Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ultimate Member

Default Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker- critical reaction

Well, so far, it's been mixed (there goes that insanely stupid theory that Disney pays off or control critics).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._of_skywalker/. It's at 56% right now.

It does seem that a lot of criticism (a whole lot) is coming from the fact that JJ Abrams seriously walked back (in cases outright retconned) some elements of the The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi was well made but i had some problems with it (which have nothing to do with the whole ridiculous feminist, SJW nonsense....seriously, people need to toughen up and stop seeing opposing political points in everything they watch or read).

JJ and Rian Johnson have seriously competing film making ideologies and ultimately this has hurt this trilogy. Disney/Lucasfilm deserve some flak for this because rushing into a new trilogy without a concrete plan for a franchise with the cultural cache (and in some cases toxic fanbase) of Star Wars was ridiculous.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-18-2019 at 05:28 AM.

More like the fall of Skywalker. Yep the force is not with this trilogy

Mighty Member

Nice Christmas present for younger viewers - not.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Nice Christmas present for younger viewers - not.
    Younger viewers tend to enjoy the sequel series, I don't care for them but self delusion is not one of my character traits so I don't pretend that everyone thinks as I do.

Many Star Wars fans have never taken rotten tomatoes seriously, that was made clear with Last Jedi and Force Awakens. RT does not belong to the star wars generation in a serious criticism debate. the score means nothing in the real matters of things.

However, the score is now at 61, it was at 54 than its now at 61. that is quite a jump, most films don't do that. I wonder if Disney started writing out more cheques? I am surprised they did not pull a captain marvel with RT for rise of Skywalker. Anyway, this is the end. I am treating star wars like xmen, it ended with Logan and return of the Jedi. anything else ia just for a healthy discussion about how most of these series are not in their golden era anymore.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Many Star Wars fans have never taken rotten tomatoes seriously, that was made clear with Last Jedi and Force Awakens. RT does not belong to the star wars generation in a serious criticism debate. the score means nothing in the real matters of things.

However, the score is now at 61, it was at 54 than its now at 61. that is quite a jump, most films don't do that. I wonder if Disney started writing out more cheques? I am surprised they did not pull a captain marvel with RT for rise of Skywalker. Anyway, this is the end. I am treating star wars like xmen, it ended with Logan and return of the Jedi. anything else ia just for a healthy discussion about how most of these series are not in their golden era anymore.
    I'm thinking the very existence of negative and mixed critical reviews illustrates that the whole, "Disney pays for good reviews" idea is just a fantasy, but hey if that makes you feel better you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm thinking the very existence of negative and mixed critical reviews illustrates that the whole, "Disney pays for good reviews" idea is just a fantasy, but hey if that makes you feel better you do you.
    Part of me was being funny. on a serious note I think it is more complicated than that. some of these critics could be giving this movie a bad review to make up for the fact they gave last jedi good reviews. I am reading some of the reviews. some critics are complaining the movie spends time trying to clean up the wrongs of last jedi that why liked, the whole thing is messy with critics. Their credibility has been destroyed in every way possible. giving star wars bad and good reviews won't matter to common opinions many fans could share.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    But it was on Youtube, so it must be true. Right next to the"Disney buys tickets to bolster the numbers" nonsense^^

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

Exactly. Critics and reviews are simply irrelevant to Star Wars movies, at least the ones that are considered the main ones. Maybe critics were always irrelevant.

I had not considered that the people who tend to post on RT are simply of a particular generation and don't reflect what a lot of people want from Stars Wars. It's also true that there are so many differing opinions. One group wants Star Wars to "move on" and away from the original characters or people connected to them and essentially standing in for them. Another group feels like there's no point in calling it Star Wars if you're going to move away from everything they feel makes it Star Wars.

Creatively, the real damage to this trilogy came from having two almost opposite visions. Combined with the movies like Solo doing poorly, there may be no coming back from this creatively. But the main movies (with episode numbers) steamroll on. So, yes, this RT stuff is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. [And he cleverly plagiarized Shakespeare. Wow, that was a subtle as the Last Jedi].
    Power with Girl is better.

I give this person credit for her review. She does a better job than I ever could summing up my feelings about ROS and why I'm disappointed by the movie (several abandoned story beats from TLJ). If you have time I'd recommend giving the vid a watch.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I was amazed that it's only at 56% with critics although it's at 86% with fan reviews though that's all only on RT. Meanwhile, the Last Jedi, with its sledgehammer approach to "obvious subversiveness" or "unexpected only because it makes no sense", is at an incomprehensible 91% among critics. Well, not incomprehensible. They are judging it purely on it's own merits, not as a Star Wars movie or as part of continuity within Star Wars. But, even then, it's so heavy handed and obvious, with a one upper attitude like a Ring Master in a three-ring circus bringing you the next amazing thing you won't believe (because it makes no sense) that they most likely agree with it's messages and that's all that matters. I agree with its social messages too but that's not all that matters in a story.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about TROS which I've given an opinion on within another thread. I'll just say I think it did a darn good job considering it had three hours worth of material stuffed into two hours and had to spend a considerable amount of time either explaining or undoing the last movie.

Oh, and I'm sure that, despite the poor critic reviews, it's laying waste at the box office. But I guess it doesn't get the free pass MCU movies get just by being MCU movies (not that some are not great but there's clearly a kid gloves approach to reviewing some of them).
    Last edited by Powerboy; 12-27-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.