Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Christmas Movie/Special

What is you favorite Christmas movie or Special? The one that you have to watch every year.

I have three

My all time favorite is White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I remember singing the song Sister Sister with my own Sister. She always made me be Vera- Ellen.

Another one I love is Year without a Santa Claus. Those ole Rankin Bass Special will always hold a high place for me.

The third is a movie called The Christmas Gift starting John Denver.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I'll add three for myself

Charlie Brown Christmas
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    House Without A Christmas Tree

I'll second White Christmas.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Favorite movies:

1. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
    2. Scrooge (1970)
    3. Elf (2003)

Specials:

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
    2. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Retired

I've started my Christmas movie watching--looking for some new movies to add to the standards. I'm open to suggestions.

I tried out BABES IN TOYLAND, starring Laurel and Hardy, from 1940 (aka MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS in the United States)--before this I've only seen the Annette Funicello version from 1961--this one was pretty weird and kind of experimental in its craft, but I don't think I need to watch it again next year.

Viewed KRAMPUS (2015) which has its moments--in Europe, Krampus accompanies St. Nicholas on December 5th, the eve of Nikolaustag, not Christmas Eve as they have it in the movie. Ultimately, I don't think the movie works. There was a Krampus episode on a horror anthology series (from the 1980s???) that I watched a few years back--I remember that being pretty good, but I don't recall the name of the series sadly.

I watched THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) again, which I'd seen last year. This is now a definite seasonal favourite--I think it's a perfect movie. Also tried out BEYOND TOMORROW (1940) which is an okay movie.

The definite movies I have to see annually are A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) but I save those for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. And other favourites I need to watch are LOVE ACTUALLY (2003), WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (1995), ELF (2003), CHRISTMAS VACATION (1989) and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944).

The Christmas specials I always watch are 1965's A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS and 1966's HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS (never watch the movie versions of Grinch). Sometimes I also watch 1964's RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER.

One movie I've been trying many years to find is DESTINS (1946) starring Tino Rossi. This is the French movie that debuted the holiday classic "Petit Papa Noël" sung by Rossi. But I've never seen the movie. It seems the only way to get it is to special order it from Europe, but then the DVD won't play in North America unless you change the settings on the player.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Three versions of A Christmas Carol:

1951 starring Alastair Sim (watch on the 22nd)
    1984 starring George C. Scott (watch on the 23rd)
    1999 starring Patrick Stewart (watch on the 24th)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Die Hard
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

I like just about any version of A Christmas Carol (especially Magoo's), except the Kelsey Grammer one. And Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is pretty good, I say!

How has no one mentioned Polar Express?

But the absolute best Xmas movie, the Finnish film Rare Exports!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

die hard , home alone and gremlins.

as far as specials goes, loved 'a muppets christmas special' , the only time the muppets crossover with the sesame street gang

That was muppet family Christmas. Muppet show, muppet babies, seseme street and fraggle rock (complete with doc and sprocket) all showed up!

Don't forget Garfield!

The Martin episode "I Saw Gina Kissing Santa Claus".

That said, the Supernatural episode "A Very Supernatural Christmas" is also pretty solid.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I can watch Christmas Vacation over and over again. Scrooged is probably a very close second.

Don't forget ernest saves Christmas!