Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

It took 15 years for them to make a SW film worse than AOTC. Now it only takes two for them to make one worse than TLJ. This was, embarrassing. And tossing out everything accomplished in the OT for this, I regret ever having put any faith in them to handle this well. The Skywalker Saga deserved a FAR better ending than this.

Extraordinary Member

It was kind of fun, but only if you turn your whole brain off. Plot/writing were frankly at middling fanfiction level and the movie was coasting on the visuals and the music to an even greater extent than the prequels did. I can understand why many of these choices were made, but dang if they weren't the wrong choices. If this movie was split in 3 and was the entire trilogy it might have worked, but as a single movie it's a giant mess.

In hindsight I think this trilogy was doomed from its inception and having 'mystery boxes' was a terrible idea for a sequel trilogy. There simply weren't any good answers possible for most of the mysteries built up in Force Awakens, and that movie already undid everything that was accomplished in the original trilogy. Plus making the only child of either Luke or Leia the new Darth Vader automatically meant a bad end for the entire Skywalker bloodline no matter what they did with him, whether they had him die a villain or go on to be redeemed and live a long life. At least when the old EU did that story, as horrible as that story was, there were still Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker who stayed true.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-19-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

The moment that they decided to hit the giant reset button and try to do OT 2.0, and throw in pointless mystery boxes, is where problems started. Having no solid overall vision of where to go, and just winging it, didn't help.

Trying to "make a statement" or whatever, only made it worse still.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The moment that they decided to hit the giant reset button and try to do OT 2.0, and throw in pointless mystery boxes, is where problems started. Having no solid overall vision of where to go, and just winging it, didn't help.

Trying to "make a statement" or whatever, only made it worse still.
    You know until The Force Awakens, there had never been flashbacks in Star Wars movies. None of the OT or the PT had flashbacks.

Lucas never used mystery boxes in the OT or the PT. There was just one big plot twist in ESB and maybe the second with Luke and Leia being twins. But that was it.

Whereas TFA is freaking Lost with the stuff it tries to set up without knowing how it would pay off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There was just one big plot twist in ESB and maybe the second with Luke and Leia being twins. But that was it.
    Wait...what was the plot twist in Empire Strikes Back? I first watched it 40 years ago and have never seen one in that movie

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Wait...what was the plot twist in Empire Strikes Back? I first watched it 40 years ago and have never seen one in that movie
    Vader turns out to be Luke's dad, After he was told vader killed his dad in episode 4.

ESB foreshadowed the twist, when Luke was training with Yoda, He cuts off vader's head only to see his own head. Yoda looked worried....very worried. That was meant to hint there was a link between Vader and Luke before the reveal in the climax of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You know until The Force Awakens, there had never been flashbacks in Star Wars movies. None of the OT or the PT had flashbacks.

Lucas never used mystery boxes in the OT or the PT. There was just one big plot twist in ESB and maybe the second with Luke and Leia being twins. But that was it.

Whereas TFA is freaking Lost with the stuff it tries to set up without knowing how it would pay off.
    Its funny how you said Lucas never used mystery boxes, true. However, JJ Abrams has convinced himself and the world that star wars was a mystery box.

He is one of the worst mystery boxers. I think his worst was pretending Khan was not in star trek into darkness. another movie he made that got lots of Trek fans very angry.

Mystery box or Mystery hoax?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Mystery box or Mystery hoax?
    Anyone who watched the end of Lost will tell you it is the latter rather than the former lmao.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Honestly, I want to be pumped to see this tonight, but everyone I know that saw it last night is telling me to lower my expectations.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure about the definition of "Mystery Box" but the only
    thing that remotely fits is who was Empire's "Other" with Force Potential.

I frankly doubt that Lucas had Leia planned to be the other all along or he wouldn't have teased them as a possible
    couple.

So whatever else is wrong (or right) with this new trilogy...making stuff up as they go along is nothing new for Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Anyone who watched the end of Lost will tell you it is the latter rather than the former lmao.
    Abrams had virtually no connection to the show after the pilot. He created that then the reigns were handed over to Lindelof/Cuse. So its never really been fair to associate him that much with Lost.

On the other hand Lost was freaking awesome so he should be proud of that association anyway.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Abrams had virtually no connection to the show after the pilot. He created that then the reigns were handed over to Lindelof/Cuse. So its never really been fair to associate him that much with Lost.

On the other hand Lost was freaking awesome so he should be proud of that association anyway.
    It was a huge disappointment for me. You don't build up layer upon layer of questions only to never answer the vast majority of them, a clear example of bad writing 101. Oh, don't worry we'll explain it in the DVD extras or in spinoff material. What a joke.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.

I wanted the majority of the larger questions to remain unanswered. I didn't want to know for sure what the island was or why it had power. I preferred the vague allusions. It just was and it just did. Granted obviously in reality they didn't know and didn't craft it. Its well documented by now by even themselves that they didn't. But even if they had I still would have wanted them to keep it themselves as just sort of a bible of info and not reveal it categorically. What it is being interpret-able is a huge appeal to me.

But I digress.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-20-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I wanted the majority of the larger questions to remain unanswered. I didn't want to know for sure what the island was or why its powerful.
    Well, I did. Plus nothing was accomplished by them leaving the Island only to return. Seasons four and five could have been cut out or condense. That time would have been better spent actually developing the overall plot and fleshing out the Island mysteries rather than cramming all that info (what they did give of it) into season six.