Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disney's Black Hole is 40!

40 years later people are still confused over the ending! Happy 40th black hole!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-wars-1262526

Black hole came out a few weeks after star trek the movie hurting it at the box office!

At the time Disney other then their rereleases of their classic films was not doing good. No one over the age of 10 would dare watch a Disney film and they were still making live action films in the 40s slapstick. Disney started making more adult films to get updated. They even did a PG animated film black cauldron that got it's butt kicked by the care bears movie! It got so bad Disney hid the Disney name on tex, tron, black hole and trenchcoat! This would change later and the "neon mickey" 80s vhs tapes did well at video stores but it would take roger rabbit and little mermaid to turn Disney around!

Black hole did get a comic book sequel after the films release so there is a follow up in comic form!

Original film comic!

[IMG][/IMG]

Newspaper comic strip done by jack kirby!

[IMG][/IMG]

Follow up comic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Toy ad.

Ending that scared a lot of kids!

Too bad Robert Forster just passed away... (RIP)

I never saw this, but from that clip, it appears that it was like "what if Star Wars and 2001 had a baby?"

The only reason I remember this movie is the robot designs - the little guy is obviously influenced by R2-D2, but is still a cool design (except the big cartoon eyes) and Maxmillian is like some floaty, killer swiss army knife.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I remember liking the movie when it came out (I was 13), but I haven't seen it since. I'm afraid it would be one of those 70's sci-fi things that wouldn't hold up very well today, like the original BSG or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I remember liking the movie when it came out (I was 13), but I haven't seen it since. I'm afraid it would be one of those 70's sci-fi things that wouldn't hold up very well today, like the original BSG or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
    I rewatched it for the first time in decades on Disney +.

1. VINCENT and BOB paved the way for Scrappy Doo, Jar Jar Binks, and every overtly kiddie character added to appeal to children and sell toys. They are annoying and bring the movie down every time they are on screen. And they're onscreen a lot.
    2. The action scenes are some of the worst directed set pieces I've ever seen in a major studio release. It makes the action in Star Wars look like John Wick.
    3. The end scenes where the characters are exposed to vacuum still make my brain hurt.
    4. Anthony Perkins is the best part of the movie. His acting is top notch, and his character is thoughtful and complex.
    5. The tone of the movie is all over the map. The VINCENT scenes are slapstick and childish. The interactions with Reinhardt are more serious but still family adventure. The death of Durant feels like it's a scene from an R rated horror movie. And the ending is like some film student decided to play a special effect budget with no script.

I would never say it's a good movie, but I did enjoy the rewatch. And I can't stress how good Perkins is in the movie.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've never heard of those comics and I need them in my life!

This movie needs to be remade in the present.

Mighty Member

Rhinehart should've had a cameo in The Devil and Max Devlin...

It was an interesting, but ultimately failure of a movie. Good designs by the Robert McCall and Peter Ellenshaw. A game cast, but they had no real story and a perfectly dreadful ending. They opted for biblical voodoo instead of science and it came off as writers who had no where to go. And Disneyfying the robot was a big mistake.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I utterly loved this movie as a kid (I was probably about 10 when I saw it). I don't think I've seen it though since I was about 12.

I'm terrified to watch it again, even though I'm tempted since its on Disney+, because I'm afraid it will suck to my adult brain. I've ruined several other movies that I cherished as a child by watching them as an adult and cringing at how bad they are (Superman I'm looking at you).

Ultimate Member

Are we allowed to consider Event Horizon as the remake?

Incredible Member

Watched it last night.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I'm terrified to watch it again, even though I'm tempted since its on Disney+, because I'm afraid it will suck to my adult brain. I've ruined several other movies that I cherished as a child by watching them as an adult and cringing at how bad they are (Superman I'm looking at you).
    What, the Christopher Reeve Superman?? I like that better now than when I was a kid.

Black Hole is dope!

I've rewatched it. I still like it. It is what it is, but I like it. It was surprisingly dark for a kids movie.