Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 161
  1. #16
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6,996

    Default

    Yes it is worth keeping but not exclusively. I'm a part-time subscriber - they get my money a month of every quarter of the year. Checkout other streaming services or not.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    The streaming wars is about Original content. I dropped DC universe after Young Justice there wasn't enough to keep me monthly, I dropped Disney plus in spite of Mandalorian being good it was only thing I was watching, Only have Amazon Prime because I like to receive stuff fast. Netflix has steady flow of good original content in variety of areas with good variety of movies. Netflix is worth keeping Netflix dropped 6 underground, The Irishman, The King, Dolomite is my name,etc, For shows I like Stranger Things,Alter Carbon, The dragon prince ,Raising Dion,etc. They are some other stuff as well. For me your back catalog only enhances your originals, When Disney starts consistently dropping good originals they will keep me but right now nope.

    A part of the topic doesn't make sense to me because nobody I think really look at like that

    HBO max 12.99
    Disney plus bundle 13.99
    Netflix 9 dollars

    That is 35 dollars a month.. Throw in a live slim TV set up(youtube tv or Hulu tv) for 40 dollars that is about 76 dollars still less then regular cable. But back to my point it is collective price plus the content library not meeting expectations that will cause people to drop Netflix meaning if Disney and HBO are must gets then Peacock, Apple, CBS are actually competing with Netflix then people will start dropping Netflix. Because then we are talking about pushing out of peoples price range and then you really have to decide what you want to get.

    Netflix is not competing with HBO Max for me, Netflix is not competing with Disney Plus for me. I am going to collectively look at group of streaming services and see what is the must watch monthly content with best collection of regular stuff and get them in order what I think is the best. Right now it is HBO then Netflix, I have Amazon because of Prime. Then Disney when it has good stuff consistently it will be on my list. Then price becomes maybe becomes an issue and whatever doesn't produce good content will get dropped. Then also price will play a role I can get Disney + Netflix the lowest tier for roughly the same price as HBO. So HBO can lose by pricing itself of out picture in scenario where multiple things are involved. It is going to depend how much people want to spend on entertainment and what is the consistent killer content.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Depends on when Season 2 of Hilda comes out.

  4. #19
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Me and my wife thought about canceling Netflix too, but then I realized what I would miss.

    Lost in Space season 2: The best sci fi show
    The toys that made us: There is no such show anywhere
    Vikings Spin off: Its a bit far off, but Netflix instead of Amazon will show it
    Masters of the UNIVERSE: The new animated series will come to Netflix

    So...damn...

    Every service has its shows and stuff that I watch, so I can't cancel anything

  5. #20
    Fantastic Member beatboks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Netflix has absolutely nothing to worry about for some time.

    1. HBO Max is only launching in the US and MAYBE some european markets a year later. So isnt even competing in the lions share of the netflix market. Their growth in the US has been sad for a couple of years and has been more than compensated for by other markets.

    2. Disney+ quite frankly isnt a threat. I cancelled my service 2 days into the trial. Frankly I wouldnt pay $4 a month for it. It doesnt have enough content at all. A quote from my son "there's nothing on it that interests me that I haven't already seen". Added to which it simply doesnt work on too many devices. I cant even install the app on my kids ipads (they arent supported). I installed it on my smart TV but it cant successfully play a video, either picture freezes or the sound is a scene behind the picture (if you get a conplete sound at all). Given they had issues with accounts and logins getting hacked, theres no way I'm letting my kids use their macbooks or their windows laptops (they each have both). The service is completely unwatchable for my family. I only had one device in the house it would work on (my phone) and since it has nothing that interests me its a complete non starter.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Netflix has absolutely nothing to worry about for some time.

    1. HBO Max is only launching in the US and MAYBE some european markets a year later. So isnt even competing in the lions share of the netflix market. Their growth in the US has been sad for a couple of years and has been more than compensated for by other markets.

    2. Disney+ quite frankly isnt a threat. I cancelled my service 2 days into the trial. Frankly I wouldnt pay $4 a month for it. It doesnt have enough content at all. A quote from my son "there's nothing on it that interests me that I haven't already seen". Added to which it simply doesnt work on too many devices. I cant even install the app on my kids ipads (they arent supported). I installed it on my smart TV but it cant successfully play a video, either picture freezes or the sound is a scene behind the picture (if you get a conplete sound at all). Given they had issues with accounts and logins getting hacked, theres no way I'm letting my kids use their macbooks or their windows laptops (they each have both). The service is completely unwatchable for my family. I only had one device in the house it would work on (my phone) and since it has nothing that interests me its a complete non starter.
    HBO Max will be available in Europe and South America later, and they intend to expand from there, so yeah, it's not just US only.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Now about the Netflix some criticisms it makes no sense. How in the world do criticize Netflix for too many originals. Then turn around and talk about about how they are losing chunk of content from other providers . Why do you think they are flooding their service with content? It is compensate for the losses that coming up in content library. Netflix has to be complete service unlike something like Disney or Apple so they have a wide variety of content for different styles of viewers. So not having mediocre content in area like Superhero movies would hurt them. Umbrella Academy isn't Marvel or DC movies but if your fan superhero stuff it provides something you like to watch.

    Anyways they have a coherent plan, Fill the content they are going miss from people taking back there stuff and keep pushing out Originals to attract people to the service. They can't just roll over die because people are taking back their content. Carpet bombing original content is smart plan because some of them do hit and they need and every service need a ton of content.New Services thinking that back catalogs will save them are fooling themselves and Netflix understand that you got spend to stay on top, I don't think even with more resources they are ready to spend at rate netflix is doing

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    246

    Default

    IMO Netflix is not worth keeping. At this point they need to change their business strategy when it comes to content producing and start emphasizing quality over quantity. Additionally, they need to also change how they release content. While releasing a full seasons worth of episodes is great for consumers it's a very poor business strategy because it doesn't keep subscribers on a consistent month to month basis which is what their ultimate goal should be. Look at all the other streaming services HBO NOW, Apple TV, Disney+, Hulu, heck even DC universe release episodes weekly. While people wouldn't like it at first most would still subscribe to see weekly episodes of Stranger Things. Doing this would generate more revenue that could be pumped back into making better content.

    Right now the only thing from Netflix I'm looking forward to seeing is the film with Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot, and the Rock but not much anything else. So probably will stop membership until then.

    Ultimately I think Netflix is going to figure this out too late and go the way of blockbuster or get bought by one of the cable or network companies for a low amount.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-20-2019 at 06:09 AM.

  9. #24
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Now about the Netflix some criticisms it makes no sense. How in the world do criticize Netflix for too many originals. Then turn around and talk about about how they are losing chunk of content from other providers . Why do you think they are flooding their service with content? It is compensate for the losses that coming up in content library. Netflix has to be complete service unlike something like Disney or Apple so they have a wide variety of content for different styles of viewers. So not having mediocre content in area like Superhero movies would hurt them. Umbrella Academy isn't Marvel or DC movies but if your fan superhero stuff it provides something you like to watch.

    Anyways they have a coherent plan, Fill the content they are going miss from people taking back there stuff and keep pushing out Originals to attract people to the service. They can't just roll over die because people are taking back their content. Carpet bombing original content is smart plan because some of them do hit and they need and every service need a ton of content.New Services thinking that back catalogs will save them are fooling themselves and Netflix understand that you got spend to stay on top, I don't think even with more resources they are ready to spend at rate netflix is doing
    Because they're trying to use quantity to compensate for quality, and all they're doing is making a bunch of bad and/or incomplete shows at the same rate the other services are hiring top talent and making big budget high concepts series worthy of the Emmys and wide audiences. HBO Max for example, is going to emphasize quality, planning to release 50 or so Max Originals in 2021, working in parity with the existing HBO library, to hit a home run in more cases. The fact that they're a bigger company, and own much of what they're making, helps to ensure the quality of said shows. HBO on average has higher budgets than Netflix. For example: Euphoria is a teen drama that had a budget of $88 million for one season, compared to Stranger Things (the big one) having around $60-70 million. That was just one show. Max Originals will definitely have more resources put into them than your average Netflix series. Green Lantern is said to have a budget of over $100 million (rumors going as high as 150-170m) while the Defenders series were around $45 million per show.

    Netflix just can't throw that kind of scratch around. I'm looking forward to Tokyo Vice, for instance, and it's because it stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe, and will be filmed on location in Japan itself likely with excellent cinematography and production values. Just from that alone, I knew that this is a show that wouldn't be able to be made by Netflix. They wouldn't have the budget or the resources for it to make it happen. Also, like I said, the quality of Netflix Originals is going way down in part because of their politics. I think HBO has always been good at storytelling, I mean, they are as their history proves (well apart from GoT Season 8), and the Max Originals just sound more appealing to me because of the production values and the fact that the shows don't just exist in the service of the company's political attitude but to tell interesting and entertaining stories.

    Don't get me wrong, there's some shows I'll still watch. Either by Blu-Ray, or a brief sub. No way am I going to stick with them, however.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    IMO Netflix is not worth keeping. At this point they need to change their business strategy when it comes to content producing and start emphasizing quality over quantity. Additionally, they need to also change how they release content. While releasing a full seasons worth of episodes is great for consumers it's a very poor business strategy because it doesn't keep subscribers on a consistent month to month basis which is what their ultimate goal should be. Look at all the other streaming services HBO NOW, Apple TV, Disney+, Hulu, heck even DC universe release episodes weekly. While people wouldn't like it at first most would still subscribe to see weekly episodes of Stranger Things. Doing this would generate more revenue that could be pumped back into making better content.

    Right now the only thing from Netflix I'm looking forward to seeing is the film with Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot, and the Rock but not much anything else. So probably will stop membership until then.

    Ultimately I think Netflix is going to figure this out too late and go the way of blockbuster or get bought by one of the cable or network companies for a low amount.
    Yeah, that's another thing. Netflix is really hurting from the binge format they once boasted as their advantage. All it does is kill the buzz for every show, because people talk about it for a day or two and then forget it. Even their big hit, Stranger Things, is only a phenomenon for like a week before fading to the background. With weekly releases, the audience will tune it each time to watch the show, and discussion will last far longer and thus will remain in the spotlight. Plus, any big twists and plot turns will actually have an impact because speculation is possible on weekly. Water cooler speculation has its benefits.

    It's like being at a big concert, and the band plays the songs everyone knows at the start, rather than making them wait to the end. Sure, we want to hear the best songs, but really, there's a reason to having us wait and enjoy the experience as a whole.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,111

    Default

    The toys that made us team just confirmed that Netflix will kill the show if more people don't watch it in these next few weeks! Yup they will just kill it!

    Looks like I need to watch the show again!

    Most Netflix shows don't make it past three seasons anyways (and with only 4 to 8 episodes per season that's sad)

  12. #27
    Fantastic Member beatboks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    HBO Max will be available in Europe and South America later, and they intend to expand from there, so yeah, it's not just US only.
    No they dont. They made an official announcement less than 2 months ago (31st of October) that they only have plans to expand into 4 european markets in early 2021 and that they dont plan to expand into many other markets at all but to instead work thru existing markets in those countries. They made said announcement after the share price of ATT dropped on the back of speculation of these expansions.

    When Stankey spoke of further expansion he said

    "leaning on our licensing relationships with key partners in territories where we believe market conditions warrant a different approach."
    A very clear indicator that they are most certainly not expanding the HBO product beyond that
    Last edited by beatboks; 12-20-2019 at 06:51 AM.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Yes Netflix is still the superior streaming option. Amazon is the only one that comes remotely close as far as original content. It still has the greatest variety of content. Ultimately Disney Plus is for children and some hyper fan adults. Thatís not a bad thing, but itís a limited platform. Hulu still gouges you with commercials and has arguably the worst interface of all the major streaming sites.

  14. #29
    Fantastic Member beatboks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    267

    Default

    A part of the topic doesn't make sense to me because nobody I think really look at like that

    HBO max 12.99
    Disney plus bundle 13.99
    Netflix 9 dollars

    That is 35 dollars a month.
    For me it's
    $13.99 au a month for Netflix
    $6.99 for prime
    And $35 for Foxtel Now (I assume its like HBO now, pay tv servolice over internet with VOD content)

    My kids watch a little foxtel and a lot of Netflix.
    I watch a little Foxtel (DC and Marvel shows) and a lot of Prime
    And my wife watches a lot of Foxtel and a little Netflix.

    Since HBO plus even if it came here (which its not) is only going to be a version of foxtel (they currently have the rights to all HBO content as well as the CW the year its on CW and goes to Netflix afterwards) and Foxtel secured the rights for quite a few more years recently. There's no reason to change

    That's pretty much how I see it to it coming down to whether the contents were the dollars

  15. #30
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    No they dont. They made an official announcement less than 2 months ago (31st of October) that they only have plans to expand into 4 european markets in early 2021 and that they dont plan to expand into many other markets at all but to instead work thru existing markets in those countries. They made said announcement after the share price of ATT dropped on the back of speculation of these expansions.

    When Stankey spoke of further expansion he said



    A very clear indicator that they are most certainly not expanding the HBO product beyond that
    I know what I said, I watched the presentation. I just know they plan to expand, and will likely expand further as time passes as any service does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •