Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 372
  1. #271
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Those nations are also violating international laws by not letting mutants enter the gates in places where they are recognized as Krakoan citizens. *Shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    They're rescuing refugees seeking asylum. So it could be argued they already have the moral high ground on their side, when it comes to optics.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    In Russia in marauders it was flat out said they were going to be sent to be experimented on. Also in the latest issue the Brazilian guy flat out says the children are property of the military. In most civilized places you can't experiment on children or force them into the army.
    Rescuing people seeking asylum is fine and dandy when you're an advocacy group, but when you are acting as the armed services of a nation is a different matter. Assaulting the military forces of another nation is potentially an act of war. And Brazil doesn't recognize Krakoa as a nation, so they aren't required let anyone go there. And even if they were, so? Military force is not proportionate response to a nation not letting people travel. We only have a couple sentences to work with, so we don't know what Brazil is like for mutants. Given that the X-men have made use of child soldiers for the entirety of their existence, and are STILL using them, that's hardly justification for attacking.

    If they had been smuggling people out clandestine like it would have been cool. But attacking the navy in broad daylight without any subtlety? Not even wearing a mask? Ludicrous. This is a fast way to make every nation hate them, and give them a legitimate pretense beyond just 'mutant bad'. As strong as the mutants are, a tiny nation like Krakoa can't survive without allies. If they want us to take Krakoa seriously as an actual country, they have to start acting like one.

  2. #272
    Solid Member Odd Rödney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    subtextually bisexual
    That's a damn good name for a band right there!
    “After my initial feeling of being violated, seeing that pompous fool using my creation to stroke his infantile ego, it finally struck me that the leader of my country and the free world actually enjoys comparing himself to a mass murderer." - Jim Starlin, December 2019.

  3. #273
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    11,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    So that means she's gonna be thirsty for a married man next?
    Just a man. Logan fell in love with Jean much before her married

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, sure. But even if Duggan dwelves into this more seriously(and there's a chance that he won't), I doubt that her seriously injuring bad guys specifically is gonna be made a big deal of.
    The way it has been treated as a joke, I don't think any of this gonna be treated seriously
    Last edited by spirit2011; 12-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #274
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Rescuing people seeking asylum is fine and dandy when you're an advocacy group, but when you are acting as the armed services of a nation is a different matter. Assaulting the military forces of another nation is potentially an act of war. And Brazil doesn't recognize Krakoa as a nation, so they aren't required let anyone go there. And even if they were, so? Military force is not proportionate response to a nation not letting people travel. We only have a couple sentences to work with, so we don't know what Brazil is like for mutants. Given that the X-men have made use of child soldiers for the entirety of their existence, and are STILL using them, that's hardly justification for attacking.

    If they had been smuggling people out clandestine like it would have been cool. But attacking the navy in broad daylight without any subtlety? Not even wearing a mask? Ludicrous. This is a fast way to make every nation hate them, and give them a legitimate pretense beyond just 'mutant bad'. As strong as the mutants are, a tiny nation like Krakoa can't survive without allies. If they want us to take Krakoa seriously as an actual country, they have to start acting like one.
    I'm not sure what X-books you've been reading but...
    > Xavier invited all mutants to Krakoa
    > Some countries prevent the local mutants to depart to Krakoa
    > X-Men go to country to check on mutant emigration
    > X-Men get attacked by local mutant haters and other enemies
    > X-Men win.

    nothing wrong detected.
    "Cable was right!"

  5. #275
    Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Not an excuse. She's been ruthless before, as someone trained by Wolverine is expected to be.
    Periodt!

    10 chars
    Emma Frost & Aero fan

  6. #276
    Mighty Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Rescuing people seeking asylum is fine and dandy when you're an advocacy group, but when you are acting as the armed services of a nation is a different matter. Assaulting the military forces of another nation is potentially an act of war. And Brazil doesn't recognize Krakoa as a nation, so they aren't required let anyone go there. And even if they were, so? Military force is not proportionate response to a nation not letting people travel. We only have a couple sentences to work with, so we don't know what Brazil is like for mutants. Given that the X-men have made use of child soldiers for the entirety of their existence, and are STILL using them, that's hardly justification for attacking.

    If they had been smuggling people out clandestine like it would have been cool. But attacking the navy in broad daylight without any subtlety? Not even wearing a mask? Ludicrous. This is a fast way to make every nation hate them, and give them a legitimate pretense beyond just 'mutant bad'. As strong as the mutants are, a tiny nation like Krakoa can't survive without allies. If they want us to take Krakoa seriously as an actual country, they have to start acting like one.
    I'm not sure how much all of this is very serious. It's not some high-quality comic, it's just for the fun… apparently.

  7. #277
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    … If they want us to take Krakoa seriously as an actual country, they have to start acting like one.
    But I don't take Krakoa seriously as an actual country, lol, so... I mean, it's fun & VERY imaginative, and I'm REALLY into it but... yeah.

    BTW, are the Mrds broadly recognized as K's military reps? 'Cause I thought they were supposed to be kinda on the QT, officially speaking. There's that whole pirate thing, and bein' an eXtension of the already-viewed-as-shady HF, besides.

    I think you're judging just a lil' too harshly, and that your complaints are just a tad OTT. For me, that is, but YMMV.

    Also, if the Krakoans were to get any actual flack over it, I'm sure they could spin the whole incident in their favor if necessary. They have the truth on their side, after all. And have the XM ever forced any minors into service? 'Cause if so, I don't recall it.

  8. #278
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    … We only have a couple sentences to work with, so we don't know what Brazil is like for mutants. ...
    Which one of the SA countries was shown to be using monstrous beasts to guard a transit gate there, in order to deter any defectors, wasn't it them? If so, that doesn't seem eXactly hospitable to me, but more like hostile.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 12-19-2019 at 04:04 PM.

  9. #279
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Some bag...
    Posts
    2,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Just a man. Logan fell in love with Jean much before her married


    But he thirsted over her while she was married...

  10. #280
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Those nations are also violating international laws by not letting mutants enter the gates in places where they are recognized as Krakoan citizens. *Shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    They're rescuing refugees seeking asylum. So it could be argued they already have the moral high ground on their side, when it comes to optics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm not sure what X-books you've been reading but...
    > Xavier invited all mutants to Krakoa
    > Some countries prevent the local mutants to depart to Krakoa
    > X-Men go to country to check on mutant emigration
    > X-Men get attacked by local mutant haters and other enemies
    > X-Men win.

    nothing wrong detected.
    Nobody can simply declare that people with a specific genetic marker are members of their nation, and force other nations to go along with it. Most nations are only as part of trade deals to get Krakoa drugs. Brazil isn't. Krakoa doesn't have some innate right to go to any nation and haul out any mutants.

    The Marauders are ostensibly supposed to be removed from the government in order to create plausible deniability, but that goes out the window when one of their members, a sitting member of the tiny government body, is leading an attack on the Brazilian Navy in broad daylight.

  11. #281
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,422

    Default

    You keep arguing the legality of it as if that has anything to do with the moral implications of the situation or what the X-Men have ever stood for. X-Men trip over cracks in the sidewalk and topple anti-mutant governments, it really ain’t anything new and I wasn’t really expecting them to stop because of Krakoa. In fact, this gives them more of an incentive. They aren’t going to put their “legitimacy” above the safety of mutants (especially ones unfairly jailed and/or still being hunted down).

  12. #282
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    … one of their members, a sitting member of the tiny government body, is leading an attack on the Brazilian Navy in broad daylight.
    Is Storm bein' on the QC public knowledge? Seems like it would be called Quiet for a reason.

  13. #283
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Intervening in what could easily be viewed as a humanitarian crisis-cum-rights violation... the AUDACITY! Quick, call the UN... oh, wait.

  14. #284
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    913

    Default

    We know almost nothing about the situation in Brazil. And when it comes to International Law, it barely matters. It really is that simple. And since when did they topple whole governments for being anti-mutant?

    If Storm isn't publicly on the Government of Krakoa, does the public even know what the government of Krakoa is? How does a nation have a secret government? Or at least without having a legit facing front first?

    They are saying to the international community, that if you are not treating mutants up to their standards, they will attack you with their military. Its the kind of reasoning that makes the crazy racists look like they were right on the money.

    There's a historical comparison I really, really, REALLY don't want to bring up, but its on point.

  15. #285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

    They are saying to the international community, that if you are not treating mutants up to their standards, they will attack you with their military. Its the kind of reasoning that makes the crazy racists look like they were right on the money.

    There's a historical comparison I really, really, REALLY don't want to bring up, but its on point.
    We have to remember that mutants are being enslaved and murdered. Vaccinated so they can be permanently ended. So when Charles invited all mutants, it is for their safety, not simply to steal citizens from other nations.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •