View Poll Results: What era do you prefer the Invaders to take place in?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • World War II (when the group was first active)

56 63.64%
  • Present day 21st century

9 10.23%
  • doesn't matter one way or another to me

20 22.73%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

3 3.41%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    WWII for me. Though I enjoy the Invaders when they have present day gatherings/adventures, I never feel them as relevant as in the war scenario. Back in the day, THEY were the top dogs. Nowadays, they merely feel like another of the various Avengers groups, a little bit redundant. I also miss the other fringe groups such as the Liberty Legion, the Kid Commandos and the Nazi teams. That said, I intend to stick with the current book. As Rheged said, I enjoy the characters and the dynamic of the team, so I'll take them when I can get them.

Peace
    I DO like the WWII II Invaders stories, but I like many movies of and about the 30s and 40s. I'm not sure I agree they feel like an Avengers group, though. They aren't really a team when they show up in the present, so much as comrades in arms who are called upon by one of their own to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    While I don't really care, I really do think the WWII era has been mined to death and should forevermore be left alone, unless it has a direct bearing on the present.
    I wouldn't go that far. There's plenty of stories of that era that could be told more 'realistically' like I think Paul Jenkins tried to do with ALL WINNERS SQUAD. Though, considering the sales on that mini-series, I'm not so sure Marvel fans are interested in that era.

i prefer the wwii era but i understand that if they want to sell they need to be in the present day.

It would be cool if they could finish the story of the Crazy S.U.E.S. from All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes
    Last edited by joebleau; 05-05-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Love this idea!

I wish they would mix in more old wwii forgotten heroes..like they are doing with the orig vision...i personally would love to see the destroyer.

Ultimate Member

WW2, all the way.

They've got dozens of heroes to explore, dozens of nations 'secret histories' to toy with, tons of pre-existing backstory that hasn't yet been folded into the WW2 era (such as what were the Inhumans or Eternals up to, or what was the Ancient One doing, or did K'un L'un have any agents operating in the eastern theatres?).

Plus, the best part, is that there need be no crossovers or 'event' nonsense. Whatever the Avengers vs. X-Men / hero on hero violence is going on in the modern day, a WW2 set Invaders team is completely insulated from it.

It's the same reason I like Guardians of the Galaxy or Legion of Super-Heroes or the Exiles or X-Men 2099 or D.P. 7 or various other teams isolated from standard continuities so much. A dozen fear hammers can fall, or Magneto and Professor Xavier can fuse into a giant purple hate machine, or Exodus / Vulcan / Omega dork of the week can be all omnipotent and pointless, and none of it matters to heroes set in the past, the future, other dimensions, Earth 2, Knowhere / cosmic space, etc.

"Ooh, present day 616 Earth is in deadly peril from colliding alternate planets or Infinity Gems or the Sentry's dark emo wangst or some such rubbish! Just like it was yesterday, whether you were there to stop it or not. Just like it will be tomorrow, no matter what horrible choices you make to stop it. Meaningless. Imma go punch some Nazis!"

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    While I don't really care, I really do think the WWII era has been mined to death and should forevermore be left alone, unless it has a direct bearing on the present.
    It all depends on how old you are and how long you've been reading comic books. I enjoy reading about there era, but as I've said, that's when my parents were alive. (The 1920's were cool, too, though my Mom wasn't born until 1930, and my Dad was born in 1926.)

My fear is that younger readers (there are some out there, aren't there?) haven't been exposed that much to things World War II-related, and it will soon become almost like World War I has become to non-history majors: a war that happened, but few really seem to care about when compared to other, more recent conflicts. And when that happens, with all the lessons we should have learned from WWII be lost?

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    i prefer the wwii era but i understand that if they want to seel they need to be in the present day.

It would be cool if they could finish the story of the Crazy S.U.E.S. from All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes
    I'll second that . . . even issuing a tpb including the unpublished issues would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Love this idea!

I wish they would mix in more old wwii forgotten heroes..like they are doing with the orig vision...i personally would love to see the destroyer.
    By the way, did you ever read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    WW2, all the way.

They've got dozens of heroes to explore, dozens of nations 'secret histories' to toy with, tons of pre-existing backstory that hasn't yet been folded into the WW2 era (such as what were the Inhumans or Eternals up to, or what was the Ancient One doing, or did K'un L'un have any agents operating in the eastern theatres?).

Plus, the best part, is that there need be no crossovers or 'event' nonsense. Whatever the Avengers vs. X-Men / hero on hero violence is going on in the modern day, a WW2 set Invaders team is completely insulated from it.
    Kind of how I feel.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Kind of loving all these 'newish' WW2 heroes we're seeing. The original Vision, the Blazing Skull, etc. Add to that some of the golden oldies, like Golden Girl, the Human Top, etc. and there's a ton of potential for stories out there.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I just read All New Invaders 1 - 4 and I can say I like them in any era. The WWII stuff is fun, but as this new series proves they can work in different decades/centuries.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Present day with WWII flashbacks...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I think using present day would work and go between the eras. Events in the past explored along with events in the new era. How do people that dealt with that sort of situation deal with the modern era. Also given that we're getting a hero from Japan soon in the book it should bring about some interesting debate given the fact that right now in Japan there's a lot going on with history and questions of revisionism.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I prefer them in the WWII era.
    I would like to see some grim n' gritty war stories, though. When the original series ended, it was still 1942...

The best modern follow-up to the Invaders was in the Byrne Namor series...

Incredible Member

The team itself belongs as a relic of WW2 superheroics... but there's no reason why the surviving members can't do stuff together in the modern day and age.

That is actually a really tough question to answer. Instinctively I want to say the WWII era as the true heroism and wonderful stories of that era always interests me. However, there is no Joe Chapman. And I love Joe Chapman.

Well certainly, Steve Rogers, Namor, Torch, and Bucky Barnes are steeped in each other's history from the war years, and the emergence of the Marvels, so they are the fathers of the Marvel Universe. As such, I don't mind that they find comfort in each other's company in the stresses of the modern setting. You need the companionship of your peers in your later years, because you have grown up together going through the same events that made you emerge as the characters you would turn out to be. I don't see that Steve Rogers forming a buddies group like the Invaders now and then in the modern setting isn't a good psychological therapy for all the Invaders. More so when Bucky is almost suicidal, Torch is continually lost, and Namor has the stresses of the Illuminati, and Black Panther on his back. For one thing, Namor turns into a rather less douchebag when he is with Bucky, and doesn't put on airs of royalty around the Invaders. I'm not sure Steve Rogers commanded Namor in the modern Silver Age before, so the way these two interact outside the Invaders, is a different way to how they encounter each other, normally, in the political sense.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-06-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well certainly, Steve Rogers, Namor, Torch, and Bucky Barnes are steeped in each other's history from the war years, and the emergence of the Marvels, so they are the fathers of the Marvel Universe. As such, I don't mind that they find comfort in each other's company in the stresses of the modern setting. You need the companionship of your peers in your later years, because you have grown up together going through the same events that made you emerge as the characters you would turn out to be. I don't see that Steve Rogers forming a buddies group like the Invaders now and then in the modern setting isn't a good psychological therapy for all the Invaders. More so when Bucky is almost suicidal, Torch is continually lost, and Namor has the stresses of the Illuminati, and Black Panther on his back. For one thing, Namor turns into a rather less douchebag when he is with Bucky, and doesn't put on airs of royalty around the Invaders. I'm not sure Steve Rogers commanded Namor in the modern Silver Age before, so the way these two interact outside the Invaders, is a different way to how they encounter each other, normally, in the political sense.
    All excellent points. Well said.