View Poll Results: What era do you prefer the Invaders to take place in?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • World War II (when the group was first active)

56 63.64%
  • Present day 21st century

9 10.23%
  • doesn't matter one way or another to me

20 22.73%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

3 3.41%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Invaders: WHEN Do You Prefer Them?

Well, we currently have All-New Invaders, a book featuring a group of heroes originally active back in World War II, but currently set in the present.

The group was first officially named and formed back in 1975, but had their existence in Marvel Comics stories retconned to earlier than that.

But now my question (and I don't know how much the answer may be determined in part by how old people who vote are): When do you prefer your Invaders adventures to take place?

I personally prefer adventures set during World War II, but I admit I'm older and may have more appreciation for that time because my father was in the army back then. Are people who are younger maybe not really interested in those times?

Last edited by MajorHoy; 12-17-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: replaced image(s) that apparently no longer linked

World War II definitely.

I love history, particularly US history from the early 20s to the late 50s, as well as a massive appreciation for the people who lived during the World War II era, so superhero stories set in that time are my bread and butter.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

I like to see the Invaders functioning in the present-day. There are so many story possibilities with each character's rich history. I do like stories from their original era too (after all I did purchase issue 1 back in that woebegone day). I enjoy WW2 stories, but I want to see how the characters has grown and developed over the decades and have maintained their camaraderie and unity. I'm thrilled with Robinson's and Pugh's efforts so far--it is the best the Invaders have been since their first gathering. I don't count the 'other' group (although Blazing Skull was a lot of fun). My first encounter with the Invaders was Avengers vol. 1, issue 71 (even before they had a name) and I loved the Timely Golden Age heroes called forth by Rick Jones in issue 97 (even if it was only a page or two)

BANNED

World War II - but with occasional modern day reunions. They are a wartime team, but part of what makes them interesting in the modern day is that there is not a war to fight in - so what do they mean now?

Technically, I would say "it doesn't matter to me," but I always wanted an Invaders that were more like the Exiles series. Start with the Nazi-ruled alternate reality from Excalibur in the 80s, and then keep dimension hopping to stop that empire from expanding cross-time.

The current series has the start of this idea-- the team shouldn't be one that simply reacts to things on the homefront, which is pretty much 90% of all comicbook series on the shelf. So why not bring the fight to the enemy, in this case outer space. The Exiles idea though keeps the best of what's familiar and adds some good twists to keep it new.

I went with "other" although "It doesn't matter" might fit too. I think the premise only works when they have a reason to invade an enemy. I think this Kree threat is a little contrived, but they are Invaders so it's working so far. As a team they don't have the same validation that say an Avengers, X-Men, or Justice League does, without an important premise they have no reason to exist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But now my question (and I don't know how much the answer may be determined in part by how old people who vote are): When do you prefer your Invaders adventures to take place?
    I prefer my Invaders adventures to occur in whatever time period that will enable them to see publication -- the longer the better. I like the characters and the dynamic of the team, regardless of era. Of course, the dynamic of the team is a result of WWII, so I feel that has to play a part, whether in flashback or in that era.

BANNED

I will take them anyway I can get them but I will say I really like the idea of them being in the present more. Mostly because there are several characters I would like to see them interact with as a group and I would also like to see new team members added to the group dynamics. It would be awesome to get some legacy characters on the team that could also happen to add some diversity in the Invaders ranks.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't think temporal setting matters, really.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I prefer my Invaders adventures to occur in whatever time period that will enable them to see publication -- the longer the better. I like the characters and the dynamic of the team, regardless of era. Of course, the dynamic of the team is a result of WWII, so I feel that has to play a part, whether in flashback or in that era.
    I've really grown to like this team in what little I've read, so I agree with the above. I think they can work in any era.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

WWII for me. Though I enjoy the Invaders when they have present day gatherings/adventures, I never feel them as relevant as in the war scenario. Back in the day, THEY were the top dogs. Nowadays, they merely feel like another of the various Avengers groups, a little bit redundant. I also miss the other fringe groups such as the Liberty Legion, the Kid Commandos and the Nazi teams. That said, I intend to stick with the current book. As Rheged said, I enjoy the characters and the dynamic of the team, so I'll take them when I can get them.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I went with "other" although "It doesn't matter" might fit too. I think the premise only works when they have a reason to invade an enemy. I think this Kree threat is a little contrived, but they are Invaders so it's working so far. As a team they don't have the same validation that say an Avengers, X-Men, or Justice League does, without an important premise they have no reason to exist.
    You don't think the empires of Nazi Germany and Japan during WWII qualified as "an important premise"?

A war that gave us

isn't "an important premise"?

Last edited by MajorHoy; 12-17-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: attempted replacement of image that no longer linked

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

While I don't really care, I really do think the WWII era has been mined to death and should forevermore be left alone, unless it has a direct bearing on the present.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You don't think the empires of Nazi Germany and Japan during WWII qualified as "an important premise"?

A war that gave usisn't "an important premise"?

Sorry if my answer was confusing. Yes, The Invaders had a lot of reason to invade Europe and Germany. What I was trying to say is the characters are dynamic and work well together (probably even better now that Bucky is Winter Soldier). The temporal setting doesn't matter as much as the validation for the invasion, and you're right I can't think of a better validation than Hitler's Germany. I mean the first rule of time travel is; Kill Hitler.

BANNED

Any era really.
    As long as I can see some Invaders action, I'm good.