Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Seriously?... No one's commenting about how "Earth One becomes Earth 1985" after COIE..... Meaning the Silver/Bronze Age characters and their history continue to exist in an "unexplored" Earth....

That's sooooooo cool.

ALso I hate DIana making her debut earlier. That's why we needed the Multiverse. So we can have a Golden Age WW on one Earth, a Silver Age on another, etc.

Beyond that, we JUST had Rebirth, which helped straighten things out. SO we're gonna mess with it all again, negate the Steve Trevor stuff, and all that wonderful "Rebirth" retelling of her origin in today's world? *sigh*

I'm excited to see more of both Earth 1985 and the original Earth 2. Hopefully they both get ongoing books!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

ALso I hate DIana making her debut earlier. That's why we needed the Multiverse. So we can have a Golden Age WW on one Earth, a Silver Age on another, etc.

Beyond that, we JUST had Rebirth, which helped straighten things out. SO we're gonna mess with it all again, negate the Steve Trevor stuff, and all that wonderful "Rebirth" retelling of her origin in today's world? *sigh*
    Diana debuting in the golden age opens up so many questions, I feel like we need them answered fairly quickly before Diana's history becomes a bloody mess.
    The leaked timeline from Comic-con gave away her golden age debut and explained that Diana retreated to P.I. after the war and returned for the modern era. But there are still so many open questions here...

1. Were there two Etta Candys? One in WWII and the current one in the modern age. (Is she a descendent to the original?)

2. Is Steve old again (technically he'd be dead from old age if he's the original). Are they going to go the movie route and have him "die" but then come back in the modern era through some magical resurrection or time slip?

3. Does this impact Donna's origin in any way? (I'm hopeful on this one that it's a yes). If Diana has been around this long, she could have easily rescued baby Donna at any point and brought her to the island. No need for the god-awful "created as a teenager from clay to rule the Amazons during the same period Diana wasn't supposed to be able to return to the island, and yet somehow Diana was on the island, and also somebody please kill me so I never have to type that out again" origin.

4. If Steve was the golden age reason for Diana to leave Themiscyra, what was the modern age reason for her to return?

I don't necessarily hate Diana having a longer history, I just want DC to establish a roadmap before they do their typical screw up of Diana's history.
    Sounds like an ideal focus for an annual. "The Life and Times of Princess Diana" or some such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    ....after the 50's she retreats back to P.I. and stays there until the dawn of the modern age.
    Ohhhh god this sounds awful.

This right here is a big reason why I hate the decision to put Diana back in World War II. Because you then have to get her to modern time so she can interact with the characters we care about and therefore explain what the hell's she's been doing for the past century.
    And surprise, it winds up being a cheap hand-wave that is a tremendous disservice to her character and wasted opportunity.

There are potentially compelling questions to confront Diana with. How long does she really plan on being Wonder Woman? If enough time went by, would the job or watching her friends and loved ones age wear on her, and if so, what would she do?
    As it stands, the only stories off the top of my head to even come close to addressing this is New Frontier and (to an extent) Kingdom Come.

But by doing this, they force the answers: Either she's just been Wonder Woman this whole time, or she gave up and went home for a bit and came back. So she's either static or she quits.
    This was the DCEU's big mistake with Diana...initially suggesting she'd just been sitting on her ass for a hundred years until Superman "inspired" her to a hero again. Patty Jenkins threw it out, thankfully, but it still left them written in a corner: where the hell has Diana been all this time and why didn't anybody know about her?

Yeah, yeah, I already know what some people will say: "DC could come up with a compelling explanation for what she's doing this whole time that doesn't involve her quitting or whatever."
    Yeah, they could. But they won't.

And for what really? What do we get out this?
    Hooray, Diana is the "first" hero as if that's supposed to mean anything. Whoopti-freaking-doo, DC, you still write her like trash.

I want to see more of Earth-1985 and Earth-52. If I could get more of Superman and Wonder Woman in both those realities, it would be more than sating enough during 5G which I'm already out for, lead up and all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd love some stuff for Earth-1985. It'd be nice to get more stories from the era before DC started ruining their continuity.

I'd even be ok with Azzarello and Chiang reuniting for an Earth-52 tale, it would be much less problematic as long as it's isolated there and isn't the only option.

How the Bronze Age would have evolved without the Crisis is certainly an interesting thing to explore. Hell the narrative of DDC outright suggests it very well might. I mean nothing's for sure, marking it as specifically unexplored could just be a meta statement more than Johns actually hinting at plans considering his lesser role in the comics now, but its an appealing thought nonetheless.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Seriously?... No one's commenting about how "Earth One becomes Earth 1985" after COIE..... Meaning the Silver/Bronze Age characters and their history continue to exist in an "unexplored" Earth....

That's sooooooo cool.
    So where do the stories in the EARTH ONE books take place. e.g., Morrison and Paquette's WONDER WOMAN?

An Earth that preceded what is now Earth-1985?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    So where do the stories in the EARTH ONE books take place. e.g., Morrison and Paquette's WONDER WOMAN?

An Earth that preceded what is now Earth-1985?
    Hopefully in a limbo universe nowhere near Earth-1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I want to see more of Earth-1985 and Earth-52. If I could get more of Superman and Wonder Woman in both those realities, it would be more than sating enough during 5G which I'm already out for, lead up and all.
    I'm with you on seeing more Superman and Wonder Woman on those Earths.

Diana debuting in the golden age opens up so many questions, I feel like we need them answered fairly quickly before Diana's history becomes a bloody mess.

3. Does this impact Donna's origin in any way? (I'm hopeful on this one that it's a yes). If Diana has been around this long, she could have easily rescued baby Donna at any point and brought her to the island. No need for the god-awful "created as a teenager from clay to rule the Amazons during the same period Diana wasn't supposed to be able to return to the island, and yet somehow Diana was on the island, and also somebody please kill me so I never have to type that out again" origin.
    Honestly, that was absolutely stupid, giving Donna a new origin in that Justice League/Titans crossover, which was ALREADY obsolete because of Rebirth wiping out all of New 52 Wonder Woman. They need to just revert back to Donna's original origin.

And it's not just Diana's continuity that's a mess, the whole of DC is right now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Sorry if someone else already brought this up but I assume this means YO is no longer canon?
    Assassinate Putin!

Just wait until the metaverse is detroyed by Calendar Man or somebody.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just wait until the metaverse is detroyed by Calendar Man or somebody.
    No way. It'll be Polka Dot Man!
    Assassinate Putin!

I mean this is another mess. I mean the issue would be for the best for multiverse to be their own line.

Wonder Woman's history has been a mess since the start of The New 52 at least. I feel like I know less, not more, about her backstory and that of the Amazons with each new writer that comes along.

And, of course, Donna's history has been a mess since the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths (if not before). It wasn't CoIE itself that was the problem; it was the decision to place Wonder Woman's debut as a superhero in the new timeline (what some called "Clutter-Earth") five or more years after the beginning of the JLA "heroic era," while maintaining that the Teen Titans (including Donna) had been active between the JLA starting and Wonder Woman coming along.

The decision to start Diana off as Wonder Woman with the JSA in WW II, then have her "go away" until the JLA starts, sounds like the same mistake they made it the movies, where they said, or strongly implied (via Batman's statement), that she started in WW I, then went away until the time of Superman and Batman. They're having to retcon - or "reinterpret" - that for Wonder Woman 1984.

And the decision not to simply have her start her career alongside Superman and Batman looks like the same mistake they made after CoIE, and seems likely to completely mess up her supporting cast, her relationship to the JLA, and a lot of other things. (It's true that at least it would make it possible that she was the one who rescued Donna and brought her to Themyscira. But there are other ways to fix up Donna's origin without that. I mean, Hippolyta, on a brief sojourn to Man's World, could have done it.)

I think they're trying to have their cake and eat it too, and that rarely works out well. They should put a powerful woman warrior not using the name Wonder Woman - some other Amazon, Roy Thomas's Fury (who I loved when he was writing her, but who was later the subject of character assassination, and then entirely eliminated from the timeline), somebody else - and let Wonder Woman be of the same generation of superheroes as Superman and Batman.

Of course, they might do the WW II thing and get it right. But past experience suggests otherwise.

I am suffering from multiverse fatigue. I'd like to see them get one timeline, one continuity right before branching out into umpteen others.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/