Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default MCU: What's the next big conflict?

Captain America and Iron Man are both out of reality.

So the question becomes...which two of the remaining heroes are going to provide the conflict that propels the MCU into the next phase?

My bet: Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel, just because they have larger-than-life scope in their stories, and they would seem to have opposing objectives - Protect the galaxy vs protect the multiverse.

https://www.superherohype.com/movies...big-event-film
    Kevin Feige Is Already Planning Marvel Studios’ Next Big Event Film

I see it more as big event as Feige says than big conflict.Iron Man and Captain America barely had a conflict. When I think of marvel conflicts I think about Professor Xavier and Magneto or Daredevil and Kingpin. from what I have seen so far is not in MCU range of story style morality grey area that does create complex conflicts.

Marvel's big event is perhaps another crossover, if you look at Feige's track record, he made civil war the supposed conflict between iron man and captain America as an answer to the other suppose conflict going on with Batman v Superman. The main goal for marvel first is to make more money than Endgame so more movie crossovers events movies are expected.

I don't think MCU can make movies of interesting conflicts that needs to feel secluded or limited within a few marvel heroes.Example, if there is a conflict between X-men and F4 because of Franklin Richards, it should be between those two teams. They don't need Captain marvel, Black panther, Dr strange, GOTG, Avengers butting in, however MCU does not do it that way.

Civil War itself, was a mini Avengers event although it was meant to be a conflict film of Tony/Steve, that was quickly overshadowed once it got very Avengery.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-19-2019 at 04:29 PM.

I thought it was the Skrulls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I thought it was the Skrulls.
    Could be, but I think it's an open question whether the Skrulls are good guys, or at least universally so. In any case, Skrulls are not a single character you can illustrate an individual conflict of ideologies between.

Doom or Kang.

BANNED

The question isn't what the story or event is gonna be, but what it needs to do. The way the MCU works is that the appeal is crossovers and character-mashing. It's two steps.

1) Introduce a character and setting in a standalone.
    2) Mash them up in a crossover that combines those characters.

This is what led to the Avengers 1. What worked in that movie was the characters had been introduced, we connected to them and then they got mashed in in A1. But then Age of Ultron failed because mostly it was the Avengers from the first movie, with Scarlet Witch added in, and that's it. Infinity War and Endgame was the true crossover since it was a mashup of Avengers, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel.

Until Endgame, Feige had a status-quo where he needed to work with a set of characters that Marvel owned by themselves. Now he has a status-quo where Marvel owns a whole bunch of other characters like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

So more or less Feige needs a big story event that mashes together eventually the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Guardians or some other space team, whatever Avengers sub-team that comes up, the Disney Plus stories, Shang-Chi.

The challenge going forward...whatever event happens cannot be an Avengers story or be made into an Avengers story the way that Infinity Gauntlet (which wasn't an Avengers story originally became one). The story needs to be a Marvel Universe story and not really the story of a team.

In terms of Marvel events, there aren't many Marvel Universe stories. What you usually get is events focusing on some characters that eventually pulls others into. War of the Realms is a Thor story that ropes in the Marvel Universe, Secret Empire is a Cap story that does likewise, Age of Apocalypse is an X-Men story.

In terms of Marvel Universe stories, there's just one event...it's Secret Wars. That story mashes the FF, the X-Men, the Avengers, and Spider-Man and their villains together, all united by the one character who is versatile enough to be the villain of the entire MU...Doctor Doom.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doom or Kang.
    Endgame for me sets up Kang nicely and I find him more interesting than Doom but Doom could lead to Marvel reprinting that sweet Brubaker mini my collection desperately needs