Thread: The 2099 comics

Mighty Member

Default The 2099 comics

Since its a mini spider-man Event.How are the 2099 titles .Or can you get the Alpha and Omega and get the story

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Since its a mini spider-man Event.How are the 2099 titles .Or can you get the Alpha and Omega and get the story
    The individual books like Ghost Rider, Doom, Venom, Fantastic Four, (I didn't read Conan or Punisher as my shop didn't carry it for some reason) are completely fine in a vacuum. Ironically as a result of having almost nothing to do with the event.

The main title being ASM, Spider-man 2099 as well as Alpha and Omega are garbage and would do better as kindling than be a book on your shelf. The one-shots are fine and offer a look at this new continuity. However your mileage will vary because in at least Doom's case it's nowhere near the original book. The important titles like ASM are utterly confusing and with information from that and even the one-shots makes it next to impossible to figure out what's going on. In my rant over in another thread I noted we have three separate origins with no clear catalyst, on top of the big bad of the story not even being who it's said to be and they don't even face him in it.

You can honestly read Alpha and Omega and be just as confused as everybody else. I wouldn't recommend it and if you're looking for 2099 content I more than recommend the older books seeing as you can easily find them in trade on Amazon.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Default My thoughts of 2099

So i just got and finished the omega 2099,I didn't understand any of it. Can any of you explain this to me

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So i just got and finished the omega 2099,I didn't understand any of it. Can any of you explain this to me
    The Alpha and Spider-Man 2099 one-shots would have helped, but not that much. To make a long story short, an attempted assassination of Doctor Doom in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man resulted in Doom waging war on the entire world. In the wake of the devastation, Doom somehow wiped out all the superheroes (who might have been in the middle of yet another Civil War), not just killing them, but erasing humanity's memories of them and the era in which they existed and were prevalent. From there, he took over the world, with the mega-corporations of 2099 acting largely as his proxies, and exploited a captive Uatu's visions (he actually had Uatu trapped in a machine that kept his eyes open) to further his control over said world. However, the one-shots --- Conan 2099, Doom 2099, Fantastic Four 2099, Ghost Rider 2099, Punisher 2099, Spider-Man 2099, and Venom 2099 --- set in the new 2099 showed new versions of the long-vanquished heroes coming forth to ultimately challenge Doom's reign, with Spider-Man 2099 as the harbinger of that coming new era of heroes. All that being said, it could have been executed much better.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Far as I could understand, Doom 2099 basically pulled a Doctor Manhattan on 2099 and rebooted it though for his own selfish gain rather than just pure curiosity. This resulted in a new 2099 taking the place of the one that we knew. However even if Doom could change how 2099 shaped up to be, he couldn’t prevent the new age of heroes to happen, Miguel O’Hara was just the final piece of the puzzle to restart it.

Astonishing Member

This story actually have no sense at all. I mean, wasn't Uatu supposed to be dead because of Nick Fury I in the Original Sin's arc? And with Dr Doom "stopped", then wasn't the new 2099 future erased from being reality?

One more thing, what's with the Miguel O'Hara who appears in the beach and finds himself in front of Tempest and their son? Is he the Miguel O'Hara who traveled back in time to warm Spidey and disappeared when Doom launched his attack? He's trapped in the present/main continuity... Again? Seriously, time travels are a continuous headache! And how about his own timeline? It was restored or what?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    This story actually have no sense at all. I mean, wasn't Uatu supposed to be dead because of Nick Fury I in the Original Sin's arc? And with Dr Doom "stopped", then wasn't the new 2099 future erased from being reality?

One more thing, what's with the Miguel O'Hara who appears in the beach and finds himself in front of Tempest and their son? Is he the Miguel O'Hara who traveled back in time to warm Spidey and disappeared when Doom launched his attack? He's trapped in the present/main continuity... Again? Seriously, time travels are a continuous headache! And how about his own timeline? It was restored or what?
    Yeah, those are all pretty good questions with no answers forthcoming, but I'm at least glad the original Miguel O'Hara got some semblance of a happy ending with Tempest and their son Gabriel.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, those are all pretty good questions with no answers forthcoming, but I'm at least glad the original Miguel O'Hara got some semblance of a happy ending with Tempest and their son Gabriel.
    Plus when you add that to the fact that he and the old Miguel from 2099 omega are the same person, that means that he remained in 2019 this time and was able to live a long and happy life with Tempest and be a better father for his son than his had been for him.

Basically, what I do is I pretend like this whole 2099 story didn't happen and we only read a random story arc in Amazing Spider-Man about international espionage, Silver Sable, Dr. Doom, and Teresa Parker. And that's pretty much it for me. Miguel O'Hara never showed up to do nothing, classic 2099 is still intact and we didn't have a half-hearted reboot of something that didn't need rebooting.

BANNED

I think this was necesary after the ending of the last spiderman 2099 series it was very sad that Miguel could never see his son again and 2099 was rebooted like 3 o 4 times in the last years but at least this time they are adressing that this is a new 2099 world and there is complete creative freedom.

Spencer is just the opossite to Slott, is doing things necesary ( way to give a "permanent" ending to Kraven and eliminate every Story about him after Kraven last hunt, fix the continuity problems with the 2099 , fix the status with Felicia and Mary Jane) but uninteresting. None of his stories is going to be listed as one of the most important spiderman sagas. That isnt a bad thing.
    Last edited by hulkling; 12-20-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yeah I didn’t understand it, either. In a flashback Miguel had in an earlier ASM issue, I thought Doom was the one who sent him back in time to prevent all of this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Yeah I didn’t understand it, either. In a flashback Miguel had in an earlier ASM issue, I thought Doom was the one who sent him back in time to prevent all of this?
    He send him back and failed, all his temporal line was erased and the new one of the one shots raised.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused.