Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default MCU: What's the next big conflict?

Captain America and Iron Man are both out of reality.

So the question becomes...which two of the remaining heroes are going to provide the conflict that propels the MCU into the next phase?

My bet: Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel, just because they have larger-than-life scope in their stories, and they would seem to have opposing objectives - Protect the galaxy vs protect the multiverse.

https://www.superherohype.com/movies...big-event-film
    Kevin Feige Is Already Planning Marvel Studios’ Next Big Event Film

I see it more as big event as Feige says than big conflict.Iron Man and Captain America barely had a conflict. When I think of marvel conflicts I think about Professor Xavier and Magneto or Daredevil and Kingpin. from what I have seen so far is not in MCU range of story style morality grey area that does create complex conflicts.

Marvel's big event is perhaps another crossover, if you look at Feige's track record, he made civil war the supposed conflict between iron man and captain America as an answer to the other suppose conflict going on with Batman v Superman. The main goal for marvel first is to make more money than Endgame so more movie crossovers events movies are expected.

I don't think MCU can make movies of interesting conflicts that needs to feel secluded or limited within a few marvel heroes.Example, if there is a conflict between X-men and F4 because of Franklin Richards, it should be between those two teams. They don't need Captain marvel, Black panther, Dr strange, GOTG, Avengers butting in, however MCU does not do it that way.

Civil War itself, was a mini Avengers event although it was meant to be a conflict film of Tony/Steve, that was quickly overshadowed once it got very Avengery.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-19-2019 at 04:29 PM.

I thought it was the Skrulls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I thought it was the Skrulls.
    Could be, but I think it's an open question whether the Skrulls are good guys, or at least universally so. In any case, Skrulls are not a single character you can illustrate an individual conflict of ideologies between.

Doom or Kang.

BANNED

The question isn't what the story or event is gonna be, but what it needs to do. The way the MCU works is that the appeal is crossovers and character-mashing. It's two steps.

1) Introduce a character and setting in a standalone.
    2) Mash them up in a crossover that combines those characters.

This is what led to the Avengers 1. What worked in that movie was the characters had been introduced, we connected to them and then they got mashed in in A1. But then Age of Ultron failed because mostly it was the Avengers from the first movie, with Scarlet Witch added in, and that's it. Infinity War and Endgame was the true crossover since it was a mashup of Avengers, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel.

Until Endgame, Feige had a status-quo where he needed to work with a set of characters that Marvel owned by themselves. Now he has a status-quo where Marvel owns a whole bunch of other characters like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

So more or less Feige needs a big story event that mashes together eventually the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Guardians or some other space team, whatever Avengers sub-team that comes up, the Disney Plus stories, Shang-Chi.

The challenge going forward...whatever event happens cannot be an Avengers story or be made into an Avengers story the way that Infinity Gauntlet (which wasn't an Avengers story originally became one). The story needs to be a Marvel Universe story and not really the story of a team.

In terms of Marvel events, there aren't many Marvel Universe stories. What you usually get is events focusing on some characters that eventually pulls others into. War of the Realms is a Thor story that ropes in the Marvel Universe, Secret Empire is a Cap story that does likewise, Age of Apocalypse is an X-Men story.

In terms of Marvel Universe stories, there's just one event...it's Secret Wars. That story mashes the FF, the X-Men, the Avengers, and Spider-Man and their villains together, all united by the one character who is versatile enough to be the villain of the entire MU...Doctor Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The question isn't what the story or event is gonna be, but what it needs to do. The way the MCU works is that the appeal is crossovers and character-mashing. It's two steps.

1) Introduce a character and setting in a standalone.
    2) Mash them up in a crossover that combines those characters.

This is what led to the Avengers 1. What worked in that movie was the characters had been introduced, we connected to them and then they got mashed in in A1. But then Age of Ultron failed because mostly it was the Avengers from the first movie, with Scarlet Witch added in, and that's it. Infinity War and Endgame was the true crossover since it was a mashup of Avengers, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel.

Until Endgame, Feige had a status-quo where he needed to work with a set of characters that Marvel owned by themselves. Now he has a status-quo where Marvel owns a whole bunch of other characters like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

So more or less Feige needs a big story event that mashes together eventually the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Guardians or some other space team, whatever Avengers sub-team that comes up, the Disney Plus stories, Shang-Chi.

The challenge going forward...whatever event happens cannot be an Avengers story or be made into an Avengers story the way that Infinity Gauntlet (which wasn't an Avengers story originally became one). The story needs to be a Marvel Universe story and not really the story of a team.

In terms of Marvel events, there aren't many Marvel Universe stories. What you usually get is events focusing on some characters that eventually pulls others into. War of the Realms is a Thor story that ropes in the Marvel Universe, Secret Empire is a Cap story that does likewise, Age of Apocalypse is an X-Men story.

In terms of Marvel Universe stories, there's just one event...it's Secret Wars. That story mashes the FF, the X-Men, the Avengers, and Spider-Man and their villains together, all united by the one character who is versatile enough to be the villain of the entire MU...Doctor Doom.
    I always get frustrated whenever I read anything from Kevin Feige, to me he has never understood the actual depth of the marvel universe, its like everything about marvel is all leading to this big event stuff where all the characters have to meet eachother. the comics are nothing like that. honestly I rather seem him ditch this big events suppose conflict movies and focus more on smaller independent stand alone stories.

I think Doom and Galactus get pushed first but the next all hands on deck event I dont known. Either of them with the right story. Namor and Magneto could also be people who require a team up movie. But honestly i think the Eternals sets up the Celestials are still out there and if they come back every character good or bad would be on the same side.

Dormammu is a possibility as well.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doom or Kang.
    Endgame for me sets up Kang nicely and I find him more interesting than Doom but Doom could lead to Marvel reprinting that sweet Brubaker mini my collection desperately needs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think Doom and Galactus get pushed first but the next all hands on deck event I dont known.
    Galactus is a Fantastic Four story. The trial of galactus has to be a story that when adapted has to be solved by the Four themselves. It cannot be an Avengers-style team up that would ruin the entire story.

That's the problem with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, their stories by themselves are so huge in scope and so all-encompassing that logically they should be huge events but to be true to the story and concept, they have to be FF and X-Men stories.

Galactus is a Fantastic Four story. The trial of galactus has to be a story that when adapted has to be solved by the Four themselves. It cannot be an Avengers-style team up that would ruin the entire story.

That's the problem with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, their stories by themselves are so huge in scope and so all-encompassing that logically they should be huge events but to be true to the story and concept, they have to be FF and X-Men stories.
    Galactus is the kind of story that I think would necesitate involving a lot of other heroes, but as long as the FF are still central to resolving the conflict, I think it's fine.

Like we had all these disparate characters coming together in a Endgame, even if they weren't "official" Avengers, but it was the main Avengers who stopped Thanos.

These are adaptions nothing is gonna work on screen as an exact copy of the comics. The F4 should be at the center of a Galactus story but the story they choose to tell will be mostly original.

I like the Celestials returning as a Villian cause you could get Galactus in a smaller movie thats just F4 and a couple other characters who make sense would be around. but then have him on the heroes side against the Celestials and a Endgame level movie. I just picture Galactus/Silver Surfer/Nova/Adam Warlock/Captain Marvel/Guardians in the Milano/Eternals/Fury and S.W.O.R.D etc.. all being the front line meeting the Celestials out in space. Then you have the Atlantian/Wakandan/Latverian militaries being the front line on earth. But unless they make up a army of lesser bad guys working with the Celestials... I just dont know what you do with The lesser heroes with no powers or useless powers against Celestials. Iono maybe they Pilot some Wakandan/Latverian tech becuase i really wouldnt want another random mindless army of paper men. Maybe the Eternals can introduce the idea of there being alot of deviants out there and they could be the ground force for the lesser heroes to fight.

Anyway we are gonna get original stories anyway loosely based on the comics, like we have for the last 10years. If we get Age of Apocalypse as a crossover movie some of the non Xmen characters would for sure get bigger roles then the background characters they were in the original story. Doesnt mean the Xmen cant be at the center, but Blsck Panther or other characters who are gonna be the face of the MCU will get big roles for sure .

I expect the MCU to follow its formula. Introduce new teams/characters in one or two movies, then mesh everyone together. We're a couple of years out from seeing the FF unite with the Avengers, though we could see cameos.

FF 1 - Their origin story, introduction of Victor, and the big bad is Annihilus.
    FF 2 - Dr. Doom story
    FF 3 - Galactus story

Similar to Ultimate FF, except switched out Mole Man for Annihilus

At the same time, we'll get the Eternals movie in there somewhere and probably a real Inhumans movie.

This will all ultimately build up to Annihilation.

X-Men - I have no idea but think they are going to remain separate from the other heroes. No way are we seeing them join the Avengers
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Apparently I wasn't clear in my original post about what I was asking. We can go on ad nauseam about who the next big antagonist is going to be (and we will on many threads). My question is what two heroes will provide the conflict provided by Steve and Tony, now that they are gone? Where will the conflict come from that the heroes must overcome to win the day?

BANNED

I wonder if the conflict will be more along the lines of approach from the F4 vs. Avengers. So maybe Richards and Falcon? Or Richards and Strange?