Mighty Member

Default How long was a Kryptonian year?

Has it ever been stated at any time? Did people on Krypton have their own New Years celebration?

Extraordinary Member

Interesting. The closest I can think off hand was when in the movies Jor-El (Brando) told him something about the relative amount of hours in a day, but that's useless in determining a year, or really even the relative number of hours in a day, since it was unclear if he was just using a metaphor or really he was making an apples to apples comparison of how quickly Earth rotates on its axis vs how quickly Krypton does it. None of which has any remote bearing on a Kryptonian year. That said, I can't imagine that at some point it hasn't been brought up in a comic.

Retired

It depends how much stock you put in the pre-Crisis continuity. E. Nelson Bridwell did a lot of work to establish facts about Krypton, but as soon as the new regime took over the Superman office and Bridwell had passed away, they seem to have dumped all his work in the incinerator.

Pre-Crisis, Bridwell did establish the length of a year on Krypton. See the text page from KRYPTON CHRONICLES No. 3.

and to add to that...

Salient data:
    18 Kryptonian years equal 25 Earth years.

Lorax(o): a Kryptonian month of 73 (Kryptonian?) days. A K-year was 6 months, and the K-week was 6 days.

MATH TIME!!

365*25 = 9,125 Earth days in 18 K-years.

9125/18 = ~507 E-days in a K-year.

6*73 = 438 K-days in a K-year.

507*24 = 12,168 E-hours in a K-year.

12,168/438 = 27.8 E-hours in a K-day.

This is an approximation though. 18=25 is probably not exact.

Mighty Member

Thanks all !

I didn't know Birdwell had worked out a calendar like this. Cool, thanks for sharing, as always, Jim!

Well, it does give weight to what Bendis did with Jor-El and Jon. At eleven years old Jon wasn't fully grown, but he was a lot closer than a human at the same age. Definitely old enough for a summer road trip across space.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I just realized I forgot about leap years in the math I did earlier... time to redo all of it!

365.25*25 = 9,131.25 Earth days in 18 K-years.

9131.25/18 = ~507.3 E-days in a K-year.

6*73 = 438 K-days in a K-year.

507.3*24 = 12,175 E-hours in a K-year.

12,175/438 = ~27.8 E-hours in a K-day.

heh, didn't really change much. it goes from 27.78 to 27.79...