Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker- critical reaction

Well, so far, it's been mixed (there goes that insanely stupid theory that Disney pays off or control critics).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._of_skywalker/. It's at 56% right now.

It does seem that a lot of criticism (a whole lot) is coming from the fact that JJ Abrams seriously walked back (in cases outright retconned) some elements of the The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi was well made but i had some problems with it (which have nothing to do with the whole ridiculous feminist, SJW nonsense....seriously, people need to toughen up and stop seeing opposing political points in everything they watch or read).

JJ and Rian Johnson have seriously competing film making ideologies and ultimately this has hurt this trilogy. Disney/Lucasfilm deserve some flak for this because rushing into a new trilogy without a concrete plan for a franchise with the cultural cache (and in some cases toxic fanbase) of Star Wars was ridiculous.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-18-2019 at 05:28 AM.

More like the fall of Skywalker. Yep the force is not with this trilogy

Mighty Member

Nice Christmas present for younger viewers - not.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Nice Christmas present for younger viewers - not.
    Younger viewers tend to enjoy the sequel series, I don't care for them but self delusion is not one of my character traits so I don't pretend that everyone thinks as I do.

Many Star Wars fans have never taken rotten tomatoes seriously, that was made clear with Last Jedi and Force Awakens. RT does not belong to the star wars generation in a serious criticism debate. the score means nothing in the real matters of things.

However, the score is now at 61, it was at 54 than its now at 61. that is quite a jump, most films don't do that. I wonder if Disney started writing out more cheques? I am surprised they did not pull a captain marvel with RT for rise of Skywalker. Anyway, this is the end. I am treating star wars like xmen, it ended with Logan and return of the Jedi. anything else ia just for a healthy discussion about how most of these series are not in their golden era anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Many Star Wars fans have never taken rotten tomatoes seriously, that was made clear with Last Jedi and Force Awakens. RT does not belong to the star wars generation in a serious criticism debate. the score means nothing in the real matters of things.

However, the score is now at 61, it was at 54 than its now at 61. that is quite a jump, most films don't do that. I wonder if Disney started writing out more cheques? I am surprised they did not pull a captain marvel with RT for rise of Skywalker. Anyway, this is the end. I am treating star wars like xmen, it ended with Logan and return of the Jedi. anything else ia just for a healthy discussion about how most of these series are not in their golden era anymore.
    I'm thinking the very existence of negative and mixed critical reviews illustrates that the whole, "Disney pays for good reviews" idea is just a fantasy, but hey if that makes you feel better you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm thinking the very existence of negative and mixed critical reviews illustrates that the whole, "Disney pays for good reviews" idea is just a fantasy, but hey if that makes you feel better you do you.
    Part of me was being funny. on a serious note I think it is more complicated than that. some of these critics could be giving this movie a bad review to make up for the fact they gave last jedi good reviews. I am reading some of the reviews. some critics are complaining the movie spends time trying to clean up the wrongs of last jedi that why liked, the whole thing is messy with critics. Their credibility has been destroyed in every way possible. giving star wars bad and good reviews won't matter to common opinions many fans could share.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Part of me was being funny. on a serious note I think it is more complicated than that. some of these critics could be giving this movie a bad review to make up for the fact they gave last jedi good reviews. I am reading some of the reviews. some critics are complaining the movie spends time trying to clean up the wrongs of last jedi that why liked, the whole thing is messy with critics. Their credibility has been destroyed in every way possible. giving star wars bad and good reviews won't matter to common opinions many fans could share.
    I like occam's razor: the simplest solution is probably true. So in this case they gave the Last Jedi good views because they thought it was a good film and gave this one mixed or negative reviews because they had mixed or negative feelings about it. But hey, again, if conspiracy theories make you feel good then go for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I like occam's razor: the simplest solution is probably true. So in this case they gave the Last Jedi good views because they thought it was a good film and gave this one mixed or negative reviews because they had mixed or negative feelings about it. But hey, again, if conspiracy theories make you feel good then go for it.
    But to even believe that theory, it would mean that different people like different things. And that movie quality is subjective. Isn't it easier to believe that Disney is evil and everyone who says they like Disney is lying?

Astonishing Member

In many ways, the film plays it extremely safe. It does back track certain bits from TLJ. Namely spoilers:
    Luke admits that he was wrong to exile himself away and that he did it out of fear. The Luke in this is the wise Jedi most expected in TLJ. He is pretty much like he was in the original trilogy.
    end of spoilers

I am still going to go see this Friday night with an open mind. Unfortunately, I did potentially get spoiled by some jerks in the comments sections of the Fallen Jedi Order game review on YouTube and sadly from some of the reviews it seems some of the stuff fanboys been crying about with leaks might be true. I am in the camp that didn't hate Last Jedi but I was let down by Luke's character arch. But after repeat viewings and watching it along with the other films, it kinda works.

But one review ( I think IGN) made a good point. It seems Disney didn't have an endgame in mind with the new trilogy, they were just making it up as they went along. Say what you will about the George Lucas prequels but he did know where he wanted to go with the plot through out all three films (personally Revenge of the Sith is one of my top Star Wars films). I thought the original plan of having three different directors on each of the new films was a mistake cause filmmakers all have different visions. Now we see the problem with that as Rian Johnson clearly had a different vision than JJ.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 12-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.

I think Lucas pretty much had the obvious endgame mapped out for the prequels-but there will still multiple changes throughout the films development. For instance many discarded Sith lord designs either made their way to the Jedi (Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto) or into other media(Ventress).

In fact Anakin's turn wasn't really figured out until well into production. That's why in the finished movie Anakin seems to have two different motives for going dark-one, that he believed the (1)Jedi betrayed the Republic and (2) to save Padme. Originally it was mainly going to be just (1) and there's an alternate version of the council confronting Palpatine with Anakin already in the office, for example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think Lucas pretty much had the obvious endgame mapped out for the prequels-but there will still multiple changes throughout the films development. For instance many discarded Sith lord designs either made their way to the Jedi (Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto) or into other media(Ventress).

In fact Anakin's turn wasn't really figured out until well into production. That's why in the finished movie Anakin seems to have two different motives for going dark-one, that he believed the (1)Jedi betrayed the Republic and (2) to save Padme. Originally it was mainly going to be just (1) and there's an alternate version of the council confronting Palpatine with Anakin already in the office, for example.
    I think I heard about that on some other forums before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think Lucas pretty much had the obvious endgame mapped out for the prequels-but there will still multiple changes throughout the films development.
    Lucas had complete scripts for all three movies worked out before TPM went into production. But at the same time, Lucas as a director going back to his student days and so on, likes to iterate and change stuff.

In the case of the prequels, Lucas did reshoots and changes as well, dropping whole subplots. When you own the property and your producer and have funds and so on, you can do that stuff. That's how Chaplin worked.

Yeah that's there in the deleted scenes. It's obvious that Lucas wanted Anakin's fall into the dark side to be a step-by-step thing, and a gradual thing, and he wanted audiences to think right until the last minute, Anakin could back out. So that's why Anakin is the one who goes to Mace Windu when Palpatine outs himself as Sidious, doing his job as a Jedi Knight. He didn't want it to be simply one thing. It's not just that Anakin thinks the Jedi are betraying the Republic, or just that he wants to save Padme. It's both and he's divided in trying to decide which is which, until it boils over and he makes a mess of things.

The point in ROTS is that Anakin is torn between being a Jedi and saving Padme's life who he believes is endangered so he's constantly going back-and-forth and that's what is there in the first half of that movie (which full disclosure...is the first Star Wars movie I saw in theaters and is the one I have seen more times than most and the one I consider the best of the bunch by far).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I am still going to go see this Friday night with an open mind. Unfortunately, I did potentially get spoiled by some jerks in the comments sections of the Fallen Jedi Order game review on YouTube and sadly from some of the reviews it seems some of the stuff fanboys been crying about with leaks might be true. I am in the camp that didn't hate Last Jedi but I was let down by Luke's character arch. But after repeat viewings and watching it along with the other films, it kinda works.

But one review ( I think IGN) made a good point. It seems Disney didn't have an endgame in mind with the new trilogy, they were just making it up as they went along. Say what you will about the George Lucas prequels but he did know where he wanted to go with the plot through out all three films (personally Revenge of the Sith is one of my top Star Wars films). I thought the original plan of having three different directors on each of the new films was a mistake cause filmmakers all have different visions. Now we see the problem with that as Rian Johnson clearly had a different vision than JJ.
    It was mapped out. Abrams and Kasdan wrote TFA and did treatments for 8 and 9. They had a general idea of where things were going (with room to make certain changes as they went along). Rian comes on for TLJ and Abrams (going by some accounts) offered his notes and the treatments to Johnson to ensure everything lined up. He declined as he already had his own ideas about what he wanted to do.

A lot of Abrams ideas for episode 8 are worked into ROS.