Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

I'll be the first to admit that I really haven't been trying to make sense of DDC and/or 5G. so this will be a dumb question. How are people (apparently) arguing about whether Superman was the first superhero? Is it now the official history that Superman came to earth, and only after that did characters like Hawkman, Jason Blood, etc. (to say nothing about the Phantom Stranger!) come into being, retroactively? Or is this not what people mean at all about who was the first superhero? If not, then just what do people mean when they make that argument? I ask because I'm really not interested in it strongly enough to go back and read all the comments. Again, sorry for the dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I really haven't been trying to make sense of DDC and/or 5G. so this will be a dumb question. How are people (apparently) arguing about whether Superman was the first superhero? Is it now the official history that Superman came to earth, and only after that did characters like Hawkman, Jason Blood, etc. (to say nothing about the Phantom Stranger!) come into being, retroactively? Or is this not what people mean at all about who was the first superhero? If not, then just what do people mean when they make that argument? I ask because I'm really not interested in it strongly enough to go back and read all the comments. Again, sorry for the dumb question.
    In the New 52 Superman was the first public superhero. People with powers obviously existed on Earth before him but humanity was largely unaware of their existence. Supes was the guy to end the masquerade as it were and make the public aware that aliens and metahumans and magic all existed. DDC does away with that by establishing that the JSA predates Superman as the first public superheroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In the New 52 Superman was the first public superhero. People with powers obviously existed on Earth before him but humanity was largely unaware of their existence. Supes was the guy to end the masquerade as it were and make the public aware that aliens and metahumans and magic all existed. DDC does away with that by establishing that the JSA predates Superman as the first public superheroes.
    Thanks! I like the DDC version better, especially since it establishes Dr. Fate as having an important role in the DCU.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Thanks! I like the DDC version better, especially since it establishes Dr. Fate as having an important role in the DCU.
    Actually, superman is still the first hero of new52 world as well as many others Including the original goldenage earth.