Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't know how Link could possibly deal with a chasm opening beneath him, but someone else could feel free to argue otherwise. But a quickdraw from base Aang, even if Aang is faster, probably wouldn't take him out considering Daruk's protection and Mipha's grace. Link's defensive options by the end of botw are ridiculous, anyone trying to fight him needs to be able to kill him twice basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Okay, so you've quasi answered maybe one of my points.

I know stasis can be used on enemies, my point was more based around the range limitations. As I recall, I don't think you can use it on things that are 100 feet away.

Even if we allow for the relative slowdown as a basis for enhanced reflexes, I'm not seeing how he's winning this. If Aang is full Avatar State, he literally just has to think and Link is falling into a canyon that opens up beneath his feet. Conversely, Link has to either pull out his sheikh slate or raise his bow, notch an arrow and fire to take an offensive action.

That's not a quickdraw that Link wants to get into for my money.

Even sans Avatar State, Aang could just as easily flip up a massive rock shield with his opening move and throw that at Link.

Aang has too many good options for my liking here. Link is more modular is his abilities and his range game is nowhere near as strong or as versatile as his opponents.
    Stasis is probably about 100 feet max range. I haven't done any calculations here - just going off of memory. That feels about right for its max.

Avatar state might be a touch too powerful to overcome. Insta chasm is a decent move against Link.

Without it? I don't see Aang winning. A massive rock shield is sorta his worse possible opening move. Huge piles of stone, swaths of trees and castle walls are all things that a single bomb arrow can pulverize. Links end of game equipment can loose 5 bomb arrows in a wide angle spread per shot. Like combustion man on steroids but much faster. Using Link's slow down fighting mechanics, he can load and fire his bow up to 5 times in about 1 second - I did the math once upon a time. That's 25 stone smashing bombs flying down range in a spread.

Ancient arrows are MUCH more powerful. A Silver Lynel can sit in said storm of bomb arrow barrages and getting totally enveloped in the explosions and not only survive but then proceed to kick your butt if you aren't careful. A single Ancient Arrow completely vaporizes these guys.

Even if a giant wall of rock DID hit Link, Daruk's Protection creates a 360 degree force field that totally negates the incoming kinetic energy/damage. Link can use this 3 times and it doesn't force him to stop doing other things. A little focusing and the shield shows up leaving him capable of still moving, shooting and fighting independent of it.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Stasis is probably about 100 feet max range. I haven't done any calculations here - just going off of memory. That feels about right for its max.

Avatar state might be a touch too powerful to overcome. Insta chasm is a decent move against Link.

Without it? I don't see Aang winning. A massive rock shield is sorta his worse possible opening move. Huge piles of stone, swaths of trees and castle walls are all things that a single bomb arrow can pulverize. Links end of game equipment can loose 5 bomb arrows in a wide angle spread per shot. Like combustion man on steroids but much faster. Using Link's slow down fighting mechanics, he can load and fire his bow up to 5 times in about 1 second - I did the math once upon a time. That's 25 stone smashing bombs flying down range in a spread.

Ancient arrows are MUCH more powerful. A Silver Lynel can sit in said storm of bomb arrow barrages and getting totally enveloped in the explosions and not only survive but then proceed to kick your butt if you aren't careful. A single Ancient Arrow completely vaporizes these guys.

Even if a giant wall of rock DID hit Link, Daruk's Protection creates a 360 degree force field that totally negates the incoming kinetic energy/damage. Link can use this 3 times and it doesn't force him to stop doing other things. A little focusing and the shield shows up leaving him capable of still moving, shooting and fighting independent of it.
    Okay, this is some more high level stuff.

Speed is a something of a concern - do we know if Link's arrows fly supernaturally fast?

Hmm... what if Aang just makes a gigantic wind, a la the one he solidified an exploding volcano with, as his opening move? Wouldn't detonate the arrows but it would rebuff any projectiles coming his way. Additionally, he can still do the chasm trick, just not as easily as in Avatar State. Link might have shields but if Aang just buries him under the ground then he'd have to blast his way back up which leaves him open to just getting smacked down.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 12-18-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Okay, this is some more high level stuff.

Speed is a something of a concern - do we know if Link's arrows fly supernaturally fast?

Hmm... what if Aang just makes a gigantic wind, a la the one he solidified an exploding volcano with, as his opening move? Wouldn't detonate the arrows but it would rebuff any projectiles coming his way. Additionally, he can still do the chasm trick, just not as easily as in Avatar State. Link might have shields but if Aang just buries him under the ground then he'd have to blast his way back up which leaves him open to just getting smacked down.
    Arrows only fly at superspeed when Link's in "slowed time."

The wind shield could work, but he's also leaving himself open to get stasis'd. And if he isn't opening the chasm at the speed of thought, then Link could escape with Revali's gale, which sends him really high up.

Thanks for your input by the way, this has been a pretty fun thread

Spectacular Member

I'm inclined to think that Link's arrows getting super speed while in focus as a glitch or otherwise pure gameplay.

Quick thing about Stasis; it can only be used once before going into a lengthy recharge period, and it can only be used on one object at a time. Even with Link's quick reflexes, it's far from a given that he'll be able to get a clear shot at Aang, given how easily he can break line of sight. Pull up a sand wall, then through out a sandstorm.

Also, it doesn't work on wildlife or people, even after being upgraded. It might work on Aang, but I don't know whether being limited to the forces of evil should be considered a gameplay consideration or not.

I think that Aang is being underestimated. He can literally throw enough sand at Link to bury him, and that'll immobilize him pretty well on it's own, without having to worry about Link's defenses, and just blow away his arrows. Daruk's Protection will deflect three attacks, but that isn't a lot. Mipha's Grace will get him back up after severe injuries, but Aang doesn't have to wear down Link's hp, just pin him. Revali's Gale? Pretty bad idea in this situation. Urbosa's Fury might actually be the most useful here, both because Link doesn't have to see Aang and Aang hasn't come across a lightning attack that is pulled out of the sky.
    Last edited by Fallman; 12-18-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Your SWORD doesn't work on npc people either.

Saying stasis won't work on an enemy in the Arena because you can't use it on a chicken in town is using game mechanics the /wrong/ way. He can use it on organic enemies just fine.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Spectacular Member

If it was just townspeople, that'd be one thing, but it doesn't work on animals. I'm inclined to think of it not working on animals and people as a game mechanic, but it still stands out because Link's weapons work on animals just fine.

It's just weird enough that it seems like it was done on purpose, but hell if I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    If it was just townspeople, that'd be one thing, but it doesn't work on animals. I'm inclined to think of it not working on animals and people as a game mechanic, but it still stands out because Link's weapons work on animals just fine.

It's just weird enough that it seems like it was done on purpose, but hell if I know why.
    "family friendly"

But Arbiter's pretty much covered the points I was meaning to make, with Valentonis bringing up some things I'd otherwise forgotten.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Stasis works on the Yiga clan and they're human. And considering how superhumanly fast Link moves during the flurry strikes I'm inclined to think that the speed of his arrowtime wasn't an accident.

The sand thing sounds interesting though, what feats does Aang have for using sand like that?
    Last edited by Valentonis; 12-19-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    Stasis works on the Yiga clan and they're human. And considering how superhumanly fast Link moves during the flurry strikes I'm inclined to think that the speed of his arrowtime wasn't an accident.

The sand thing sounds interesting though, what feats does Aang have for using sand like that?
    Stasis also works on attacking wolves iirc.
    - big_adventure