Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Marvel heroes with lairs.

Mad props to Nix Uatan for coming up with the original version of this on the DC boards.

So Nix pointed out that characters like Superman and Batman have lairs (the Fortress and the Batcave, obviously) and wondered who else in the DCU might have a lair hidden somewhere. This got me thinking, who are the Marvel heroes with lairs? Moon Knight springs to mind for me. Surely there are others, right? Sound away below if you know of other Marvel heroes with lairs!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Ever since the early days of the Fantastic Four and Avengers, Marvel was never very big on heroes with lairs. The FF were very out in the open with their HQ in the Baxter Building and then of course there was Avengers Mansion. Doctor Strange residence isn't hidden SHIELD was Marvel's answer to the spy films/TV that were popular so they did have a hidden HQ that I suppose would qualify. The Man from U.N.C.L.E TV show famously had a secret entrance via a tailor shop in NYC and in Strange Tales #136 we did see Nick Fury enter one of SHIELD's "lairs" via an barber shop. But from the very first, the main SHIELD base of operations was the Helicarrier. I can't recall if it started out having a cloaking device. I would imagine it would be hard to miss.

The Runaways lived in a secret underground mansion so that would be like a lair. Now they are with Doc Justice and he has what looks like a lair.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-19-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Scott Lang has a secret lab inside of his cybernetic helmet that passes for a lab. he also has an office.

To have a lair, you really need to have both a secret identity and lots of money. Marvel characters rarely have both. You've got rich guys like Iron Man and the Fantastic Four, but they don't have secret identities. You've got guys with secret identities like Spider-Man, but they are poor.

That said, there are a few characters in Marvel who have lairs, as stated by previous posters, but they are the exception at Marvel. DC is more known for the lair, as their two most famous characters both have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Runaways lived in a secret underground mansion so that would be like a lair. Now they are with Doc Justice and he has what looks like a lair.
    Nice, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I haven't read Runaways since the original run, I should jump back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Scott Lang has a secret lab inside of his cybernetic helmet that passes for a lab. he also has an office.
    Ah, yeah, I forgot about that!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    To have a lair, you really need to have both a secret identity and lots of money. Marvel characters rarely have both. You've got rich guys like Iron Man and the Fantastic Four, but they don't have secret identities. You've got guys with secret identities like Spider-Man, but they are poor.
    That said, there are a few characters in Marvel who have lairs, as stated by previous posters, but they are the exception at Marvel. DC is more known for the lair, as their two most famous characters both have them.
    Yeah, I knew that when I started the thread but figured that maybe there'd be some characters I hadn't considered who have lairs. I think of the Sanctum Sanctorum as a lair. It's totes secret and is filled with all kinda of artifacts from Dr. Strange's adventures. The sub-basement of Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters is something of a lair too. It's a secret place where the heroes train and where secret technology is used.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Moon Knight might qualify. Pretty sure he had a secret spot where he kept his chopper.

I’d say Dr. Strange’s Sanctum is a lair, and one of the coolest.

Captain Marvel built one recently. Very Batcave-like, with old costumes on display and a massive computer.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ooh!

The Hulk’s Cave!
    It was in the New Mexico desert, and was officially called Banner Hideout B-733. Banner (Hulk) and Rick Jones would hang out there, and it had kind of a panic room/prison cell where Banner’d get locked in prior to his nightly transformations.

Last edited by Riv86672; 12-19-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The only time I can recall in comics that Spider-Man had a lair was when he was Superior, and that was actually Otto Octavius/Doctor Octopus, not Peter Parker even if he was wearing Peter's body. Outside comics, the And His Amazing Friends version had a hidden lair in the house he shared with Aunt May and Iceman and Firestar, and Into the Spider-Verse's Peter Parker (the blond and dead one) turned out to have a lair full of costumes and gear hidden in the house he once shared with his Aunt May.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Outside comics, the And His Amazing Friends version had a hidden lair in the house he shared with Aunt May and Iceman and Firestar,
    How the heck would May not know about that? And knowing of it's existence would've surely busted Peter's secret identity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Installing all that would have been nosy. Did Aunt May not wonder what Peter and his two friends were doing in his room that was making so much noise?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

There are secret lairs and then there are secret lairs.

Take Blue Marvel's base located in Challenger Deep* in the beautiful and mysterious Mariana Trench. Kadesh as its called has every appointment: super science fortress, medical labs, central hub for a global network of teleportational portals, Thanos-proof holding cells, para-Cosmic Awareness psionic chambers, state of the art information facilities, posh living quarters, and otherworldly views galore.

And if the ocean floor views are not to your liking, well, the entire exotic expanse of the Neutral Zone (Exo-space) is literally your backyard. Just strap on a Mark IV or later exo-armor, skip right over the Super Flow and enjoy a stroll in a place where few others have ever gone before. And if you happen to see a giant blue naked man, don't be alarmed. No, it's not Dr. Manhattan, but rather the cosmic guardian of the Neutral Zone and Adam's first born son, Kevin. Powerful enough to flick a Beyonder as though he were annoying lint, you'll never have to worry about running into any serious trouble on your hike under Kevin's watchful gaze.

Kadesh. The awesome lair that every franchise hero needs. Book your vacation stay today!

*Note: Challenger Deep is the deepest point of the earth's surface, over 10,000m down in the Pacific Ocean. You're going to need a pretty good submersible to get there if you decide to go it alone. You might also want to get clearance from Atlantis, since Namor often patrols the surrounding area and considers it a part of Atlantis' sovereign territory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    How the heck would May not know about that? And knowing of it's existence would've surely busted Peter's secret identity.
    Installing all that would have been nosy. Did Aunt May not wonder what Peter and his two friends were doing in his room that was making so much noise?
    She probably thought they were playing some rock and roll. (Take that as you will.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I was going to mention Blue Marvel's Kadesh base, but JudicatorPrime beat me to it. Black Panther has the Technojungle and the Caves of Bast, but I don't think he uses them much these days.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Iron Man actually installed it... I imagine May got a free weekend spa trip during the installation.

Now how they did all that AND kept a secret identity, that's a better question :P