Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Yeah, Gambit and Jubes are the only two who aren't really clicking for me here. Trinary should've stuck around since she was helping Apocalypse with the gate stuff. I think she would've been fun here.
    The criminal thing is they actually could work here very well. They're both energy generators and ••A•• is trying to make limitless magic. Just tie their powers in like with Rictor and then you'll have a reason for them to stick around.

I get that there are a lot of world(lore?)-building chess pieces moving around in this book, with Clan Akkaba/Apocalypse’s shennanigans/Captain Britain lore, but they’re moving too slowly. DragonShogo and the tear from the Otherworld into IRL England could have happened in issue 2. Maybe Bets could have saved the Queen from griffins attacking Buckingham Palace. Everyone but Betsy is obviously a plaything in Apocalype’s larger plan. Only Gambit seems to have realised that, but Gambit being angry and annoyed isn’t fun to read.

It’s frustrating that there’s so much potential in the premise, but the nuts and bolts of storytelling are letting it down and it’s been stretched over 5 issues instead of 3. Everybody’s doing and saying what they need to in service of the plot.

Also, is it me or is Gambit looking kinda teenager-y in the art?

ETA: (Not really annoyed about the mention of Northern Ireland. TBH I’m grateful Tini and Jubes did a bit of research.

EETA: Is Moria McTaggart a Unionist? How does she feel about Captain Britain representing Scotland?
    Last edited by Foon4000; 12-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    The criminal thing is they actually could work here very well. They're both energy generators and ••A•• is trying to make limitless magic. Just tie their powers in like with Rictor and then you'll have a reason for them to stick around.
    I wonder if that is part of his actual plan. Like, sure he says he wants to use Gambit cause he's a thief but having him and Rogue both be some kind of magic energy conduits seems like a much better masterplan.

I can also agree with the poster earlier who said Jubilee's inclusion is mainly for a future Shogo plot but it was just handled pretty clunky. But each issue I see Tini working out some of her issues and all the concepts and side stories are still engaging to me to hold onto hope it all comes together in the end. I really do feel once this first arc is over future issues will read a lot smoother. She's stretching a lot out to fit into these six issues.

Their research was totally wrong! Northern Irish people are not British, they are Irish. Only people on the island that has Scotland, England and Wales are British. That is deeply insulting.

I don't think they purposely tried to insult anyone. And it probably went over everyone's head.

decent issue.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I don't think they purposely tried to insult anyone. And it probably went over everyone's head.
    It is just so incredibly insensitive. Did no one at Marvel know that they had a war over this exact thing very very recently and people were actually killed in bombings over that?

I am a massive fan of this book, every week I have praised it and I have also gritted my teeth over the years when reading the accents of moira, banshee, wolfsbane and chamber but that panel should never have gone to print and it's even worse that jubilee says "that part is important".

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Their research was totally wrong! Northern Irish people are not British, they are Irish. Only people on the island that has Scotland, England and Wales are British. That is deeply insulting.
    A lot of people in Northern Ireland identify as British even though Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland and not the island of Britain. There’s an ongoing court case from a woman who was born in Northern Ireland and wants to bring her American husband in to NI on EU spouse rules, not British spousal-visa rules. She’s been told by the government that she’s British by default unless she gets a British passport then formally renounces citizenship. So what was said in this issue is the legal position of the current British government, still to be tested in the UK Supreme Court or EUCHR. TL;DR: everything’s awful. Source: am from Northern Ireland.

I liked this issue but this series has been so inconsistent. I keep finding my opinion changed from issue to issue

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    A lot of people in Northern Ireland identify as British even though Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland and not the island of Britain. There’s an ongoing court case from a woman who was born in Northern Ireland and wants to bring her American husband in to NI on EU spouse rules, not British spousal-visa rules. She’s been told by the government that she’s British by default unless she gets a British passport then formally renounces citizenship. TL;DR: everything’s awful. Source: am from Northern Ireland.
    And alot of people do NOT identify and would have seizures if they thought the rest of the world viewed them as british.
    Source: I am also from northern ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    And alot of people do NOT identify and would have seizures if they thought the rest of the world viewed them as british.
    Source: I am also from northern ireland.
    I know that, but a person like Betsy or Pete Wisdom (both of whom take orders from the Queen) would regard NI people as British by default, so Tini’s just depicting the British establishment POV of citizenship.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    This is the first issue fo me that really shows the potential of this series.
    I've actually seen the potential every issue. I like the premise and a lot of the ideas. It's just not great execution. It still feels like this book should get another round or two of polishing before getting published. Maybe the editors are overwhelmed.

i think the editors are definitely overwhelmed.

BANNED

I liked this and the series so far. Having trouble finding what exactly is hard to follow about the story as many people have expressed. Not saying it isn't for these people, just that it isn't for me.

Could care less about Gambit, which kind of nullifies his bad characterization probably. Also people say the story is rushed but then also want it to hurry up and get to Rogue already and Apocalypse's plans and for Gambit and Jubes to have big roles already. Like we're only four issues in and everyone is complaining about things not being concretely fleshed out.

Idk, not every book needs to have the pacing of X-force to me. And i've actually felt that a lot has happened since issue one.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Could care less about Gambit, which kind of nullifies his bad characterization probably. Also people say the story is rushed but then also want it to hurry up and get to Rogue already and Apocalypse's plans and for Gambit and Jubes to have big roles already. Like we're only four issues in and everyone is complaining about things not being concretely fleshed out.
    lol 4 issues is more than enough to flesh out more than 2 characters.