Page 264 of 280 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 4192
    BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #229 May 1988
    "Down Under!" First appearance of the Reavers!
    Singapore: It's a typical day of business at the Hoan International Bank as Jessan Hoan shows Mrs. Pei and her two children around the bank.
    This tranquility is ruined when the bank is suddenly sieged by the Reavers, a group of cyborg mercenaries who teleport in with guns blazing.
    When the Reaver known as Skullbuster grabs the owner and demands that he provide the combination -- he cannot talk because the cyborg is choking him too hard.
    Jessan pipes up and tells the mercenary that there is no combination, that the vault automatically locks for 24 hours during an emergency and to leave her uncle alone.
    Skullbuster instead breaks the man's neck instead and has his colleague Bonebreaker use a laser cannon to blast through the vault.
    As the Reavers begin looting the facility, Pretty Boy decides to take Jessan as their hostage and they all teleport away.

They come out of the other side of the teleportal in Australia, where they once more threaten the Aboriginal mutant teleporter Gateway
    that they will desecrate the land if he refuses to continue helping them pull their heists. The group then begins to party hard, like they usually do.
    Pretty Boy takes Jessan down to the room where the Reavers keep all their stolen loot and tells her that
    he is going to make her one of them so that they can use her financial skills to properly manage their soils.
    When Hoan tries to run, Pretty Boy grabs her and then ejects his eye filaments and begins reprogramming her brain to be like them, ruthless with no sense of morality.

Suddenly, an unexpected sandstorm blows up into the Reavers hideout and begins to trip them up before they can act.
    This has been caused by Storm who has come with her fellow X-Men to break up the Reavers' operation.
    While the others attack the main party, Dazzler and Longshot go to rescue Jessan.
    Furious at seeing Hoan being reprogrammed, Longshot cuts the filaments and saves her while Dazzler attacks and overpowers him.

While in the hideout's saloon, Colossus and Rogue attack the gathered Reavers, with an assist from Havok.
    When Bonebreaker grabs Rogue's bare arm, her powers absorb his memories, thoroughly disgusting her with how vile they are.

In the confusion, Bonebreaker, Skullbuster and Pretty Boy manage to get away and order Gateway to teleport them away, telling the Aboriginal that if he does so then his debt to them is paid.

When Gateway complies and the three senior Reavers manage to escape, Wolverine considers killing him,
    but Storm orders him to stand down, telling Logan that she thinks Gateway was forced into doing their bidding.

In the aftermath of the battle, the X-Men have gathered up the Reavers and bound them. With their mission accomplished they begin to wonder what to do with the captured Reavers,
    as letting them loose to the authorities would blow their cover of supposedly being dead. Roma appears before them and thanks the X-Men for completing the mission that she tasked them with.
    She then gives them the Siege Perilous, telling them that whoever passes through its gates is judged by the highest powers and is reborn into a new life where they can get a second chance.
    After some discussion, Storm gives the Reavers a choice: Go through the Siege, or be killed by Wolverine. The cowardly remains of the Reavers choose the Siege and soon traverse into it.
    Jessan cries against being forced through the Siege telling them that she was the Reavers' prisoner.
    The X-Men decide to leave her be and ask Roma to teleport her back home, something that Roma does thankfully.

Before departing, she tells the X-Men that they now have a bold new direction to go into, and leaves the Siege Perilous in their care.
    Telling them that they can choose to use it themselves should they desire to take on new lives.
    However, the X-Men all unanimously agree that they will stay together and go after their enemies before they consider doing this.
    As a final word, Roma tells the X-Men that she has caused them to be invisible to any scanning or detection method,
    be it technological, magic or biological in fashion -- save for the devices within the Reavers' base.
    With that, she departs and tells the X-Men that they have the opportunity to lead the world and that the future rests in their hands.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Marc Silvestri and Dan Green.

Love that first page "They do their best. Against Wolverine it isn't enougth".

More true words has never been spoken .

Nice post 616MarvelYear is LeapYear

If I'm not mistaken Uncanny X-Men #229 is the beginning of the outback era. This was such a fun era for the X-Men and it gave us so many iconic moments, such as Wolverine meeting Jubilee for the first time after escaping from the X-shaped crucifix in Uncanny X-Men #251 :

Last edited by Hush; 07-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Nice post 616MarvelYear is LeapYear

If I'm not mistaken Uncanny X-Men #229 is the beginning of the outback era. This was such a fun era for the X-Men and it gave us so many iconic moments, such as Wolverine meeting Jubilee for the first time after escaping from the X-shaped crucifix in Uncanny X-Men #251 :

That issue was amazing, The Reavers really did a number on him, besides i always enjoyed Logan as a sort of second in command to Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That issue was amazing, The Reavers really did a number on him, besides i always enjoyed Logan as a sort of second in command to Storm.
    I agree Wolverine second in command with Storm as a leader is really great, but I have to admit I also like Logan as a leader with a bunch of anti-heroes as teammates such as the Uncanny X-Force team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    I agree Wolverine second in command with Storm as a leader is really great, but I have to admit I also like Logan as a leader with a bunch of anti-heroes as teammates such as the Uncanny X-Force team.
    That's probably the best role that Wolverine has in the X-Men in a team book IMHO.

I still haven't finsishef the Dark Angel Saga (still on part 3), but i have enjoyed Wolverine there, specially the issue when Magneto asked him to kill that nazi (althougth i wonder why he asked him that), also it probably has the beat looking despiction of Logan (not pretty, but not to ugly either, it fits with him).

After reading an extensive amount of issue of Wolverine (largely thanks to the list that Hush recomended) i sort of narrowed the quality of his ongoing

From 1988 to 1994 (vol 2 1-90 with Claremont, PAD, Goodwin, Duffy, Hama) is mostly a good ride with a couple of misses along the way, 1995 to 2000 (vol 2 91-158) is very hit and miss with some great stuff, some meh and things that i don't really want to see again, 2001 to 2005 (vol 2 159-189, vol 3 1-32) before House of M is another hit and miss, but with Rucka, Tieri and Millar is mostly a good ride even if is not perfect, after that the misses increased.... a lot, at lesdt when it came to his solo, wich also help my theory that Marvel largely went to hell around 2004 or 05 with HOM and Civil War .

Just a random thougth, any opinions?.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I haven't read age of apocalypse completely but why didn't Logan's hand grow back? is there any specific reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I haven't read age of apocalypse completely but why didn't Logan's hand grow back? is there any specific reason for that?
    Back in those days, his healling factor didn't cover losing members, as you might know, Logan's regenarative abilities tend to be inconsistent since around the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Back in those days, his healling factor didn't cover losing members, as you might know, Logan's regenarative abilities tend to be inconsistent since around the late 90s.
    Thank you, I'm so used to his (relatively recent) stronger healing factor that totally forgot that it wasn't always the case.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 07-02-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

Thank you, I'm so used to his (relatively recent) stronger healing factor that totally forgot that it wasn't always the case.
    a way for it to make sense is they cauterized the wound preventing it from growing back, or that 616 logans healing factor became stronger after his feral period

Oh god, I adored feral Wolverine it was bizarrely cute

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    a way for it to make sense is they cauterized the wound preventing it from growing back, or that 616 logans healing factor became stronger after his feral period
    Yeah, that was kind of implied in Wolverine #92 if i remember correctly, i'm going to assume that is just his secondary mutation.

Oh god, I adored feral Wolverine it was bizarrely cute
    I'm not a big fan of that story arc, but i admit that first issue was kind of funny.

You know, Uncanny X-Men #133 is usually cited as the issue that make people start to care about Wolverine, leading to be the most popular X-Men, but i think that actually both Uncanny X-Men #116 is when the characther that we know today started to take form, so much of that issue feel like a prelude for what he would eventually turned out to be.