Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Examples? Because I don't feel this way at all.
    Dear White People the series tends the list. With folks dropping Netflix over that show based on the NAME.
    Probably When they See us too.
    One Day at a Time.

The usual suspects that no one is being forced to watch. But will get blamed for everything.

Some take issue with who is getting projects on Netflix. Especially of certain skin tones and sexuality. Marlon Wayans and Adam Sandler have had a field day making movies on Netflix.

In Netflix's case it's not politics and that nonsense.

Excluding Netlix exclusive movies-the majority of those films and tv shows can be seen on other steam services, DVD, digital download or youtube.

Some can be bought at lower prices in the used DVD/blue ray market (some with still working codes). Netflix can not stop Half Price book or Movie Trading post from having sales.

Not to mention Ebay.

If WB/HBO are doing their own thing-of course Netflix will lose subscribers. If all you watch is HBO-why have Netflix? Netflix will replace those folks with new ones who don't have a place to go. Meaning they are going to go after marginalized folks which bring up the "politics" nonsense.

I already explained that the politics are just one thing I hate, but it's far from what I hate the most. That was listed previously, but just in case you missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Honestly, the politics aren’t what bugs me most. It’s the “CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL” mentality that Netflix believes in. Not only is it bad for us, it’s bad for creators. I think they’re going to notice this, and take their stuff elsewhere for a fair shot. Then they’ll have less creators wanting to work with them. I think the term here is “you reap what you sow”.
    I was actually interested in Daybreak, and saw some episodes. It was a nice, entertaining, easy watch. Then they cancelled it after like a month, which on top of all their other cancellations, just really showed me that Netflix isn't what it used to be. Doesn't help that I hear it ends on a cliffhanger, and unless someone else rescues it, we're unlikely to see what Season 2 would be. Netflix is no longer the place for creators and their ideas to prosper, and as said in the quote, I bet the creators are going to stay away from them after all of this. Why go to a service that won't even give your work a fair chance?
    Last edited by Hybrid; 12-22-2019 at 08:48 PM.

I already explained that the politics are just one thing I hate, but it's far from what I hate the most. That was listed previously, but just in case you missed it.

I was actually interested in Daybreak, and saw some episodes. It was a nice, entertaining, easy watch. Then they cancelled it after like a month, which on top of all their other cancellations, just really showed me that Netflix isn't what it used to be. Doesn't help that I hear it ends on a cliffhanger, and unless someone else rescues it, we're unlikely to see what Season 2 would be. Netflix is no longer the place for creators and their ideas to prosper, and as said in the quote, I bet the creators are going to stay away from them after all of this. Why go to a service that won't even give your work a fair chance?
    Here is the obvious issue that is built into that question...

What makes you think that they will have an alternate service to go to?

For any creators that are doing things like Daybreak, the idea that every service other than Netflix will be looking to give that show even so much as a second look is requires a positively ridiculous amount of "Assumption...".

The entire question is just based on a reality that we have nothing suggesting it exists.

There's this streaming war you may have heard of, the one where Netflix is set to lose big on. I mean, I already gave reasons for why Netflix is falling apart in the OP. I'm an aspiring creator myself, and I'd be more likely to pitch elsewhere to get a fair shot, rather than Netflix where I'll be screwed over. That's the beauty of having these options. I'm sure the other services would love to take in talented creators that would mean denying Netflix more content.

There's this streaming war you may have heard of, the one where Netflix is set to lose big on. I mean, I already gave reasons for why Netflix is falling apart in the OP. I'm an aspiring creator myself, and I'd be more likely to pitch elsewhere to get a fair shot, rather than Netflix where I'll be screwed over. That's the beauty of having these options. I'm sure the other services would love to take in talented creators that would mean denying Netflix more content.
    What's in blue...

You assume that said "War..." will make it's way down to what(politely) is the "D" list stuff like that show. Again, there is nothing that I have seen that points to there being any sort of competition for the "D" list stuff.

It's maybe SYFY outside of Netlflix, and they are cancelling those sorts of shows every bit as fast as Netflix.

While that could change, nothing right now suggest that will happen to any large degree or any time soon. Certainly nothing that HBOMax would even allow you to pitch to them in your hypothetical where you are trying to avoid Netflix.

What's in green...

I'd say "Reasons..." is a bit of an overstatement. A good bit of what you said falls pretty clearly into what you seem to believe to be the case. Plenty of folks have pointed out that they tend not to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What's in blue...

You assume that said "War..." will make it's way down to what(politely) is the "D" list stuff like that show. Again, there is nothing that I have seen that points to there being any sort of competition for the "D" list stuff.

It's maybe SYFY outside of Netlflix, and they are cancelling those sorts of shows every bit as fast as Netflix.

While that could change, nothing right now suggest that will happen to any large degree or any time soon. Certainly nothing that HBOMax would even allow you to pitch to them in your hypothetical where you are trying to avoid Netflix.

What's in green...

I'd say "Reasons..." is a bit of an overstatement. A good bit of what you said falls pretty clearly into what you seem to believe to be the case. Plenty of folks have pointed out that they tend not to agree.
    Uh, what? They don't just have "A-List" stuff on their service.

HBO Max for example has independent content such as Tokyo Vice, 1% Happy, Classified, Rap Sh*t, Crime Farm, Circe, Americanah, and so on. They don't just do Warner-owned stuff, they actually work with creators of the third party, even those who worked with Netflix in the past, to make content for them. They also don't just do A-List content only. It helps that I actually follow HBO Max news, so I know what's happening as opposed to making assumptions like "HBO Max is Warner's service, so they only make Warner products" or "HBO Max only wants products of the A-List", that I think you're implying.

Uh, what? They don't just have "A-List" stuff on their service.

HBO Max for example has independent content such as Tokyo Vice, 1% Happy, Classified, Rap Sh*t, Crime Farm, Circe, Americanah, and so on. They don't just do Warner-owned stuff, they actually work with creators of the third party, even those who worked with Netflix in the past, to make content for them.
    They also don't just do A-List content only. It helps that I actually follow HBO Max news, so I know what's happening as opposed to making assumptions like "HBO Max is Warner's service, so they only make Warner products" or "HBO Max only wants products of the A-List", that I think you're implying.
    You are making the case for what I just said when you post what is in blue.

You are talking about what will be HBOMax "B" list stuff.

You haven't mentioned anything yet that is even remotely like Daybreak or Deadly Class.

Since HBOMax is passing on at least some "A" list stuff, I have no reason to believe(based on what they have said thus far...) that HBOMax will even be giving the green light to "C" list material.

Never mind stuff at the "D" list level(or below).

How do you even classify this stuff anyways? I'm confused.

How do you even classify this stuff anyways? I'm confused.
    If someone who is not JG-L from 3rd Rock From The Sun or Henry Rollins in the cast?

You can safely assume that you are "D" list.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

What the hell are you even talking about? Netflix is a business not some art house theater. They see the numbers for the shows and how many people watched it. Why would they keep something on the air if not enough people are watching? Netflix was never some safe haven for creators to nurture and prosper. It is a place to make money, and if your show is not being watched by enough people to justify the cost it gets sacked. I watched Daybreak and while ti was a cute little show I could tell from the start it was not going to be a big hit. We should just be happy alot of these shows even get one season since 10 years ago they would have never seen air at all.

Netflix has tons of international content, which is a huge draw for many people on my side of the Atlantic, and South-America probably but I can only guess at that. As long as they keep on delivering that, I'm willing to bet they will keep a good market share outside the U.S.
    Live true or lie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    What the hell are you even talking about? Netflix is a business not some art house theater. They see the numbers for the shows and how many people watched it. Why would they keep something on the air if not enough people are watching? Netflix was never some safe haven for creators to nurture and prosper. It is a place to make money, and if your show is not being watched by enough people to justify the cost it gets sacked. I watched Daybreak and while ti was a cute little show I could tell from the start it was not going to be a big hit. We should just be happy alot of these shows even get one season since 10 years ago they would have never seen air at all.
    Wow, you're defending them for Cancelgeddon? Wow.

Netflix used to give you a chance, they used to allow you to actually tell long stories, you used to be able to get three seasons (it took several years just to get cancelled at two). Now they're just cancelling things left and right for not being the next Stranger Things. Plenty of creators have spoken out against Netflix, including Bojack Horseman creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg about how Netflix has gone downhill for not giving creators a chance. They're using really scummy tactics to ensure ratings are consistent, such as putting a 3-season cap on all original shows, and how can anyone want Netflix when they just cancel shit before then anyways? Why get into a show at all if you know it's just going to end so abruptly? If 75% of originals are unfinished, it's going to look very bad.

As said before, Netflix owns nothing, so they don't have any real incentive to keep things going. Nothing is a franchise to them, just a source of money, and if it ends? Oh well, they got plenty of others to go through. That's another thing services like Disney+ and HBO Max have going for them in terms of them owning the content. Since they're franchises, they have a reason to keep them continuing so they can generate more revenue and viewers. They're part of the identity for them that they built their names upon, so of course they're going to keep them going in one way or another.

Also, their binge format is another thing that's not working for them. There's a reason those two services are going for weekly, to ensure viewers will stay invested. It's proven to be a big setback because any buzz only lasts a day. Game of Thrones was so big in part because it kept audiences invested for the longterm, and I believe if it was binge all the way, it wouldn't have generated the hype it did. Netflix is best to just get rid of binge and go for weekly. People will bitch, some will cancel, but oh well, it'll be worth it for shows to actually last.

Check this list out if you think Netflix is doing fine by their originals:

https://refinery29.com/en-us/2019/06...cancelled-2019

Niffleheim

Owning content doesn't guarantee subscribers will continue subscribing. Most ppl already own some shows or all movies made or distributed by Disney - for SW fans, what's the incentive for ppl to keep disney+ after season one of Mandalorian ends?

Wow, you're defending them for Cancelgeddon? Wow.

Netflix used to give you a chance, they used to allow you to actually tell long stories, you used to be able to get three seasons (it took several years just to get cancelled at two). Now they're just cancelling things left and right for not being the next Stranger Things. Plenty of creators have spoken out against Netflix, including Bojack Horseman creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg about how Netflix has gone downhill for not giving creators a chance. They're using really scummy tactics to ensure ratings are consistent, such as putting a 3-season cap on all original shows, and how can anyone want Netflix when they just cancel shit before then anyways? Why get into a show at all if you know it's just going to end so abruptly? If 75% of originals are unfinished, it's going to look very bad.

As said before, Netflix owns nothing, so they don't have any real incentive to keep things going. Nothing is a franchise to them, just a source of money, and if it ends? Oh well, they got plenty of others to go through. That's another thing services like Disney+ and HBO Max have going for them in terms of them owning the content. Since they're franchises, they have a reason to keep them continuing so they can generate more revenue and viewers. They're part of the identity for them that they built their names upon, so of course they're going to keep them going in one way or another.

Also, their binge format is another thing that's not working for them. There's a reason those two services are going for weekly, to ensure viewers will stay invested. It's proven to be a big setback because any buzz only lasts a day. Game of Thrones was so big in part because it kept audiences invested for the longterm, and I believe if it was binge all the way, it wouldn't have generated the hype it did. Netflix is best to just get rid of binge and go for weekly. People will bitch, some will cancel, but oh well, it'll be worth it for shows to actually last.

Check this list out if you think Netflix is doing fine by their originals:

https://refinery29.com/en-us/2019/06...cancelled-2019
    Here is the problem with what is in blue versus what Zero Hunter posted...

The idea that IP that doesn't even make the "C" list is fundamentally entitled to a bare minimum "Three Season Commitment..." from Netflix(any streaming outfit, actually...)

It will only lead to what Zero Hunter said("C" list content and below just going back to a lay of the land where they never even get a single season...) There won't be some magical "Golden Age" for back bench content where it will get three seasons no matter how it does.

Personally, I would rather have something as solid as Deadly Class get just one solid season rather than go back to where it will never even get that.

In addition, I still haven't come across anything that points to that Disney+ or HBOMax that will be competing for "C"/"D" list content. Until that will even possibly be the case, the idea that said "C"/"D" list content will be in a position to go somewhere other than Netflix/SYFY is entirely unsupported by reality.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-23-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Owning content doesn't guarantee subscribers will continue subscribing. Most ppl already own some shows or all movies made or distributed by Disney - for SW fans, what's the incentive for ppl to keep disney+ after season one of Mandalorian ends?
    Never mind that HBO has already scrapped some of the GOT series that would keep the franchise active. That fact points away from the idea that Disney+/HBOMax have some reason to keep said franchises in production.

While I guess I can see it seeming that way on paper, it's obviously not really that way in practice.

And, that's how a "Big" IP is being treated.