Page 109 of 136 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2028

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    just challenging myself here to see if this actually works....

Golden-Age DC Watchmen (or, an alternate history of the post-WWII JSA), set in the 60s/70s SCI-FI VERSION

THE ATOM (Dr. Manhattan) in the years since WWII, Al Pratt found work as an assistant at nuclear testing facility. one day in 1955, his superior sent him back to retrieve an item left behind in the test chamber. Pratt became locked inside during the test sequence and well, you know the rest.... he rematerializes at the facility several months later, a golden glowing "superman" for the atomic age, with the power of a god. he seems to be on the right side of things for the moment, but has shown some darker tendencies here and there, prompting the formation of this team to essentially keep him as grounded and engaged in the "real world" as they can manage. or at least that's what the rest of them have been told...

BLACK CANARY (Silk Spectre) bearing in mind the attitudes of the time period, Dinah will initially be recruited to the team in hopes that she'll seduce Pratt and help "control" him. being the person she is, she rejects the idea in favour of forming a closer working relationship and attempting to understand Pratt on his "own" terms

FLASH (Nite Owl) returning to his work in chemical research after the war, Jay Garrick has had a relatively satisfying, if modest career for the past couple of decades. when he's invited to join this new iteration of the team, he decides to reduce his work hours in order to accept the invite. he figures doing some good in the world outside of wartime can't hurt, and if anything, the team is now looking to help prevent another war - this time, of the nuclear persuasion - between Cold War rivals the U.S.A. and the U.S.S.R.

SANDMAN (Rorschach) the O.G. fedora/trenchcoat mystery man, Wesley Dodds, is beginning to slowly lose his grip on reality, being plagued by endless dreams of an other-worldly existence... is he really dreaming? or is his mind beginning to fracture? one thing is for sure - he has definitely embraced a more violent approach toward adversaries, leaving them for dead more often than not. his colleagues are concerned of course, but can they really do anything to prevent him from going further down this path of no return? one possibility he has yet to consider, is that some of his dreams are, in fact, premonitions. he wakes from a dream in which his former colleague Wildcat has been murdered in cold blood. he begins to pester another former colleague, Jay Garrick, with his theories and ideas. Garrick initially finds it a bit ridiculous, until he does a bit of his own footwork and begins to see the dots connecting for himself....

WILDCAT (Comedian) retired boxer and former WWII mystery man Ted Grant, has been getting bored and jaded with life as he approaches middle age. he never really stopped beating on thugs and street crooks, however, his lack of a costumed identity post-WWII has left him on the wrong side of the law in some cases. when Ted gets the call to join, he jumps in without hesitation. After all, beating/killing crooks is a lot more satisfying when the cops and the public are cheering for you. he doesn't really give a **** about the whole "atomic" situation, he's just here to crack skulls. after a while, he starts to pick up on some inconsistencies in the team's plans regarding Pratt, causing him to have some suspicions about the team's founder and benefactor....

STARMAN (Ozymandias) having capitalized on his "cosmic rod," inventor, entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Knight has built himself an empire, providing an alternate source of renewable energy to the entire planet in the process. while he had hoped this would usher in an age of peace, the two world military "superpowers" instead began doing their own research, harnessing and weaponizing Knight's invention in the process. disillusioned by this turn of events, he is becoming drastically concerned by growing Cold War tensions. Knight uses his considerable resources to build and fund this new iteration of the team. he begins working "with" them, while secretly enacting a scheme of his own: his recent private research has revealed to him that with a slight modification, his "cosmic rod" is now capable of changing the state of sub-atomic particles. this means he can now use it to do things like generating tachyons, and triggering random nuclear reactions remotely in any location he chooses. along with psychological tactics, he'll use these new techniques/applications of the rod to either frame Pratt for turning against humanity, or, push him to abandon earth altogether. he firmly believes that an existential threat to the entire planet, is the only remaining key to unity and world peace. he just needs to tie up a few loose ends among his teammates first... he doesn't want to hurt them, but he'll do what he must, if they force his hand. will they figure out what he's really up to in time to stop it? or is the end of the Atomic Age upon us?

so yeah, I guess you really can go both ways with it. coolio.
    ^^^Slow clap, Aarkus, that’s fun world building!

hmm, I'll take a stab at that... not just space-based, but also set in the far future

The Last-Existing Galactic-Interplanetary Organization of Nomads, aka L.E.G.I.O.N.

GARTH (Black Lightning): team leader and electrical powerhouse. no more code names for this guy after what happened to his former allies and teammates

STARMAN - Thom Kallor (Geo Force): aloof gravity manipulator, grief-stricken over the loss of his love (Dreamer)

ELEMENT MAN (Metamporpho): he even takes Rex's "descriptor" as his own code-name, to re-inforce the connection, choosing to honour the past rather than jettison it

SHADOW LADY (Katana): no longer a mere "lass," she has become a formidable warrior in her own right, learning to manifest solid constructs of weapons with her shadow powers (swords being her preference); and how to trap people in the shadow dimension long enough for them to perish, at which point she can communicate with their trapped, disembodied souls

SENSOR (Halo): dropping gender from her codename altogether, the former Princess has expanded her illusory abilities to affect every known sense of any living species. holograms and blinding "flashes" are child's play to her at this point, and she can produce sensory deceptions so intense as to cause paralysis (likely via fear) in her targets

IMRA (Looker): following her husband's choice to adopt his given name after the slaughter of their former allies and teammates, Imra decides to follow suit, remaining the ever-present resident telepath

BRAINIAC (Technocrat): the ever-steady genius-inventor, 12th level intellect, as cool and detached as her ever was. maybe even more so

TERROR WOLF (Wylde): now fully-feral in form, the former Timberwolf was exposed to mutagenic levels of radiation when his former team-mate, Wildfire, exploded right next to him. he still retains his intelligence, tho he can now suppress it in favour of "going berserk", as he calls it

WITCH (Sebastian Faust): another one to simplify her name, the former "White" Witch now wields unparalleled levels of mystical skill and might, on par with a distinguished competitors so-called "master of mystic arts"

they would live on a Brainiac-designed ship with impossible physics (i.e. much larger internally than it's outside structure suggests), capable of generating spontaneous wormholes to any known point in spacetime; containing individual teleportation units, living quarters, training rooms and other such amenities/requirements. it's shaped essentially like an OG-Brainiac skull-ship, minus the tentacles, coincidentally bearing another resemblance to the headquarters of a famous "Legion" from the 20th Century
    This reminds me a lot of the 5YL Legion, more like.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Slow clap, Aarkus, that’s fun world building!
    thanks, that's the fun part for me with bothering to do this. cooking up fun teams is cool and all but give them enough of a story to justify their existence at least

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This reminds me a lot of the 5YL Legion, more like.
    oh neat, hadn't considered that

One of my favorite underrated/underused Marvel teams is the Texas-based Rangers. I've done a build of them before using DC characters, but I wanted to do a different one, this time where each member of the team is powered by some variation of magic. So, with that in mind, I give you DC's Mystic Rangers:

Isis (Texas Twister) - Sure, she's supposedly dead in the current timeline, but we never saw a body and, with magic and channeling goddesses and whatnot, I highly doubt we don't see her again. Isis has control over the elements and, going back to her 70s TV show, is especially adept at controlling the wind. That gives her the Texas Twister spot.

Maya (Shooting Star) - Maya gets the nod because, much like Shooting Star, she's a normal person wielding a specialized range weapon, in this case her magical bow and arrow.

Firebrand (Firebird) - Another case where she's supposedly dead but no body was ever shown. I didn't realize Danette Reilly's powers were magical, but she got them in part via a mystic blast from Wotan. She gets Firebird's spot because, hey, fire.

Ya'Wara (Red Wolf) - Given powers by an Amazonian forest goddess, Ya'Wara is a magic-based hand-to-hand fighter with a psychic bond to her jaguar. This makes her a perfect fit for Red Wolf and his wolf pal Lobo.

Gentleman Ghost (Phantom Rider) - Went back and forth between Gentleman Jim Craddock and the Haunted Tank for this, but ultimately landed on Craddock. Obviously a spectral entity, Craddock's penchant for criminal behavior makes him just as problematic as the Phantom Rider wound up being, albeit in a different way.

Will Power (Living Lightning) - The son of Johnny Thunder and imbued with electromagnetic powers from Johnny's exposure to the Thunderbolt, Will Power is an ideal figure to step into Living Lightning's spot.

Tasmanian Devil (Armadillo) - Whether it's his 70s "man in suit" look, his 90s bulked up furball look, or his more recent sinewy ferocious look, Tas is the perfect magic-based beast-man to take the place of Armadillo.

Zauriel (51) - With 51 being a figure from another planet, I wanted his magical equivalent to be someone from another plane of reality. Etrigan came close but his binding to Jason Blood made him too Earth-based. Instead I went with Zauriel, a literal angel from Heaven.

And there you go! Pretty happy with the results and, much like the Rangers themselves, a pretty diverse line-up!
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 12-14-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    One of my favorite underrated/underused Marvel teams is the Texas-based Rangers. I've done a build of them before using DC characters, but I wanted to do a different one, this time where each member of the team is powered by some variation of magic. So, with that in mind, I give you DC's Mystic Rangers:

Isis (Texas Twister) - Sure, she's supposedly dead in the current timeline, but we never saw a body and, with magic and channeling goddesses and whatnot, I highly doubt we don't see her again. Isis has control over the elements and, going back to her 70s TV show, is especially adept at controlling the wind. That gives her the Texas Twister spot.

Maya (Shooting Star) - Maya gets the nod because, much like Shooting Star, she's a normal person wielding a specialized range weapon, in this case her magical bow and arrow.

Firebrand (Firebird) - Another case where she's supposedly dead but no body was ever shown. I didn't realize Danette Reilly's powers were magical, but she got them in part via a mystic blast from Wotan. She gets Firebird's spot because, hey, fire.

Ya'Wara (Red Wolf) - Given powers by an Amazonian forest goddess, Ya'Wara is a magic-based hand-to-hand fighter with a psychic bond to her jaguar. This makes her a perfect fit for Red Wolf and his wolf pal Lobo.

Gentleman Ghost (Phantom Rider) - Went back and forth between Gentleman Jim Craddock and the Haunted Tank for this, but ultimately landed on Craddock. Obviously a spectral entity, Craddock's penchant for criminal behavior makes him just as problematic as the Phantom Rider wound up being, albeit in a different way.

Will Power (Living Lightning) - The son of Johnny Thunder and imbued with electromagnetic powers from Johnny's exposure to the Thunderbolt, Will Power is an ideal figure to step into Living Lightning's spot.

Tasmanian Devil (Armadillo) - Whether it's his 70s "man in suit" look, his 90s bulked up furball look, or his more recent sinewy ferocious look, Tas is the perfect magic-based beast-man to take the place of Armadillo.

Zauriel (51) - With 51 being a figure from another planet, I wanted his magical equivalent to be someone from another plane of reality. Etrigan came close but his binding to Jason Blood made him too Earth-based. Instead I went with Zauriel, a literal angel from Heaven.

And there you go! Pretty happy with the results and, much like the Rangers themselves, a pretty diverse line-up!
    damn. I've always been a fan of Isis, Gentleman Ghost and Zauriel in particular... Will Power is a sweet character who I'm just now learning about. this is a sweet line up. I'd read it. nice one.

EDIT: oh yeah, Tax was also fun in the old JLI and Global Guardians books

Black Lightning (leader), The Signal, Jakeem Thunder, Power Girl Tanya Spears, Wallace West, Teen Lantern.

Jefferson: "We're the all new Outsiders. If some other group claims the name, let them sue. We've got work to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Black Lightning (leader), The Signal, Jakeem Thunder, Power Girl Tanya Spears, Wallace West, Teen Lantern.

Jefferson: "We're the all new Outsiders. If some other group claims the name, let them sue. We've got work to do."
    I like it but can we add Vixen?

I like it but can we add Vixen?
    make it so!
    Black Lightning, Signal, Jakeem Thunder, Power Girl Tanya, Wallace West, Teen Lantern, Vixen.

handling crime and rescue work proactively, no JLA clearance needed!
    also natural disaster assistance, creating irrigation ditches in impoverished farming areas, etc.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    A genderflipped version of The Defenders…:

ZATANNA (Dr. Strange)
    Zee is DC’s number one female magic user. She gathers and leads the team.

MAXIMA (Namor)
    Mera would be the more obvious choice, but Maxima is Royalty too, and her haughty demeanor more closely matches Namor. She considers Fairchild to be incredibly naïve, and a waste of good genetic material.

CAITLIN FAIRCHILD (The Hulk)
    Caitlin puts the She in Hulk. She’s as incredibly smart as she is strong, w. a friendly outgoing nature. That said, she can kick major ass when needed, and Maxima’s ‘Mean Girl’ routine isn’t flying w. her.

VOID (Silver Surfer)
    She’s here to be distant, enigmatic, and shiny. Her powers work on a cosmic level and she can get to places even Zee might not be able to reach.

THE SHINING KNIGHT (Valkyrie)
    There’s no way a Chivalrous Warrior like Sir Justin could refuse a request from a beautiful Sorceress aligned w. the forces of Good.

FLAMEBIRD (Nighthawk)
    Lot of similarities between N.H. and F.B. Both are cool, but fans don’t care. Both are good, but get no respect from their peers. And there are other versions of them running around that are better received.

CATMAN (Hellcat)
    Catman went from joke character to hot commodity as part of the Secret Six to M.I.A. now, so it’s time he made a comeback.
    Love your choices but I would have put Mera in just see her interact with the rest of the DCU without Aquaman also,love the Wildstorm choices too
    Last edited by red winter; 12-16-2023 at 07:44 AM.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Teen Titans of https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-91

In this twisted reality Superman married Lois Lane rather early in his career after she got blinded, and fathered Lisa Kent, aka Superlass. Superman later has an incident where he is exposed to a massive amount of both green and red K simultaneously. This leaves him terribly disfigured and crippled.... and he goes into hiding for some reason instead of telling the world what happened. Lisa grows up not knowing what happened to her father, though she later finds out he was actually making an effort to observe covertly.... and has been getting to reacquaint himself with Lois.

So how all does this affect the rest of Earth-91? This is where we jump in. The original Teen Titans was from before this issue came out so it logically makes sense to have a Teen Titans. But this is a near future(a little less than 20 years) of an older version of the main-U. what would an anachronistic future be like? We actually don't see much of Earth-91 beyond Lisa and her family, so we have very little info other than how Supergirl helped raise Lisa. So this is the old Titans(Robin(Dick Grayson), Aqualad(Garth), Kid Flash(Wally West), Donna Troy, Roy Harper) as the starting point. BUT, the OG Titans would be the starting point before jumping forward 15+ years. So with that in mind who would be about the same age AFTER jumping forwards? Um, well..... This is where the catastrophic anachronism comes in. The only good ideas I could find were from later things. But after a while I narrowed it down to a few ideas that at least had some connection to the original team(and avoided New Teen Titans as much as I could).

So first off is Lisa herself: Superlass, daughter of Superman!
    Robin(Ibn al Xu'ffasch) this is basically the Kingdom Come version of Damian Wayne, except.... not raised to be obnoxious. Smug jerk? yes, but less obnoxious. He actually gets that talking people into helping you is useful.
    Kid Flash, Iris West, daughter of Wally West.
    Nightstar, Mar'i Grayson, daughter of Dick Grayson. Note: unlike Kingdom Come, in this version Mar'i and Ibn are teens under 18.
    Darkstar, Robert Long, Donna Troy's son. In one universe he became Lord Chaos.... not this one.
    Equinox, son of Powergirl(post CoIE). Does Earth-91 even have a Powergirl? Yeah no. So here he's, well, Supergirl's son. Also the original Equinox was created via Atlantean magic, but maybe that gets to play out differently this time? At any rate a demi-Kryptonian that's part Atlantean might be fun.
    Red Hood, Lian Harper, daughter of Roy Harper and Cheshire.
    Black Canary, Olivia Queen, daughter of Green Arrow and Black Canary, had cybernetics for some reason in Kingdom come?

Aquagirl(Tula), daughter of Garth and Dolphin
    Cerdian, son of Garth and Dolphin
    Aqualad(Arthur jr), son of Aquaman and Mera
    Mareena, daughter of Aquaman and Mera

Yes, having 4 DIFFERENT Atlanteans feels excessive. So probably wouldn't have all four aqua kids as full time team members.

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Love your choices but I would have put Mera in just see her interact with the rest of the DCU without Aquaman also,love the Wildstorm choices too
    Oh yeah, Mera is also a pretty powerful magic user(Xebel Witch). It'd be interesting seeign what someone like Zatana thinks of that.

Finally catching up on all these posts!
    Between being holiday busy and the site being slow, I’m way behind.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Oh yeah, Mera is also a pretty powerful magic user(Xebel Witch). It'd be interesting seeign what someone like Zatana thinks of that.
    ^^^Oh wow, I’d like DC to actually explore this angle. Great idea, marhawkman!

Hmmm kinda debating the idea of trying to make a team pic for that last team I did... but some of the characters seem a bit impossible to find pics as teens :/

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm kinda debating the idea of trying to make a team pic for that last team I did... but some of the characters seem a bit impossible to find pics as teens :/
    ^^^That can be such a pain!
    It’s why I sometimes fudge and borrow pics and go “well this is what he/she might look like in my scenario”!