and the crimes he has to stop. That's why he tends to choose cheap apartments in a lower-middle-class neighborhood.

Well, sometimes he's broke but even if he's not he'll still choose those places anyway.

His Batcave's have been in his apartment building where he bought a second room/loft then alter and reinforce it (New 52) , an abandoned underground facility like a subway (Rebirth), or within a cliff overlooking the city (The New Batman Adventures comic adaptation)

Far as I can remember Dick usually chooses to stay in the heart of the city, close to where his patrol is. He likes being "among the people" instead of removed out on the edge of the city limits like Wayne manor is.

I think he's kept his "cave" both in the same location as his apartment and at a separate (but nearby) location. I'd say that given a choice, he'd have his cave in the same building. That's how he did it in Dixon's run (if I remember right) and that's one of the times when he got to do things the way he wanted to, instead of having to compromise due to limitations (like when he went to Chicago and didn't even have the resources to repair or replace his costume).

I also think Dick prefers being on the top floor rather than the lower floors, and prefers smaller apartments to larger ones. He likes the coziness of a small space I think, and it reminds him of the trailers he lived in as a kid. I suspect his apartment has very few "signs" of wealth and status; it's probably faded posters of the Flying Graysons and bands Dick listens to, photos of family and friends (the Bats, Wally, Donna, Roy, etc.) and old, comfortable furniture, rather than overpriced modern art and furniture that's "form over function." Dick should live well below his means; if you didn't know his name you'd never suspect that his "dad" is one of the richest people on earth.

Edit: didn't see Restingvoice's post. Basically everything they said. And now....I wonder, what *does* Dick listen to for music? I don't know if I've seen him talk about it on panel. Personally I can't see him listening to rock and metal like I do. I see him listening to pop, even worse modern pop. But maybe that's just twitter influencing me. Maybe he'd be down with some classic stuff like the Stones and Aerosmith but I bet he knows the words to a lot of Lady Gaga songs.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-22-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

He could be a dancer, aerobics or gymnastic instructor. Stuntman sounds cool as well.