13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improve

5 38.46%
  • Ignore

8 61.54%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Star Wars Rise of Skywalker: Improve or Ignore

I have not seen rise of skywalker yet, seeing it on Saturday. The criticism of this film so far seems to be about fan service, messy plot and most importantly, trying to correct on the wrongs of last Jedi.

If You were JJ Abrams and his writers what would you have done going into Rise of Skywalker? Would you try to improve on the plot points of last Jedi, or ignore and retcon everything in last Jedi and come up with a total different plot points.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Easily Ignore. Not even a contest in my books.

There wasn't one character from this new trilogy (which I still have no idea what the hell its about) that interested me in the slightest.

Definitely not worth sacrificing an OT Character to tell their stories.

Ahsoka Tano, Cal Kestis, and the Mandalorian are far better characters.

This new trilogy compares to Joel Schumacher's Batman Movies...I like to think they never happened
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.

I don't think JJ Abrams could have improved on the plot points and I don't think things would have been better off ignoring them. I think what would have been better is let Rian Johnson craft his own sequel trilogy. The Last Jedi was not great, but I have a hard time blaming Johnson who is one of my favorite directors working today as opposed to a director whose only tools in his toolbox are nostalgia and puzzleboxing.

I think one should always try to improve rather than ignore.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

I'd have scraped this entire ST concept and tried to come up with something more interesting that actually progressed things.

Its better to improve than ignore. when you improve, you have a chance of making a bad situation more tolerable. when you ignore, you make people go wtf? or create an elephant in the room.

Critics now want to be bring JJ Abrams down for ignore, ironic as he was hired by Disney to improve, this even led to the exit of Colin T. Trevorrow, the original director for episode 9.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I have not seen rise of skywalker yet, seeing it on Saturday. The criticism of this film so far seems to be about fan service, messy plot and most importantly, trying to correct on the wrongs of last Jedi.

If You were JJ Abrams and his writers what would you have done going into Rise of Skywalker? Would you try to improve on the plot points of last Jedi, or ignore and retcon everything in last Jedi and come up with a total different plot points.
    Realistically I would have looked at where I was at and just made the best film and story I could from that slate. Kyle is the leader of the First Order and he's trying to build a whole new type of galactic order, Rey is the last Jedi the resistance has and only real threat to Kylo. The resistance was just inspired by Luke's last stand.

Probably wouldn't have brought back a major development like Palpatine.