Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Default Anti-Magic in the Marvel Universe???

Reading Annihilation: Scourge got me to thinking. Everything has an opposite, whether you're talking about the Negative Zone, the Cancerverse, or forces of energy. Presumably that also means that just as magical energy exists, anti-magic energy should exist. Does anyone recall any examples of anti-magic being referenced in the MU, whether that was in energy form, or as an object or device with anti-magic properties?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

If you mean "beings or technology that can cause magic to fail", yes. Quite often, actually.

The first time I saw the idea was "Ludgate Rods" in 2099 Apocalypse.

Last time was in the Aaron run on Doctor Strange, with the Empirikul.

Mighty Member

The Cancerverse isn't really an opposite of anything. Where the Negative Zone is an anti-matter universe, Cancerverse is just an alternate reality of the positive universe where the embodiment of Death was killed as a result of the Many Angled Ones' invasion.

Maybe chaos magic?

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    The Cancerverse isn't really an opposite of anything. Where the Negative Zone is an anti-matter universe, Cancerverse is just an alternate reality of the positive universe where the embodiment of Death was killed as a result of the Many Angled Ones' invasion.
    I understand what you mean, but with Death gone by default it is made an opposite in that only Life remains. Twisted life, but life nonetheless.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    If you mean "beings or technology that can cause magic to fail", yes. Quite often, actually.

The first time I saw the idea was "Ludgate Rods" in 2099 Apocalypse.

Last time was in the Aaron run on Doctor Strange, with the Empirikul.
    Thanks, will have to research these. And yes I mean items, energy or forces that not only causes magic to fail as if by countermeasure, but cancels/negates/breaks down magic and wipes it out completely in the same sense that positive matter and antimatter annihilate one another if they come in contact. Basically I'm trying to find something or some force that makes even one of the most powerful magic wielders like Zom go, "Oh $#^%, run!!!" on sight.

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Thanks, will have to research these. And yes I mean items, energy or forces that not only causes magic to fail as if by countermeasure, but cancels/negates/breaks down magic and wipes it out completely in the same sense that positive matter and antimatter annihilate one another if they come in contact. Basically I'm trying to find something or some force that makes even one of the most powerful magic wielders like Zom go, "Oh $#^%, run!!!" on sight.
    Well, here's the 2099 scene:

Thanks! I wonder if the term "Ludgate rods" has anything to do with Dr. Druid, whose real name was Anthony Ludgate?

~James Baldwin

Hmmm, it looks like Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's Mangaverse alternate Earth counterpart was capable of nullifying magic and creating an Anti-Magic shield. Not sure if the Mangaverse is canon, but that's worth exploring. Could be just what I need.

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Thanks! I wonder if the term "Ludgate rods" has anything to do with Dr. Druid, whose real name was Anthony Ludgate?
    Possibly. The pages I posted were written by Warren Ellis, who also did Druid. In fact, he's the one who came up with the Ludgate name, IIRC.

Possibly. The pages I posted were written by Warren Ellis, who also did Druid. In fact, he's the one who came up with the Ludgate name, IIRC.
    Verrrry interesting. Until someone tells us differently, I'll go with that safe deduction. Ludgate is entirely too unique a name for it to be a random coincidence.

~James Baldwin

Let me guess... Warren Ellis?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Let me guess... Warren Ellis?
    Read the rest of the thread.

I'm sure some sort of anti-magic field or force field or whatever exists in comics... but honestly I find the notion somewhat lazy.

Not all magic is the same, so I'm not sure any one particular thing should be able to negate all magic. Chaos magic for example is very different from chi.

That said, again I'm sure it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm sure some sort of anti-magic field or force field or whatever exists in comics... but honestly I find the notion somewhat lazy.
    Magic itself is lazy. It requires zero technical explanation or even logic. Magic in the MU doesn't even require a guiding foundation, as is the case wherever magic exists in other literary fictional universes. When reality warping more often than not is synonymous with magic, you have a huge disconnect somewhere.

I'll grant that there are different forms of magic, but that seems to me to be consistent with the fact that there are various forms of scientifically grounded energy, too, from electromagnetic energy to dark force energy to even null energy and on and on.