Page 247 of 280 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,705 of 4192

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    It's just a fun little poll nothing serious, I mean only 900 people voted and there are less than 30 comments that's basically nothing lol.
    Maybe if he didn't block everybody who follows a certain YouTuber he might get a better response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Maybe if he didn't block everybody who follows a certain YouTuber he might get a better response.
    I didn't think about that, the guy is probably just left with people that agree with him politically.
    Also looking at the comments quite a few of the people that didn't want Wolvie back are the X-23 fans which is a bit disheartening.

I honestly think they need to start by getting rid of every Wolverine except for the original Logan, Laura, and Gabby. They also need to strip every character of healing factors not named Logan, Creed, Wade, and Laura because everyone having one is watering down Logan’s appeal too.

Lol. I knew that was going to happen in Hunt for Wolverine. I knew it! The part with spoilers:
    him just appearing in ONE page.
    end of spoilers

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

With a story called hunt for im not suprised either. It isnt a woöverine story. Just like all 4 upcoming minls
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Lol. I knew that was going to happen in Hunt for Wolverine. I knew it! The part with spoilers:
    him just appearing in ONE page.
    end of spoilers
    I'm not surprised either. It was a very good comic though.

So, i recently read Weapon X (the trade that collect the stories from the Marvel Present issues) by Barry Winsor-Smith and Old Man Logan by Mark Millar, i was pleased by the former and kind of dissapointed by the later.

Weapon X is a truly tragic tale about a man being having his humanity stripped away from to turning into a weapon, the tragedy of Wolverine is perfectly represented and show us the main conflict of the characther (his inner strugle beetween his human and animal side) and his memory problems, it was better than i was expecting.

Old Man Logan for another side, it has some good ideas like Wolverine giving up violence to live a life as a pacifist after killing his surrogate family and having a conflict with Hulk.is pretty good, but i feel that in practice sort of lacked substance, like Millar was far more worried with presenting his apocalyptic future and that Logan was just there as vehicle for the ride, specially because it doesn't use many elements that are conected with Wolverine's mythology, hell a subplot in the second issue about Spider-Man's grandaughter, deviate the plot for a while and then is quickly forgotten like nothing (also Hulks hilbilies ugh..). So, not a bad story, i enjoy it as a sort of brainless fun with some cool artwork, but pretty inferior to other material from the characther.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    So, i recently read Weapon X (the trade that collect the stories from the Marvel Present issues) by Barry Winsor-Smith and Old Man Logan by Mark Millar, i was pleased by the former and kind of dissapointed by the later.

Weapon X is a truly tragic tale about a man being having his humanity stripped away from to turning into a weapon, the tragedy of Wolverine is perfectly represented and show us the main conflict of the characther (his inner strugle beetween his human and animal side) and his memory problems, it was better than i was expecting.

Old Man Logan for another side, it has some good ideas like Wolverine giving up violence to live a life as a pacifist after killing his surrogate family and having a conflict with Hulk.is pretty good, but i feel that in practice sort of lacked substance, like Millar was far more worried with presenting his apocalyptic future and that Logan was just there as vehicle for the ride, specially because it doesn't use many elements that are conected with Wolverine's mythology, hell a subplot in the second issue about Spider-Man's grandaughter, deviate the plot for a while and then is quickly forgotten like nothing (also Hulks hilbilies ugh..). So, not a bad story, i enjoy it as a sort of brainless fun with some cool artwork, but pretty inferior to other material from the characther.

Totally agree about Weapon X, it's the best Wolverine story in my opinion and the only origin Wolverine ever needed

Totally agree about Weapon X, it's the best Wolverine story in my opinion and the only origin Wolverine ever needed
    I like Origins by Jenkins too (even when i think that he is not as good as some of his fans said), it was a pretty good tale, althougth i'm not a fan of the idea that his healing factor is the cause of his memory lost.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I honestly think they need to start by getting rid of every Wolverine except for the original Logan, Laura, and Gabby. They also need to strip every character of healing factors not named Logan, Creed, Wade, and Laura because everyone having one is watering down Logan’s appeal too.
    I don't think healing factors are a problem, the problem is when characters have the exact same powers as Wolverine.
    Scalphunter has a very powerful healing factor (Magneto amputated his legs and arms, and cauterized the wounds, because otherwise his legs and arms would have grown back, then he abandoned him in a hospital as a crippled man who can't move from his bed). That isn't a problem because the main offensive superpower of Scalphunter is reshaping small pieces of metal with his hands to create guns and weapons.

Purple Man also has a very powerful healing factor and has survived being cut in half by a train. That isn't a problem because his main power is mind control with pherormones.
    I am pretty sure all the people tampered by Apocalypse like Sinister, Exodus or Archangel have pretty insane healing factors too, and immortality.

The problem is when they are feral, with enhanced senses, claws, and metal in the skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I don't think healing factors are a problem, the problem is when characters have the exact same powers as Wolverine.
    Scalphunter has a very powerful healing factor (Magneto amputated his legs and arms, and cauterized the wounds, because otherwise his legs and arms would have grown back, then he abandoned him in a hospital as a crippled man who can't move from his bed). That isn't a problem because the main offensive superpower of Scalphunter is reshaping small pieces of metal with his hands to create guns and weapons.

Purple Man also has a very powerful healing factor and has survived being cut in half by a train. That isn't a problem because his main power is mind control with pherormones.
    I am pretty sure all the people tampered by Apocalypse like Sinister, Exodus or Archangel have pretty insane healing factors too, and immortality.

The problem is when they are feral, with enhanced senses, claws, and metal in the skeleton
    I more so mean X-men with healing factors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I like Origins by Jenkins too (even when i think that he is not as good as some of his fans said), it was a pretty good tale, althougth i'm not a fan of the idea that his healing factor is the cause of his memory lost.
    Don't get me wrong I don't think it's a bad story just a bad Wolverine's origins story and it completely ruined the appeal of the character for me. When I read it the first time, it was like the writers established a checklist and tried to work their way around it, you got the redhead fetish, the missing memory, the name Wolverine, the figure of authority (Smitty) who Rose fall in love with and who is just here to create a parralell with the Cyclops (figure of authority)/Jean (redhead)/Logan love triangle. Then you also got the mention of samurai and of course you have the Sabretooth look-alike with Dog and why he called everyone bub. On top of that you add some convoluted plots and you got Wolverine Origin.

By doing what they did with this story Marvel just demystified the character, they reduced him to another hero who became who he is after a traumatic event in his childhood. If only one competent writer worked on this story it could have been better, unfortunately the script was written by Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada who are not good writers at all and Jenkins had to adapt the story in comicbook form so the whole thing doesn't feel organic.
    For me Wolverine is a lot like the Joker when it comes to their mysterious past, doing and origin story about those characters is like opening a pandora box meaning it's tempting in the short term but if you open that box a lot of bad things will come out of it and in the long term the appeal of these characters will be lost and that's exactly what happened with Logan after this story in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hush; 04-30-2018 at 03:40 PM.

BANNED

So, most people here think the character is ruined??

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    So, most people here think the character is ruined??

I might have been a little harsh when I said "ruined", but I don't think a character can be completely broken. Marvel just really needs to push the retcon button in regards to his backstory and have him go back to his roots in my opinion. It was interesting at first watching him grow as a character after House of M but unfortunately Daniel Way, Jeph Loeb and lately Paul Cornell really messed up and made the character unlikable. Then you got the full army of Wolverine knockoffs running around and the fact that he was put in too many series, because of all of that his popularity took a hit and Marvel killed him for a while.

Old Man Logan has been one of the biggest success for Marvel and one of the longest running Marvel serie in recent years, why? Because it's the closest thing to the original characterization of Logan before all that nonsense we got after House of M.
    I think I said it in another thread, but Hunt for Wolverine is the perfect opportunity for Marvel to fix all of that and establish a new statu quo for Logan before his return. Hunt already gave Logan his mysterious aura back, something that was part of the character DNA and which should have never been removed so it's promising.

Marvel just need to clean the house, apart from Old Man Logan, Laura (maybe Gabby but it's too early to tell) none of these knockoffs are popular despite the constant push they got in recent years.

BANNED

I might have been a little harsh when I said "ruined", but I don't think a character can be completely broken. Marvel just really needs to push the retcon button in regards to his backstory and have him go back to his roots in my opinion. It was interesting at first watching him grow as a character after House of M but unfortunately Daniel Way, Jeph Loeb and lately Paul Cornell really messed up and made the character unlikable. Then you got the full army of Wolverine knockoffs running around and the fact that he was put in too many series, because of all of that his popularity took a hit and Marvel killed him for a while.

Old Man Logan has been one of the biggest success for Marvel and one of the longest running Marvel serie in recent years, why? Because it's the closest thing to the original characterization of Logan before all that nonsense we got after House of M.
    I think I said it in another thread, but Hunt for Wolverine is the perfect opportunity for Marvel to fix all of that and establish a new statu quo for Logan before his return. Hunt already gave Logan his mysterious aura back, something that was part of the character DNA and which should have never been removed so it's promising.

Marvel just need to clean the house, apart from Old Man Logan, Laura (maybe Gabby but it's too early to tell) none of these knockoffs are popular despite the constant push they got in recent years.
    I see! I always liked the classic X-men, with Wolverine being my favorite. However, I never bought his solo book (and it's been a long time since I collected and X-Men book). I hope his return serves as a jumping point for me, And i'm already collecting Hunt for Wolverine.