Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I'm thrilled with the Doomsday Clock ending. Bendis' run on Superman? Started okay, heading into the usual destructo-fest he always rights. Secret ID? Gone with no built-in way to undo it. Jon? Royally screwed up by aging up. LSH? Sigh. Clark and Lois thinking a deep space trip with Jor-El was a good idea? Given his villainy since his return, what the heck?

The man has no apparent respect for the established characters he writes.

I’ve always said, if Clark wanted to give up his civilian life, he should of faked his death or something. By coming out, all he’s doing is making his problem, everyone else’s problem. Just putting his own catharsis over everyone else’s wellbeing and the “but everyone knows he’s pals with Lois and Jimmy” is flimsy at best. Bendis’s Clark is one of the dumbest and least likable incarnations of the character I’ve ever read.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    spoilers:
    The Kents are alive again. Does this mean that Clark put them in danger by revealing his identity?
    end of spoilers
    Oh, you are right. They'll be probably dead again soon, then. 🙃

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I’ve always said, if Clark wanted to give up his civilian life, he should of faked his death or something. By coming out, all he’s doing is making his problem, everyone else’s problem. Just putting his own catharsis over everyone else’s wellbeing and the “but everyone knows he’s pals with Lois and Jimmy” is flimsy at best. Bendis’s Clark is one of the dumbest and least likable incarnations of the character I’ve ever read.
    Well, Everyone does. Everyone he knows gets into trouble regardless of clark kent lieing.Ma and pa are smack dab in the middle of smallville the wierdest most out there small towns. They are taking in supernatural strays like aliens and meta kids. They constantly get stuck in wierd steven Spielberg-esque stories.
    Honestly,id doesn't work anymore. Until they can actually make it work again and have it be fun and funny. I think it's better it is gone. It's a nice change of pace.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    oh my god

oh my god it's so dumb

Literally no joke about Doomsday Clock over the last 3 years about it ending with Superman asking Doctor Manhattan "but what about...hope?" and Manhattan flipping out because he'd never considered this remotely anticipated how genuinely twee and dumb it was gonna get. And bringing him back as public Superboy and bringing back the Kents and making him like the 186th superhero or whatever again because Geoff hates me personally I guess, and conflating the lovely idea of 'Superman will live forever' with 'everything about and around Superman will be exactly the same forever and ever because corporate event comics will make sure of it, that is in fact not only beautiful but the ultimate idealistic aspiration of humanity' - an indescribably, infinitely more cynical proposition than anything in Watchmen itself - and Lois 'good people on both sides' Lane right after Superman leads all the superheroes in saving Donald Trump from an angry brown man, and good lord, 'Clark', and...and...

When I say the Superman who just smiles & salutes the flag can easily be at least as wretched as the dude in the movies, this comic is what I mean. I do not believe I have ever read, or will ever read, a comic that leaves me as fundamentally exhausted by the genre and its future prospects as this.
    This. Like, 10'000 times.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

there are two worlds where superman is the first hero. Right? Superman will continue to exist because corporates want him too,not because people buy into him. Oh, i get it! People are just idiots for buying into it. My bad. As for the brown man, his race is inconsequential anger and hate leading to extremism is not exceptable, no matter which side you take.
    As for manhattan's flip,what were you expecting?Clark kent instead of being self-righteous, and being "i know what's best. I can do everything by myself. It's my way or the high way" asks for help. He is an idiot, failing miserably. It's human instinct to help an idiot who is struggling with something, when you see him. It's altruism . Manhattan's deciding to help the idiot proves it and he still has the human instinct .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-18-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

spoilers:
    ALL THE OLD UNIVERSES ARE BACK, BITCHES! WHAT! WHAT!
    end of spoilers

I loved this ending. The only major conflict I see with the main continuity is the Legion thing. Which makes me wonder if they will acknowledge this as canon. Also, supposedly, the old school JSA is back complete with spoilers:
    a certain Supergirl clone.
    end of spoilers
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    spoilers:
    ALL THE OLD UNIVERSES ARE BACK, BITCHES! WHAT! WHAT!
    end of spoilers

I loved this ending. The only major conflict I see with the main continuity is the Legion thing. Which makes me wonder if they will acknowledge this as canon. Also, supposedly, the old school JSA is back complete with spoilers:
    a certain Supergirl clone.
    end of spoilers
    I am glad all the supermen are back. He is still the first story of the metaverse . Most of the earths have its own legion. So, precrisis legion exists for its earth.
    This legion doesn't remember clark and vice versa until doomsday clock event. So, it's natural they don't remember him when clark and jon met them.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-19-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Oh yeah.... I forgot about all that. For a moment there I had forgotten Bendis was writing Superman and doing his own weird thing.
    This x 1000.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This in a nutshell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am glad all the supermen are back. He is still the first story of the metaverse . Most of the earths have its own legion. So, precrisis legion exists for its earth.
    This legion doesn't remember clark and vice versa until doomsday clock event. So, it's natural they don't remember him when clark and jon met them.
    The supermen were always there. The question is will we ever actually get to see them on a regular basis. Or is this another Kingdom where we next see Earth 1985 or classic Earth 2 as shock and awe cannon fodder in the next Crisis?

Astonishing Member

If Geoff Johns had been forbidden from using the world "hope" in his scripts, Doomsday Clock would have lasted three months maximum.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    If Geoff Johns had been forbidden from using the world "hope" in his scripts, Doomsday Clock would have lasted three months maximum.
    That can be said about batman and how many times the word "fear" pops up. What makes "hope" forbidden and "fear" not? Hyperbole doesn't make for facts. "Hope" word was used much only for the last issue as the crescendo. Before that nothing. You can hate the story. But, it does what it sets out to do. And superman didn't deliever a speech which i was dreading. It did it without the cheesy speech. Man of action stuck to action. A fool in need of help.in turn, Dr. Manhattan was turned to cheese "hope is the northstar of the universe".

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The supermen were always there. The question is will we ever actually get to see them on a regular basis. Or is this another Kingdom where we next see Earth 1985 or classic Earth 2 as shock and awe cannon fodder in the next Crisis?
    I believe we will, with 5G thing.it specifically mentioned earth 1985 as yet unexplored. That's the silverage earth.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am glad all the supermen are back.
    Do they explicitly include New52 Superman in that? Do they explictly exclude him? Is there a picture of one with the right look where it could be him?