Extraordinary Member

Default Official Fights?

So in The Arbiter's Rumbles Nostalgia thread, the idea of bringing back the old Official fights concept was brought up. The Conversation in that thread has since moved on, so instead of attempting to drag it back up, I thought creating a separate topic to discuss the idea would be more appropriate.

For those unaware, an Official Fight was essentially a fight where, after a certain amount of time had passd or a consensus had been reached, a write up of the fight would be posted to show the agreed upon winner. Sometimes with commentary by other characters.

I figure it's an interesting idea, and I think it would be worth bringing back.

What say Y'all?

I think voting is a bit poisonous to a debate forum. Discussion is ignored and popularity contests take over. Batman, Hulk and Storm would win everything. :P

This is also likely why "like" buttons dont exist here. It's like voting.

That said, if this was a bit more relaxed and light hearted in nature then GO FOR IT! I volunteer as tribute to do the write ups. =)
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I think voting is a bit poisonous to a debate forum. Discussion is ignored and popularity contests take over. Batman, Hulk and Storm would win everything. :P

This is also likely why "like" buttons dont exist here. It's like voting.

That said, if this was a bit more relaxed and light hearted in nature then GO FOR IT! I volunteer as tribute to do the write ups. =)
    I would agree that the voting is an element that shouldn't come back.

Yes. THe Old thing worked because aside votes you could post and comment on how it should go.

But yes votes just will make things toxic, keep it how it is now. Debate and bring up facts. Facts make the wins, not popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I would agree that the voting is an element that shouldn't come back.
    Well, then I'm all for it. We could re visit our classic fights or hilarious fights from over the years. Write ups could be fun! =)
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Well, then I'm all for it. We could re visit our classic fights or hilarious fights from over the years. Write ups could be fun! =)
    Would you want to go to a pre-existing fight to do a right up, or create a new thread with a new fight for this first battle?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Unfortunately, not a large fraction of our flights end in more than a quick draw or speed blitz, which doesn't make for interesting write ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Unfortunately, not a large fraction of our flights end in more than a quick draw or speed blitz, which doesn't make for interesting write ups.
    Eh, that's easy enough to work around. Real comic books do it all the time :P
    - big_adventure

Would you want to go to a pre-existing fight to do a right up, or create a new thread with a new fight for this first battle?
    Pre existing for starters.
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Pre existing for starters.
    Okay then. If you're going to be the first one, then I'll let you pick out a thread to do a write up for

Okay then. If you're going to be the first one, then I'll let you pick out a thread to do a write up for
    Let's make sure we are on the same page first.

1: I'm not sure actually if we put all of the "official fights" under one thread or make each fight a seperate thread. Kinda feeling having it all in one spot personally but open to suggestions.

2: The old CBUB battles had a lot more humor involved. I dont think I am unfunny but I would hardly be able to live up to that style of fight commentary. I would probably write something more similar to nutshell fanfiction. I'm not really a reader of fanfiction but I think I get the idea ok. My write ups would be short-ish and more serious in nature. Any objections?

Edit: some stuff might totally devolve into humor. Kinda depends on the matchup lol

3: Rules? Do we... have any?? How long do we let Posters comment on their ideas on the pros / cons of each fight element before we close discussion and post the fight summary? 24 hours?

4. I am excited but confused. :P
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 12-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Let's make sure we are on the same page first.

1: I'm not sure actually if we put all of the "official fights" under one thread or make each fight a seperate thread. Kinda feeling having it all in one spot personally but open to suggestions.

2: The old CBUB battles had a lot more humor involved. I dont think I am unfunny but I would hardly be able to live up to that style of fight commentary. I would probably write something more similar to nutshell fanfiction. I'm not really a reader of fanfiction but I think I get the idea ok. My write ups would be short-ish and more serious in nature. Any objections?

Edit: some stuff might totally devolve into humor. Kinda depends on the matchup lol

3: Rules? Do we... have any?? How long do we let Posters comment on their ideas on the pros / cons of each fight element before we close discussion and post the fight summary? 24 hours?

4. I am excited but confused. :P
    1. Assuming no on in charge tells us no, we'll have a thread where all write ups will be posted, with links to the original thread. We won't bump any currently existing threads to post the Write ups, but in threads we make a thread with the explicit intention of doing a write up, then the write up will be posted there as well.

2. Whatever tone you choose to write will be fine.

3. I was assuming something like a week of time to discuss for Threads we make for it, but for old threads, I think it's more important that the discussion seem settled than the specific amount of time.

I'll admit that I don't have all the details here fully decided, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

1. Assuming no on in charge tells us no, we'll have a thread where all write ups will be posted, with links to the original thread. We won't bump any currently existing threads to post the Write ups, but in threads we make a thread with the explicit intention of doing a write up, then the write up will be posted there as well.

2. Whatever tone you choose to write will be fine.

3. I was assuming something like a week of time to discuss for Threads we make for it, but for old threads, I think it's more important that the discussion seem settled than the specific amount of time.

I'll admit that I don't have all the details here fully decided, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.
    All sounds good to me
    - big_adventure

Should this become a thing, and if I can be bothered ... I'll probably turn up from time to time to offer commentary as Cthulhu Attenbourough. Pretty much a perfect setting for him, a battle between the Comic Book Rumbles Biome's most dangerous predators.

... simply delightful.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan