Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES issue #2 spoiler discussion

This issue was, I won't lie, pretty overwhelming in terms of what was being thrown at us. This issue really gives you your money's worth in terms of lore and worldbuilding.

But it's nice that we'll be getting the info we need via Jon about to stay behind and take the orientation (I'm guessing that's the flashback issue coming up), and a more managbel sizes with Cosmic Boy splitting up the team into smaller more groups.

Hands down favorite part were the last two pages. I was genuinely scared that Bendis may have pulled away from Jon's--fairly light--mischievous moments, so I was very please with just flat out sneaking off to get Damian. "As forgiveness rather than permission".

Also for all those wondering, Jon can in fact time travel from the future to the past whenever he likes to visit.

So we've got three stories going on 1) Cos/Jo's team going to Rimbor to talk to Jo's dad. 2) Saturn Girl's team going to Planet Gotham 3) Jon staying behind for orientation, but also sneaking Damian to the future. I dig this set up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I thought it was cluttered and I guess that was the point Jon kind of made a comment about saying figure out who to hit. IDK just too many characters on 1 page for me and none of them are really all that distinguishable from eachother.

And again still questioning the point of Bendis's change for Jon... That aside I'll give this about 2 more issues to see if I can get into it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I thought it was cluttered and I guess that was the point Jon kind of made a comment about saying figure out who to hit.
    Yeah, that seemed to be very intentional.

Funny enough, I'm ready for Jon get get to that orientation haha. But I'm really glad that Bendis doesn't just regulate Jon to "readers point of view" and that's it. Him blowing of orientation to go sneak his friend into the future immediately denotes a level of autonomy that I like and need from a POV character.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Always Rakzo

I have never been a Legion fan... and Bendis does very little to make me one. In fact, he makes me less interested in them since the "Bendis talk" is getting insufferable with word balloons jumping from place to place and characters speaking in a way that makes them sound interchangeable.

I have always been a fan of Jon though and as such, Bendis still completely blows at writing him by making him sound pretty bland and boring.

It's a shame that Sook is wasted here because I would totally read a good book drawn by him. I just don't care about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I have never been a Legion fan... and Bendis does very little to make me one. In fact, he makes me less interested in them since the "Bendis talk" is getting insufferable with word balloons jumping from place to place and characters speaking in a way that makes them sound interchangeable.

I have always been a fan of Jon though and as such, Bendis still completely blows at writing him by making him sound pretty bland and boring.

It's a shame that Sook is wasted here because I would totally read a good book drawn by him. I just don't care about this one.
    That's because there's so much exposition and dialogue and so very little of it from Jon himself. Bendis' writing is the worst.

I really liked this issue. I happens to like the Bendis talk, because I feel that it's how people actually talk. A lot less formal than in most comics. And Ryan Sook on art kills it. Plus, all the little worldbuilding tidbits. I can't wait to see issue 3, even if I feel that bringing Damian to the future will blow in Jon's hands.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So, jon can use aquaman's trident. That has to be significant, right? He became aquaman for seconds. The coolest thing in the book. Bendis is starting to finally getting adult jon voice in a decent way. I loved that he basically skips the orientation and time travels to get damian to go to planet Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I really liked this issue. I happens to like the Bendis talk, because I feel that it's how people actually talk. A lot less formal than in most comics. And Ryan Sook on art kills it. Plus, all the little worldbuilding tidbits. I can't wait to see issue 3, even if I feel that bringing Damian to the future will blow in Jon's hands.
    I never get the hate “Bendis talk” gets. I absolutely love it. It feels real to me. It’s goofy at times but I enjoy that. These have been 2 strong issues and I knew very little about the Legion going in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I never get the hate “Bendis talk” gets. I absolutely love it. It feels real to me. It’s goofy at times but I enjoy that. These have been 2 strong issues and I knew very little about the Legion going in.
    It's not that people hate his "Bendis Speak" but they hate it when he makes almost any character who shouldn't talk like that speak like a 12 year old.

I don't think Damian will be pleased if he finds out what Jon said about Gotham before he went to pick him up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Jon wasn't exactly wrong in that assessment, everybody sees current Gotham that way. I don't doubt even its heroes see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think Damian will be pleased if he finds out what Jon said about Gotham before he went to pick him up.
    Considering the means that Damian is willing to use in his war on crime, I'm actually sure he'd agree.

However, I foresee some dramatic reveal for him in the future. Like, he's hated on Planet Gotham or something of the likes.

All-New Member

So, in the one scene President Brande is talking to Rose and Superboy is mentioned....Brande says, "Superboy? Sone of Superman, Superboy? Or the original Superman when he was a child?" Given the conclusion of Doomsday Clock and the fact that Superman as Superboy is apparently back in continuity, what do you think this means for Legion history?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Considering the means that Damian is willing to use in his war on crime, I'm actually sure he'd agree.

However, I foresee some dramatic reveal for him in the future. Like, he's hated on Planet Gotham or something of the likes.
    Yeah, I'm also expecting some sort of twist re: Planet Gotham. It should be fun.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I heard there was a reference to Clark years as Superboy, is this true?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark