View Poll Results: Should Kylo Ren and Rey be a couple.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 11.86%
  • No

52 88.14%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Rian Johnson seemed like he was setting up as Kylo as the main villain. (Which if you read JJ Abrams script was fair--he committed an arguably irredeemable act by killing a main character)

for it to have been revealed that she was the daughter of Ben's nanny/governness/aid of Leia's. Who Leia recognized had force potential and was sent away to protect her.
    Wouldn't she have been safer with Leia and the Resistance? Oh well, I'm sure if Trevorrow had taken it over it would have been something similar--each director/writer has their own vision for the series without any care about writing a cohesive trilogy or story or consistent character arcs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Um, it had all the feel of grossness when Kylo kissed Rey. Kylo had major issues, I think deep down he saw Rey as more a splicing of a mother, and sister. The kiss was nothing more than a feeble attempt to placate people that still think white people being intimately affectionate is the norm. This notion is trash anyway Canada, Asia, or the United States and elsewhere.
    Huh?.........

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone ever cared about that "couple" considering that those actors have about as much chemistry together as a shovel and an oyster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Apparently J.J. Abrams is clarifying that Rey and Kylo weren't supposed to have a romantic relationship. I don't think his decisions in the blocking of the last scene make that very clear at all, but there it is.
    If this is the case. Then they should have had Rey kiss him on the forehead, cheek or give him a hug and say thank you.

I only watched TFA once and didn't pick up any romantic vibes or attraction. But on re-watch you can see that they have a grudging admiration for each other. They do bicker like a couple a though. More like a teenagers who like each other but still don't get along.
    When I think about them in ROS and TLJ it makes me think of the relationship between Belle and Beast in the 2017 live action film of B&B as well as Dunk and Rohanne in Martin’s novella The Hedge Knight. It’s a man and a woman whose attraction stems or just starts off as a grudging respect and then blossoms into something else. Much of the attraction is implied through body language than straight up words. Which I found conveyed far more than any spoken words.
    You can see how Kylo would genuinely admire Rey, Her willingness to run into danger, loyalty to her friends and how she's managed to survive and raise all these years as even after being thrown out into the cruel world as a child. And as a previous poster pointed out Rey probably thinks that there is something 'more' to him there given that he pulled his punches when fighting her. That there is more than meets the eye. He is not a complete butcher. One of the more moving scenes for me was when she died and he cradled her in his arms holding her close. It was almost disturbing to see how visibly upset he was.

I like romance as much as the next woman, but it has to make sense and be couched in reality. I like what happened at the end because it lends to complexity of the human emotions.
    And as much as I have a problem with Ren just killing his father the way he did (out of resentment and Snoke told him to it). I far more prefer her pairing with Ren than if they tried to pair her with Finn or Poe which would be too predictable. It also would have detracted from the fact that much of episode 7-9 is the story of Rey and her transformation. From abandoned orphan girl who tries to look for her self worth in others. To a powerful young woman who is comfortable with who she is and serves others. Her love hate relationship with Ren really helped her character arc and influenced her choices

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Well, Trevorrow has said that he wanted to set up a potential romance between Rey and Poe. It is why he asked Johnson to set up their meeting in TLJ and why they bicker in this (which is probably a hold over from Trevorrow's draft). Apparently, if Trevorrow had done it, he said he wanted Kylo to be the main villain and for it to have been revealed that she was the daughter of Ben's nanny/governness/aid of Leia's. Who Leia recognized had force potential and was sent away to protect her.
    Would have been an interesting premise. But Ren had to be redeemed and go down as a hero. Just from what I saw on screen. Ren is a stronger leading man and has more of a presence than Poe who seems to need to be reigned in.. And to be frank both Drivers and Ridley's strong/forceful/charismatic personalities play off each other better.

John Boyega (thank goodness) got a much stronger role in TLJ than what he had in TFA. Which was little more than diversity box checking. But given the way he started out. His role is better suited as Rey’s friend/brother/conscience. And Poe’s doesn’t exactly come across as a stable life partner. He just has too much growing up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised that anyone ever cared about that "couple" considering that those actors have about as much chemistry together as a shovel and an oyster.
    Why do people announce their personal opinions as if they're facts, when they're simply not true?

Kylo Ren and Rey had palpable chemistry which is why after TLJ "Reylo" became a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why do people announce their personal opinions as if they're facts, when they're simply not true?

Kylo Ren and Rey had palpable chemistry which is why after TLJ "Reylo" became a thing.
    Funny thing is that JJ said they were more brother and sister than anything. Question is why people are so fast to put her with Kylo and not Finn.

Funny thing is that JJ said they were more brother and sister than anything. Question is why people are so fast to put her with Kylo and not Finn.
    (Many) Women love a bad boy and the thought of reforming him through their love, I think it is that simple. I'm not saying there aren't fans of Reylo who are male or kids rather I suspect the majority are (young) women.

You are correct in that there are few explicit hints of such in the movies.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-25-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    If this is the case. Then they should have had Rey kiss him on the forehead, cheek or give him a hug and say thank you.
    I agree with that. I'm just reporting what the Word of God is on the subject.

Funny thing is that JJ said they were more brother and sister than anything.
    Yep, posted a link to that myself, although, as noted above, having them kiss was really odd if we weren't supposed to see them as romantic.

Question is why people are so fast to put her with Kylo and not Finn.
    I never got that myself. Personally, I was rooting for Finn the whole time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Rian Johnson seemed like he was setting up as Kylo as the main villain. (Which if you read JJ Abrams script was fair--he committed an arguably irredeemable act by killing a main character)

Wouldn't she have been safer with Leia and the Resistance? Oh well, I'm sure if Trevorrow had taken it over it would have been something similar--each director/writer has their own vision for the series without any care about writing a cohesive trilogy or story or consistent character arcs.
    Given the Skywalker track record of babysitting I'd say no.

BANNED

Kylo shoulda hit it imo

I always saw them having more of a soul bond. They’re two sides of the same coin. The force always tries to balance itself out (which is apparently why Anakin was created). So it’s different than physical attraction or a sexual relationship. I guess a hug or kiss on the forehead would have been better. It wouldn’t have caused so much of an angry fan debate and would have left things open to interpretation. Plus it wouldn’t have made Fin’s pining for Rey as sad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I always saw them having more of a soul bond. They’re two sides of the same coin. The force always tries to balance itself out (which is apparently why Anakin was created). So it’s different than physical attraction or a sexual relationship. I guess a hug or kiss on the forehead would have been better. It wouldn’t have caused so much of an angry fan debate and would have left things open to interpretation. Plus it wouldn’t have made Fin’s pining for Rey as sad.
    I think Fin pined for Rey for about 5 minutes. Got the gist that she wasn't interested and moved on.

There were too many hints throughout the films,for it to be just a platonic interest. Whether it be he numerous ways Kylo has tried to protect her. Or the fact that she admitted that she wanted to be with him if he changed.

There are very, very strong parallels between Kylo and Rey and Beauty and the Beast- especially the live action version. Some fans have also pointed out Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice. A strong love/hate interest coupled with a strong mutual respect, that neither character is going to voice out loud due to circumstances and pride. I am very glad that they never spoke about their feelings for each other. And much of it just came through it body language and action. I never saw the connection between them in TFA, Although in the novelization it does hint that Ren is attracted to Rey and that's why he let his guard down with her in the fight. I heard about the fan shipping, but was shocked that the makers decided to go there. But I think it works in the film to an extent given how it unfolds.
    Last edited by Mia; 12-31-2019 at 03:39 PM.

More solid proof that Reylo is just awful and Rey and Fin would have been better.

There is some sound reason to it that the reylo thing was trying to appeal to the twilight crowd . they both have the abusive relationship story arc. The same kind of very out spoken fanbase that can topple mtv awards and force a High profile director as JJ Abrams to put fan service at the expense of reasonable story telling.

Its a shame that the girl always have to end up with the awful boy as I preferred Jacob and Bella over Edward and Bella as I prefer Rey and Finn to Rey and Kylo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    More solid proof that Reylo is just awful and Rey and Fin would have been better.

There is some sound reason to it that the reylo thing was trying to appeal to the twilight crowd . they both have the abusive relationship story arc. The same kind of very out spoken fanbase that can topple mtv awards and force a High profile director as JJ Abrams to put fan service at the expense of reasonable story telling.

Its a shame that the girl always have to end up with the awful boy as I preferred Jacob and Bella over Edward and Bella as I prefer Rey and Finn to Rey and Kylo
    It's hard to take advice from someone who runs a Youtube channel that specializes on bashing the current Disney management team. Or an actor who is that unprofessional to make those kinds of tweets. I honestly can't wait to see Boyega's career after this. And really, given Boyegas's attitude and behaviour I can imagine what he's like on set. It's why he was relegated to and belongs in side kick role. I think I'll skip whatever he appears in for now on in theaters.

The reason most women like 'bad boys' is because more often than not the 'bad boy' is the one is daring and bold. You know the one who isn't afraid of life or lives for the approval of others. The nice guy doesn't have that, he's too afraid of failure, taking chances or like Poe he makes decisions based on his ego.. I mean look at Ren, he became leader of the FO. What did Poe and Finn achieve?

And if anyone has watched any of the 3 films, while it's clear that Rey felt an attraction to him. She didn't stop what she was doing and go off and join Kylo and the first order. She's rejected him over and over, and slapped him down in other instances. Yes they kissed at the end, but by then he had turned away from what he had been doing and saved her life. In fact he had spent a great deal of time trying to protect her. And she was grateful for that. But I am not sure even if he had survived if they would have lived happy ever after. Both of them know Ben has too much blood on his hands to excuse it.
    Last edited by Mia; 12-31-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

I agree, I also saw the chemistry. I wasn't expecting them to end up like they did in Rise of Skywalker, but I was so happy when they kissed.

I didn't really like TLJ, but I liked Kylo and Rey scenes together. That was the only part I liked, and the action and visuals. But I really enjoyed Rise of Skywalker overall. It felt like my Star Wars. I want to see it again to see how I feel.