Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Not to worried about the critics because they loved Last Jedi whereas fans were highly disappointed. That says to me its got to be better than Last Jedi.

BANNED

Where SW are concerned early receptions aren’t indicative of long term reputation. ESB wasn’t as well regarded as the first one. And it wasn’t brilliant the mid 90s that ESB came to be seen as better than ROTJ. TLJ has a better reception than ESB did. Few back then claimed that it was better than the first. Whereas a lot did for TLJ. TROS’ weak reception might well work in its favour.

For instance in the years of the prequel releases their critical approval was high. Marc Klino pointed out that ROTS was second most well reviewed movie after ANH.

Then the backlash happened and now after the backlash we have a lot of critics saying the prequels are great. With them even being supported by art house critics.

I think the ST will decline in critical esteem. Maybe not in SW fandom where some fans will like them always. I mean SW is so large that it kind of developed it’s own internal critical schools.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It was mapped out. Abrams and Kasdan wrote TFA and did treatments for 8 and 9. They had a general idea of where things were going (with room to make certain changes as they went along). Rian comes on for TLJ and Abrams (going by some accounts) offered his notes and the treatments to Johnson to ensure everything lined up. He declined as he already had his own ideas about what he wanted to do.

A lot of Abrams ideas for episode 8 are worked into ROS.
    I hate to say it be Rian Johnson might be the biggest reason this new trilogy hasn't landed the way it should have. I don't hate the guy like the toxic fans do. But I guess, his film Last Jedi really screwed things up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Not to worried about the critics because they loved Last Jedi whereas fans were highly disappointed. That says to me its got to be better than Last Jedi.
    Not all fans.

To be honest, I liked the Last Jedi as a stand alone movie. It's not perfect, but there's no perfect Star Wars movies. That said, a lot of my problems with the Last Jedi and the sequel trilogy in general really start with The Force Awakens. Based on spoilers for this movie and critical reaction, I think the failings of the sequel trilogy are clear at this point.

I've heard the test screenings gave overall negative reactions to this movie, so I'm not shocked by the low critic scores. Time will tell how the general audience view ROS.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I liked the film but it is rushed and it does walk back quite a bit on the Last Jedi. I do still think that the Last Jedi is, flat out, the best Star Wars film outside of the original trilogy but the fact that the middle part of the trilogy was written and directed by someone with a completely different vision to Abrams is the single greatest reason why The Rise of Skywalker isn't as good as it could be. I think there's tons that's just great about this film and Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, in particular, just knock it out of the park but the whole thing comes across like JJ trying to fit the second and third parts of his trilogy into one movie, while also dealing with the fall out of TLJ. I'm a big fan of Abrams and Johnson but they were both hurt by trying to work within each other's stories.

Again, though, it's a very cool Star Wars movie and overall a satisfying and emotional climax to the "Skywalker Saga" but it left me wanting more - both for good or ill.

One thing that makes all this worth it, though, is that those who complained that Rey is a so-called "Mary Sue" (whereas Luke wasn't, nosiree) are going to be apoplectic about her in this film. I would love to watch this in a room full of misogynists just to watch their reaction. It would be properly bloody hilarious.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I liked the film but it is rushed and it does walk back quite a bit on the Last Jedi. I do still think that the Last Jedi is, flat out, the best Star Wars film outside of the original trilogy but the fact that the middle part of the trilogy was written and directed by someone with a completely different vision to Abrams is the single greatest reason why The Rise of Skywalker isn't as good as it could be. I think there's tons that's just great about this film and Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, in particular, just knock it out of the park but the whole thing comes across like JJ trying to fit the second and third parts of his trilogy into one movie, while also dealing with the fall out of TLJ. I'm a big fan of Abrams and Johnson but they were both hurt by trying to work within each other's stories.

Again, though, it's a very cool Star Wars movie and overall a satisfying and emotional climax to the "Skywalker Saga" but it left me wanting more - both for good or ill.

One thing that makes all this worth it, though, is that those who complained that Rey is a so-called "Mary Sue" (whereas Luke wasn't, nosiree) are going to be apoplectic about her in this film. I would love to watch this in a room full of misogynists just to watch their reaction. It would be properly bloody hilarious.
    I'd be up for that screening lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Not all fans.

To be honest, I liked the Last Jedi as a stand alone movie. It's not perfect, but there's no perfect Star Wars movies. That said, a lot of my problems with the Last Jedi and the sequel trilogy in general really start with The Force Awakens. Based on spoilers for this movie and critical reaction, I think the failings of the sequel trilogy are clear at this point.
    Agreed. I'm not sure there was anything TLJ or ROS could've have done to fix the sins of Force Awakens. The trilogy, for me, was dead on arrival with that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post

From what I am gathering, many have said the movie should have been 2 films. Critics are too late though. Why do I think I will like this film better than TFA they gave glowing reviews.

It was mapped out. Abrams and Kasdan wrote TFA and did treatments for 8 and 9. They had a general idea of where things were going (with room to make certain changes as they went along). Rian comes on for TLJ and Abrams (going by some accounts) offered his notes and the treatments to Johnson to ensure everything lined up. He declined as he already had his own ideas about what he wanted to do.

Well, things will go smoother once Rian has his own trilogy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Well, things will go smoother once Rian has his own trilogy.

Yikes, double post. Sorry folks.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-18-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Double post
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    From what I am gathering, many have said the movie should have been 2 films. Critics are too late though. Why do I think I will like this film better than TFA they gave glowing reviews.
    Thinking about it further, you actually could split them. I am just thinking about which point you would do it spoilers:
    after Chewie gets captured, after he gets rescued, or when Rey departs from the wreck of The Death Star?
    end of spoilers

On the whole I just thought of this Trilogy wasnt cannon and more akin to fan fiction

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Anyone else feel like there are way more leaks about this movie than the previous ones? Or heck, even more leaks than any movie I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Anyone else feel like there are way more leaks about this movie than the previous ones? Or heck, even more leaks than any movie I can remember.
    I hadn’t noticed but then again I don’t go searching for spoilers