Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Christopher Nolan’s ‘Tenet’ is “related” to ‘Inception’, confirms star John David Washington

"They’re related by marriage"

Pretty sure he was being facetious, but its fun to theorize how all the Nolan movies (sans Batman Trilogy and Prestige I guess) are linked. I've read one theory that the scientist that explains inversion is the grown-up daughter of DeCaprio's character. And that the movie successful prevents the events of Interstellar from happening.

Fun, but Michael Caine appearing in all of them as a different character kinda shoots down taking it too seriously.
    Enter the Nolan-verse .

There's a couple of fan theories connecting Tenet to Interstellar. They involve who Sator's benefactors from the future are.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Enter the Nolan-verse .

There's a couple of fan theories connecting Tenet to Interstellar. They involve who Sator's benefactors from the future are.
    That sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up.

Also...

If the Nolans ever tackle mythology, they could say Caine is really a age-old deity that tries to position himself to help out mankind, just on a smaller, personal level. That could explain how every character is actually him.

Also...

If the Nolans ever tackle mythology, they could say Caine is really a age-old deity that tries to position himself to help out mankind, just on a smaller, personal level. That could explain how every character is actually him.
    Its on the tvtropes page.

Lol. I was just gonna ignore it but that's a cool way to deal with it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-30-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Also...

Enter the Nolan-verse .

We have a Tarantino-Universe, although I highly doubt Samuel L Jackson is playing the same character in every Quentin Tarantino movie.

BANNED

So what is time travel to you? Whats your standard for time travel fiction?
    Going from one point in time to another, without them being consecutive. Even Chronokinesis (as shown by Kickback in Cage) is time travel IMO, although it's considered time manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Going from one point in time to another, without them being consecutive. Even Chronokinesis (as shown by Kickback in Cage) is time travel IMO, although it's considered time manipulation.
    Wouldn't Tenet be a time reversal film then?

Retired

PRIMER was a more traditional time travel movie in that it showed the time travel from the start. It got very complicated, but you saw what was happening as it was happening. Of course, you had to work back to think out the whole timeline--but I don't mind those kinds of puzzles. And it was a rewarding experience. Of all the time travel movies, this is probably the best in establishing the rules of its world and then sticking to those rules to play out the consequences of such a premise.

In TENET, I knew intellectually that people were travelling back in time. But for the first hour and a half, its just a concept that you have to hold in your head, because it's not shown or really highlighted during that run time. If you're paying attention to the dialogue you know that's what's happening but it's not on display. And in that way it doesn't feel like a time travel movie--you don't see people doing the thing they are talking about.

In most time travel movies, people jump forward or back in time--whereas here the characters are travelling at the same rate as everyone else in the world--they aren't fast forwarding or fast rewinding--so if they're going back in time, they are going at the same rate as normal time but in a backwards direction. Now how that is happening in TENET--my brain is starting to lose it. I'm not actually sure. In PRIMER, it's simple, because they're in the box inside the box--I don't have to account for outside the box time backward movement, that's not happening in that world.

TENET is like a comic book science fiction story that establishes some factoid about science--a straw can pierce through a tree when it's blown at high speed--and then expands that factoid into something much larger but unrealistic--the Flash can go through a wall.

I know that theoretically, particles at the sub-atomic level might travel backwards in time. But those special circumstances are hard to observe--you need to go the edge of a black hole or use the large hadron collider to test the theory. And it's a whole other thing to take that theoretical element to the macro level. It makes no sense. That's fine for a movie like INCEPTION where everything is inside a dream inside a dream--so it doesn't need to make sense. But TENET depends upon a scientific idea that can't support the weight of the movie. The final hour when they do pull back the curtain on the backward travel, there are too many contradictions in logic.

BANNED

Wouldn't Tenet be a time reversal film then?
    That's another word for "invert", so obviously yes.

I've read one theory that the scientist that explains inversion is the grown-up daughter of DeCaprio's character. And that the movie successful prevents the events of Interstellar from happening.
    We really gotta get people vaccinated so they can get out of their houses.