View Poll Results: What era do you prefer the Invaders to take place in?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • World War II (when the group was first active)

56 63.64%
  • Present day 21st century

9 10.23%
  • doesn't matter one way or another to me

20 22.73%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

3 3.41%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'd like to see John Aman and Azzuri team up with WWII The Invaders.

Maybe they could somehow get involved in a Northern Africa operation.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I remember absolutely loving the Bucky/Namor relationship Brubaker visited in his Captain America run.

I’d say a modern threat that somehow relates to a past mission of some kind...that way we can experience both in one book. And wow do I agree that I’d love to see Orson Randall turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'd like to see John Aman and Azzuri team up with WWII The Invaders.
    Has Marvel settled on the "Azzuri" spelling?
    I thought they also sometimes spelled it "Azzari"?

1940's.

Same as the JSA at DC.

I like my WWII heroes to be in WWII.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Has Marvel settled on the "Azzuri" spelling?
    I thought they also sometimes spelled it "Azzari"?
    I may just be screwing it up. They are both used, though one is T'challa's grandfather and the other is a future timeline child.

Either way, Golden Age Black Panther and John Aman would make cool Secret Invaders.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Was also thinking, there is no need for The Invaders in the modern era especially when they are basically all Avengers.
    Batman - Daredevil

which is why robinson's pitch for his series kinda worked, they came together again to combat the kree. but then of course you have the invaders (famous for fighting nazis) not fighting nazis and everyone sits around and asks why they aren't fighting nazis.

A modern Invaders series to me would be somewhat like that All New Invaders relaunch they tried in the early 2000s, but I'd make it more of a black ops book with USAgent, War Machine, Black Widow, Union Jack and guys like that taking out Hydra and AIM and other terrorist organizations or destabilizing places like Madripoor or Latveria using morally grey methodology.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    A modern Invaders series to me would be somewhat like that All New Invaders relaunch they tried in the early 2000s, but I'd make it more of a black ops book with USAgent, War Machine, Black Widow, Union Jack and guys like that taking out Hydra and AIM and other terrorist organizations or destabilizing places like Madripoor or Latveria using morally grey methodology.
    If you had a book like that, you should call it Secret Warriors or something of that nature.
    Save the Invaders name for something at least connected with the WWII heroes and their past history.

(And yes, I'm aware John Walker and Joe Chapman did have later connections with The Invaders, but it still doesn't seem right without an original member or two.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you had a book like that, you should call it Secret Warriors or something of that nature.
    Save the Invaders name for something at least connected with the WWII heroes and their past history.

(And yes, I'm aware John Walker and Joe Chapman did have later connections with The Invaders, but it still doesn't seem right without an original member or two.)
    Maybe you could run parallel stories. So you could have the two teams running similar themed missions one in the 1940s and one in 20XX and show how the idea of warfare using superheroes has changed, and sort of play with how the term "Invaders" takes a different spin dependent upon the era and geopolitical dynamics.

I don't think it would make a great ongoing but maybe as a OGN or a Marvel Knights style "continuity adjacent" mini series it would be fun.
    Pull List:

WWII. We already have Cap and Namor in the modern era. Johnny Storm the modern Torch. Would like to see the Liberty Legion as well.

NOTE: This thread / poll was originally started back in May of 2014.
    ---------------------------

With 61 people having voted at some point in time,
    * World War II (when the group was first active) = 36 votes
    * doesn't matter one way or another to me = 15 votes
    * Present day 21st century = 8 votes
    * "other"(please explain in a separate post) = 2 votes

Extraordinary Member

Any time really...I like the idea of them in modern times as a group that gets together occasionally with a limited series of them coming together to deal with a crisis. But also would love to see a story of them back in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    My first encounter with the Invaders was Avengers vol. 1, issue 71 (even before they had a name) and I loved the Timely Golden Age heroes called forth by Rick Jones in issue 97 (even if it was only a page or two)
    In agreement with you about Avengers #71 (December, 1969). A definite classic, and an all-time favorite

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-08-2023 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    indeed it was.

as for the question, i'd probably go with a split -- the world war 2 stuff tends to be my favorite, but i do think there's potential for the legacy/modern day aspect, even if nothing modern day has ever truly stuck. i'd be down for a james robinson's starman vibe, with an ongoing modern narrative with plenty of "Times Past" stories sprinkled in.
    In agreement with you about the potential part, Adset.
    Many have been complaining about Marvel being unable to find something for Bucky to do.
    So, why not have him become leader of the modern-day version of the team.
    Even modern-day version of Union Jack could join in, with occasional visits from Cap/Namor/Hammond (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Invaders can have WWII flashbacks and such for character moments, but it's not really going to make for compelling stories on its own when you know exactly how the conflict ends and where every character ends up.
    Indeed. Truly meta (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-30-2021 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.