Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Despero vs Overmind

Despero vs Overmind, standard Khazan defaults.

I have more familiarity with Over-Mind, a powerful alien psychic from Marvel's 616 universe. Before getting a power-up, he was an alien warlord who led the conquest of 100 worlds, won 1,000 fights, and repeatedly committed genocide. After nuking one especially large and heavily populated planet, the retaliatory force threatened to wipe out his people. The Over-Mind got his power by using a machine that allowed him to absorb the psychic power of his entire species, about a billion people.

When the Over-Mind came to Earth, he manhandled the Fantastic Four pretty casually. He easily shrugged off hits from the Thing and flame blasts from the Human Torch, then mind-controlled Mister Fantastic to turn against the team. He also used his mental powers to enhance his already superhuman strength to maybe Class 100 level. Things got so scary that Doctor Doom helped the heroes fight Over-Mind and Reed. Doom got in a good shot by redirecting the Over-Mind's attack upon himself, but was KO'd by the Over-Mind's next blast. Eventually the Stranger showed up and defeated the Over-Mind. This is the Stranger who has easily manhandled teams of heroes and literally stomped on the Silver Surfer. At a later point in time, Over-Mind conquered the Earth of the Squadron Supreme on his own. The Defenders helped the Squadron fight the Over-Mind, though at one point he was noping punches by both Hulk and Hyperion while trashing both teams. He also demonstrated some superhuman speed, powerful telekinesis, telepathy, a healing factor, and mindblasts.

Over-Mind speed feat:

Over-Mind durability feat:

Over-Mind zorching Doom:

Yeesh. Ignoring Hulk and Hyperion like that is straying dangerously close to Thanos tier durability. At minimum, upper Herald level. Like, he TOTALLY ignores it.

Can you say more about his psychic powers? He might have an edge in physicality but if he can't defend himself from Despero's TP, its all for naught. Dude did trash J'onn after all.

The psychic power of a billion people should in /theory/ be drifting into Xavier/J'onn level but without more feats... eh. And again, you probably need to be beyond even them to defend from Despero.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

In a weakened state, the Over-mind, simultaneously mind-controlled 800 normal people for an extended period of time. I don't remember that Defenders issue well, but it was maybe weeks or months of continuous mind control. At his peak, he stalemated the Stranger in mental combat, and the Stranger is considered a cosmic level being in the same weight class as Galactus, though his actual feats suggest he is more in between Galactus and herald level of power.

Hmm. So I've done a little bit of digging on his interactions with the Stranger.

Looks like the first time they fought, Stranger basically overwhelmed him with ease.

The second time, its MUCH closer. Over-mind is saying he was caught off guard the first time and that he has better prepared. On the flip side, onlookers are stating things like "Stranger needs a break. Even his size is diminished" implying he was a little less than 100%.

Not sure how to place all this honestly. My gut says Over-mind probably has at least enough of an edge to defend himself from TP. He shields himself properly and closes the gap. From there he should wear Despero down with his ridiculous physical attributes.

Fun fight!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Though not a high-end feat, here's a nice shot of Over-Mind manhandling half the FF:

Despero might have an edge in speed. There are numerous instances of him laying hands on fast characters like Martian Manhunter or Kryptonians, but here is one involving the Flash:

But for a blitz to matter, Despero needs to be able to take down Over-mind fast. This page shows him at least temporarily KOing both Superman and Captain Marvel, with an unconscious Wonder Woman already at his feat. But his reaction to getting in the face by Hawkman's mace doesn't speak highly of his durability:

Speed wise, neither of them have anything but standard speedster PIS going for them as far as something like "look, they tagged a Flash or whoever". I wouldn't put either of them as especially faster than the other.

Durability wise I wouldn't exactly fault Despero for getting hurt by getting maced in the face by Hawkman if that's one of his Nth metal weapons. DC tends to let those get away with various nonsensical crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Speed wise, neither of them have anything but standard speedster PIS going for them as far as something like "look, they tagged a Flash or whoever". I wouldn't put either of them as especially faster than the other.

Durability wise I wouldn't exactly fault Despero for getting hurt by getting maced in the face by Hawkman if that's one of his Nth metal weapons. DC tends to let those get away with various nonsensical crap.
    Yeah, I dont see any real speed edge myself.

I also totally forgot how easily Despero slapped Superman and Captain Marvel around.

This is a very close fight imo.
    - big_adventure

Telepaths can be difficult to nail down power wise sometimes and it seems scaling is more often than not relied upon to come up with a thereabouts. Maybe its noteworthy that Overmind pretty much overwhelmed Doom once Reed's psi blocker was busted up. The same Doom that no sold a then planetary level telepath, Purple Man.

On that same note, J'onn a high end telepath has always been a solid second when squaring off (telepathically) against Despero. IIRC, Overmind's second go round with The Stranger, although much closer, still resulted in a loss for Overmind. I dont know man, close call.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

True, he did overwhelm Doom. Though the fact that Doom didnt drop instantly speaks volumes to his resistance. It's a good feat for both of them.

Shellhead, I think you have managed to create an extremely close fight thread. A rare event indeed! =)
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    True, he did overwhelm Doom. Though the fact that Doom didnt drop instantly speaks volumes to his resistance. It's a good feat for both of them.
    Yep I was thinking the same. Doom has some pretty top notch TP resistance.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Overmind?

For some reason, when I first saw this thread, I immediately thought of these guys (as they are psychics as well)…

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Overmind

BANNED

Has he able to/shown reading a cosmic entities mind? It would be a significant feat as almost all of them have significant psionic protection. Even John wasn't able to penetrate the grandmasters mind with a casual/some effort scan in the JLA avengers crossover.