View Poll Results: What era do you prefer the Invaders to take place in?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • World War II (when the group was first active)

56 63.64%
  • Present day 21st century

9 10.23%
  • doesn't matter one way or another to me

20 22.73%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

3 3.41%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

WWII is my favorite era.

Picked this up today from the $1.00 bin:

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    All excellent points. Well said.
    Thanks for the nice words

Thought that with a new Invaders series starting again in 2019,
    it might be worth resurrecting this thread.

Don't know if anybody has voted on the poll since back in 2014, but at last check we had:
    * World War II (when the group was first active) = 15 votes
    * doesn't matter one way or another to me = 11 votes
    * Present day 21st century = 6 votes

I missed the poll/this thread in the original time of it.

Why not both? Stories from the past and stories now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I missed the poll/this thread in the original time of it.

Why not both? Stories from the past and stories now.
    The only problem with that is, how do you split up stories from the past and stories set in the present? Is something like one page of a flashback to WWII per an issue an acceptable average? A 4-5 issue arc in the present with a single issue set in the past to follow it a good balance?
    Unfortunately, I don't know how often writers these days would handle such a concept, and I think some of us would feel like they don't offer enough set back in the heyday of the 1940s.

BANNED

WWII for sure.

I would love it if Orson Randall and John Aman were involved next time Invaders come up in that setting.

In less than twelve hours we're up to:
    * World War II (when the group was first active) = 22 votes (+ 7)
    * doesn't matter one way or another to me = 13 votes (+ 2)
    * Present day 21st century = 8 votes (+ 2)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The only problem with that is, how do you split up stories from the past and stories set in the present? Is something like one page of a flashback to WWII per an issue an acceptable average? A 4-5 issue arc in the present with a single issue set in the past to follow it a good balance?
    Unfortunately, I don't know how often writers these days would handle such a concept, and I think some of us would feel like they don't offer enough set back in the heyday of the 1940s.
    I'm not sure that Marvel is really expecting this Invaders series to be a permanent on-going lasting more than six issues.

But I think WWII is the best time for this team. There was huge change in storytelling between the original stories and Roy Thomas' stuff. There has since been leaps in techniques between then and now.

Unlike the JSA, the Invaders all have roles and stories in the present and assembling them as the Invaders screams something to do with WWII. An occasional get-together is fine, but if the team is going to have any sort of standing as the Invaders, I'd much rather see it in the past.

was that Invaders/Avengers mini series collected in a TPB? the current Avengers team time-travels, etc.?

------------------------
    Have the Invaders had a story arc where the whole team was put to sleep and then transported to an Earth where the Axis forces won?

indeed it was.

as for the question, i'd probably go with a split -- the world war 2 stuff tends to be my favorite, but i do think there's potential for the legacy/modern day aspect, even if nothing modern day has ever truly stuck. i'd be down for a james robinson's starman vibe, with an ongoing modern narrative with plenty of "Times Past" stories sprinkled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    was that Invaders/Avengers mini series collected in a TPB? the current Avengers team time-travels, etc.?
    It was (back in 2010), but wasn't that series / trade paperback collection published as a collaboration with Dynamite?

------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Have the Invaders had a story arc where the whole team was put to sleep and then transported to an Earth where the Axis forces won?
    I see I'm still currently the only person who responded to this question when you asked it yesterday in the other thread . . .

Invaders can have WWII flashbacks and such for character moments, but it's not really going to make for compelling stories on its own when you know exactly how the conflict ends and where every character ends up.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not sure that Marvel is really expecting this Invaders series to be a permanent on-going lasting more than six issues.

But I think WWII is the best time for this team. There was huge change in storytelling between the original stories and Roy Thomas' stuff. There has since been leaps in techniques between then and now.

Unlike the JSA, the Invaders all have roles and stories in the present and assembling them as the Invaders screams something to do with WWII. An occasional get-together is fine, but if the team is going to have any sort of standing as the Invaders, I'd much rather see it in the past.
    The previous 2 non-mini-series runs of Invaders got over a year. I don't see why this one wouldn't do the same, since it has a quality art team and a solid writer.

Not to sound like a grumpy old geezer, but it amazes what books get multiple years of books -- counting the reboots -- and what books can barely get a year. All the team members have fans, especially Cap. People appear to like the Invaders and WWII stuff with Cap -- look at Cap's first movie, Brubaker's use of the Invaders, heck, even Wonder Woman's movie, though obviously a different war. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it finds a large enough audience and the book goes on for as many years as possible.

But to your point, I didn't think about it before, but you're right about the techniques and changes in story telling. Movies have done the same thing through the decades. Like of like the almost propaganda films of the WWII period, to the starkness of the 50s films like Battleground, to the epic and adventure films of the 60s and 70s like The Longest Day and Kelley's Heroes, to our more modern takes like Saving Private Ryan. It would be cool if they could do the same with the Invaders.

OTOH, I think if Robinson could have finished a plotline, and streamlined his dialog, his take on the Invaders, both modern and flashbacks, would have been more successful. It certainly was interesting.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

i actually re-read avengers/invaders not long ago.

i would have loved to see a more classic avengers line-up -- the one used here was the in-continuity bendis new avengers line-up, so as i was reading it i was instantly reminded of a very specific/poorly remembered era of marvel, and it kind of took me out of the book.

avengers/invaders should also be a poster child for 12 issue maxi-series that could probably be done in 4 issues. that thing drug on unnecessarily.

the covers sure were pretty, though.