Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post [SPOILERS] Wonder Woman #83 Discussion

So it starts with the fight last left on in Wonder Woman #82, the one where Maggie somehow manages to hold Cheetah off in a sword fight for longer than 3 seconds. I didn't get it when reading #82, and I don't get it here in #83. I honestly cannot stand this character, and Orlando's writing is not any better. I can't believe people were anticipating him over Wilson, I think they're both writing/written mediocre Wonder Woman books.

Cheetah's entire motivation is just some really weak MCU Thanos "I'm the good guy doing you a favor" and feels like it was made just to half-ass the plot forward.

Not to mention, with Doomsday Clock ending, and Snyder's Justice League, every book (not just Wonder Woman) is so out of sync with what's happening, DC did not plan any of this correctly. I'm pretty sure Supergirl is still referencing Event Leviathan, lol... The Doom symbol is in the sky and Cheetah's here fighting Wonder Woman, but she's captured by Perpetua in Justice League.

This past year and a half for Wonder Woman's solo book has been really weak writing with terrible art, it's so unfair. It's a little sad that Diana is at her best in every book other than her own solo. I don't even know why I've stuck around for so long, she's so much better in every other book she's in or pops up in. I said it during the previews thread, but maybe they should replace Wonder Woman now, so that Diana can be saved for a while from poor creative teams and can come back strong in 2020+.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 12-18-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    So it starts with the fight last left on in Wonder Woman #82, the one where Maggie somehow manages to hold Cheetah off in a sword fight for longer than 3 seconds. I didn't get it when reading #82, and I don't get it here in #83. I honestly cannot stand this character, and Orlando's writing is not any better. I can't believe people were anticipating him over Wilson, I think they're both writing/written mediocre Wonder Woman books.

Cheetah's entire motivation is just some really weak MCU Thanos "I'm the good guy doing you a favor" and feels like it was made just to half-ass the plot forward.

Not to mention, with Doomsday Clock ending, and Snyder's Justice League, every book (not just Wonder Woman) is so out of sync with what's happening, DC did not plan any of this correctly. I'm pretty sure Supergirl is still referencing Event Leviathan, lol... The Doom symbol is in the sky and Cheetah's here fighting Wonder Woman, but she's captured by Perpetua in Justice League.

This past year and a half for Wonder Woman's solo book has felt like really weak writing and terrible art, it's so unfair. It's a little sad that Diana is at her best in every book other than her own solo. I don't even know why I've stuck around for so long, she's so much better in every other book she's in or pops up in. I said it during the previews thread, but maybe they should replace Wonder Woman now, so that Diana can be saved for a while from poor creative teams and can come back strong in 2020+.
    Weak writing has been around very often this last decade. Diana is not much better in other books. Most of the time, she is just there doing nothing important. Only JLD is an exception. If you compare gww one year run. With the couple of issues Orlando has writen. You will see he has done a much better job than her. But first, Orlando has to finish what gww started before he can move on to new stories. It was gww who made Cheetah a weak and generic cat lady villain. Orlando has already given her and Diana a better portrayal than gww in a whole year.

Astonishing Member

This whole issue feels very contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Weak writing has been around very often this last decade. Diana is not much better in other books. Most of the time, she is just there doing nothing important. Only JLD is an exception. If you compare gww one year run. With the couple of issues Orlando has writen. You will see he has done a much better job than her. But first, Orlando has to finish what gww started before he can move on to new stories. It was gww who made Cheetah a weak and generic cat lady villain. Orlando has already given her and Diana a better portrayal than gww in a whole year.
    Writing Diana better than Wilson by a small margin isn't saying much, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This whole issue feels very contrived.
    I can appreciate this criticism. Honor Guest’s appearance and motives seemed to come out of nowhere. Who is she? I’ll google, I suppose.

But I’m still enjoying Orlando’s characterization of Diana and the fast-paced action. The issue would have benefitted from grittier artwork.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Another great issue from Orlando! I loved how he had Diana use the Invisible Jet as a weapon against Cheetah. He helped prove why the Jet is still essential even though Diana can fly now. I also liked the unexpected appearance of the Silencer. Orlando is really keep us on our toes as to who will show up in this book. Hera's new look is interesting especially with the star-field design. I wonder if that ties into Donna Troy at all?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Another great issue from Orlando! I loved how he had Diana use the Invisible Jet as a weapon against Cheetah. He helped prove why the Jet is still essential even though Diana can fly now. I also liked the unexpected appearance of the Silencer. Orlando is really keep us on our toes as to who will show up in this book. Hera's new look is interesting especially with the star-field design. I wonder if that ties into Donna Troy at all?
    Some people were saying her new design was kinda Kirby-ish. I can kinda see it. But it's weird to detract so far away from the Greek stuff.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Some people were saying her new design was kinda Kirby-ish. I can kinda see it. But it's weird to detract so far away from the Greek stuff.
    I prefer it or at the very least for the gods to multiple forms and fashions. I'm a bit tired of the toga, unless a skilled artist updates it in an interesting way.

Sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I prefer it or at the very least for the gods to multiple forms and fashions. I'm a bit tired of the toga, unless a skilled artist updates it in an interesting way.
    Yeah, I think the toga designs could be re-fashioned while still being togas. I just think this betrays the Greek mythology too much in favor for a design that fits cosmic characters instead.

So Orlando is long term? I had to give up on Wilson's run so I was waiting on a new writer. I liked the few issues Orlando did in the past so I'll give it a chance. I hope he's good, I've been extremely disappointed in WW since Rucka left. I mean I've actually not read WW more than I have read WW between Robinson and Wilson.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    So Orlando is long term? I had to give up on Wilson's run so I was waiting on a new writer. I liked the few issues Orlando did in the past so I'll give it a chance. I hope he's good, I've been extremely disappointed in WW since Rucka left. I mean I've actually not read WW more than I have read WW between Robinson and Wilson.

I read a comment from Orlando the other day where he mentioned his "first 12 issues" so that leads me to believe he's on this book for an extended period of time.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I've stopped collecting the WONDER WOMAN comic book because I've grown weary of the sub-par art and the mediocre storytelling, not to mention what I see as some problematic sociopolitical undertones of a book that should be giving readers the opposite of upholding the status quo. Though, to be fair, GWW did try to wrestle with those built-in problematics, and JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK is really serving up some of the best Wonder Woman stories of the last couple of years at least. Truth is, I've never gotten over the nobodaddy/Zeus is your father patriarchal yuckiness (and I never will) that was offered up because DC wants WW to be "safe" for the kind of guys who are intimidated by feminist praxis.

In any event, I'm pretty much checked out until HISTORIA because Kelly Sue Deconnick's intersectional feminist approach to the medium is phenomenal (her B*TCH PLANET is a testament to that) and Phil Jimenez is a BRILLIANT artist.

But the main book? Hard pass.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 12-22-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I am not too familiar with the writer, but I enjoyed this issue.
    I actually liked the element of tension and suspense that the WW/Cheetah/Silencer scenario created. I also loved the simple-yet-potent motives that Silencer had to get involved in the scuffle between Diana and Barbara. I had never heard of Silencer before, but I am always happy to see more characters of color in comicsn AND I am always happy to see Diana facing off with non-myth-based foes. Don't get me wrong: I adore Greek myth and Diana's connection to those, but I could definitely use more non-mythological villains for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I've stopped collecting the WONDER WOMAN comic book because I've grown weary of the sub-par art and the mediocre storytelling...
    I think you would enjoy the art in the current issue. I feel that it was beautiful, fluid, and overall quite solid.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.