Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Nah. Disney+ seems meh. I've seen the classic movies when I was little and later as an adult. I'm not itching to see them again on demand. Star wars sucks. Pixar movies are cool, but not to the point I must watch again. And I've seen all the marvel stuff already. All in all, I'd say Disney can't bring in as many eyes consitently with what content they'll have.

For Netflix, I'm sure most people have least 2 dozen shows or movies in their list they've yet to watch on. I have a huge queue of content to look at. Netflix for all it's political pushing or wtv, is pretty enjoyed by all.

Never heard of HBO Max. And super series shows aren't what people always want. Whichever streaming puts out the best sitcoms will win. The next big bang theory on pne of these streaming things is what they should all be aiming for.
    Last edited by Marvel-Studios Rep; 12-20-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Depends on when Season 2 of Hilda comes out.
    Yeah, that's the kind of show that keeps me with Netflix. And Disenchantment. And hopefully The Witcher.

But Netflix also keeps doing dumb stuff like cancelling Mystery Science Theater 3000. Traditional networks are delighted when they find a show that can run for 5+ seasons with decent ratings, but Netflix seems to run away from them. They are going to have to come around to accepting that streaming isn't *that* different from the traditional TV model, which evolved from 70 years of data on audience preferences and human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Never heard of HBO Max. What they got?
    HBO Max is WarnerMedia's all-in-one streaming service. Anchored to the HBO brand, it encompasses many studios and libraries under WarnerMedia including Warner Bros., DC Entertainment, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock Entertainment, The Wolper Organization, The CW, CNN, Turner Sports, TruTV, TBS, TNT, Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, Hanna-Barbera, Turner Classic Movies and Turner Entertainment (which controls rights to the Brut Productions and pre-May 1986 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer library).

Furthermore, they also have deals with BBC, Studio Ghibli, Archie Comics, Berlanti Production, Bad Robot, Hello Sunshine, and more. They have exclusive streaming rights to many shows, starting with Friends, The Big Bang Theory, and South Park, among many others.

Anyways, for scripted originals:

Live-Action
    1% Happy
    Americanah
    The Beach
    Boys
    Circe
    Classified
    College Girls
    Crime Farm
    DC Super Hero High
    DMZ
    Doom Patrol
    Drama Queen
    The Flight Attendant
    Generation
    Gossip Girl
    Grease: Rydell High
    Green Lantern
    The Griswolds
    Love Life
    Made for Love
    The Not Too Late Show with Elmo
    Point Horror
    Raised by Wolves
    Rap Sh*t
    Search Party
    Sesame Street
    Snow Crash
    Stand-up Specials Presented by Conan O’Brien
    Starstruck
    Station Eleven
    Strange Adventures
    Tokyo Vice
    Tooned Out
    Vegas High
    White House Farm

Animation
    Adventure Time: Distant Lands
    The Boondocks
    Close Enough
    Esme & Roy
    The Fungies!
    Gen:Lock
    Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai
    Jellystone!
    Little Ellen
    Looney Tunes Cartoons
    Mecha Builders
    The Monster at the End of This Story
    Tig N’ Seek

This is what they've announced so far since five months ago when they unveiled it, and I left off unscripted. As you can tell, they're making good progress because this is just the beginning. This is a major reason why I'm excited for HBO Max.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 12-20-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I know what I said, I watched the presentation. I just know they plan to expand, and will likely expand further as time passes as any service does.
    You watched the presentation which stated they would be leaning on our licensing relationships with key partners in territories where we believe market conditions warrant a different approach (a complete contradiction to what you said) but you know they will do the opposite?

Right, so as reliable sources go your not one.
    He stated clearly in that release that they wouldnonly work through licensing partners in other markets as conditions warrant a different approach. They have even since then EXTENDED licensing agreements they have in many of those markets with those licenaing partners. That is the exact opposite of what a company that was planning expanding into foreign markets did. Disney pulled their licenses back, not extended them.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    You watched the presentation which stated they would be leaning on our licensing relationships with key partners in territories where we believe market conditions warrant a different approach (a complete contradiction to what you said) but you know they will do the opposite?

Right, so as reliable sources go your not one.
    He stated clearly in that release that they wouldnonly work through licensing partners in other markets as conditions warrant a different approach. They have even since then EXTENDED licensing agreements they have in many of those markets with those licenaing partners. That is the exact opposite of what a company that was planning expanding into foreign markets did. Disney pulled their licenses back, not extended them.
    Look, I'm just assuming that as HBO Max grows, it'll expand to other markets. It's not that hard, that's how it works. And yes, they do plan to expand anyways. I just believe that give it time, and we'll see more announcements in the coming years.

Can we drop this? This isn't even fun.

BANNED

Look, I'm just assuming that as HBO Max grows, it'll expand to other markets. It's not that hard, that's how it works. And yes, they do plan to expand anyways. I just believe that give it time, and we'll see more announcements in the coming years.
    HBO Max hasn't launched yet.

And WB's war-chest if you come down to it, isn't so impressive. What do they have?
    -- Harry Potter, which is a bunch of mediocre films with fairly little replay value, followed by prequels that made many Lucas-haters apologize to George, and which has a backlash against it owing to Rowling being outed as a transphobe.
    -- LOTR, long three movies followed by prequels that are horribly bad.
    -- Game of Thrones, via HBO and AT&T, which got a major backlash over the final season and now is banking on a prequels series which considering how HP and LOTR turned with its prequels, is a case of over-optimism.

Then there's the superhero stuff.
    -- The only good Superman movies are the first two.
    -- Batman movies I grant you will be significant but he's also oversaturated and overexposed.
    -- The rest of the DCEU might make it, might not.

The only DC property I am excited in is Neil Gaiman's THE SANDMAN which is...on NETFLIX

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

And WB's war-chest if you come down to it, isn't so impressive. What do they have?
    -- Harry Potter, which is a bunch of mediocre films with fairly little replay value, followed by prequels that made many Lucas-haters apologize to George, and which has a backlash against it owing to Rowling being outed as a transphobe.
    -- Game of Thrones, via HBO and AT&T, which got a major backlash over the final season and now is banking on a prequels series which considering how HP and LOTR turned with its prequels, is a case of over-optimism.

-- Batman movies I grant you will be significant but he's also oversaturated and overexposed.

The only DC property I am excited in is Neil Gaiman's THE SANDMAN which is...on NETFLIX
    Whoa, what? That sounds like a very skewed perspective. They also have:
    • The full HBO library, itself amounting to a treasure trove of acclaimed and exclusive works.
    • The Golden Age of Hollywood, thanks to both old WB movies and The Criterion Collection. It's very rare to find movies before 1980 on other streaming services.
    • A massive animation collection, starting with Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera, working its way up to Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Boomerang, with others like Rooster Teeth and Crunchyroll. Of course, them having WB Animation is a big plus.
    • A massive collection of horror movies thanks to New Line Cinema.
    • Over 1800 movies at launch.
    • In-house superhero content on all fronts thank to DC.
    • Over 700 episodes of Brit works thanks to the exclusive BBC deal, including Doctor Who.
    • The entire Studio Ghibili library. Yes, from My Neighbor Totoro to Spirited Away, and everything else.
    • A massive collection of big TV shows such as Friends and Fresh-Prince of Bel-Air, in addition to streaming rights to The Big Bang Theory and South Park.

So I don't see how their content isn't impressive as I'm really just scratching the surface.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

You're ignoring way too much of HBO's library. Sopranos, The Wire, Veep, Silicon Valley, Sex and the City they always have a new big show that's a pinnacle in prestige television at the time. Harry Potter has a massive fanbase and quite frankly it's as big as Star Wars and has a much larger international reach. WB also has all the DC stuff which there is an audience for. Then you have all the Warner Brothers cartoons and Loony tunes stuff for kids. Pretty sure they got Friends also which is something pretty much every women I know that had a streamings service watches religiously. That's a huge get.

Overall HBO go will have the most comprehensive war chest of content of all the streaming services. Also it won't be pidgeonholed by catering to one age group.

Add Cartoon Network, add Adult Swim, add CNN, add the CW eventually, add TNT, add New Line Cinema, add Turner Classic movies which has an amazing old school library, add Warner's catalogue. There's even more big name franchises I'm not mentioning.

They are going to have the most sought after content in total and that's going to be by a lot.

Unless you are a kid or die hard MCU fan, Disney plus doesn't have much. Even Star wars if you like it, there's not enough there that is going to be worth it beyond a couple of months. You're better off just buying a box set once and getting each film as it comes out

Extraordinary Member

Whoa, what? That sounds like a very skewed perspective. They also have:
    • The full HBO library, itself amounting to a treasure trove of acclaimed and exclusive works.
    • The Golden Age of Hollywood, thanks to both old WB movies and The Criterion Collection. It's very rare to find movies before 1980 on other streaming services.
    • A massive animation collection, starting with Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera, working its way up to Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Boomerang, with others like Rooster Teeth and Crunchyroll. Of course, them having WB Animation is a big plus.
    • A massive collection of horror movies thanks to New Line Cinema.
    • Over 1800 movies at launch.
    • In-house superhero content on all fronts thank to DC.
    • Over 700 episodes of Brit works thanks to the exclusive BBC deal, including Doctor Who.
    • The entire Studio Ghibili library. Yes, from My Neighbor Totoro to Spirited Away, and everything else.
    • A massive collection of big TV shows such as Friends and Fresh-Prince of Bel-Air, in addition to streaming rights to The Big Bang Theory and South Park.

So I don't see how their content isn't impressive as I'm really just scratching the surface.
    It's easily the most impressive of the services by a large margin. Keep in mind people used to pay just for HBO go/Now which was a lot more limited and focused only on primary HBO output

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’m pleased with Netflix, both with their live action offerings, and the anime they present. I’m perhaps one of the very few who doesn’t think Disney+ is the greatest thing since sliced bread, never had any interest in their animated films, most of the Marvel stuff I already have on home video and I lost interest in Star Wars after the debacle that was Episodes 1-3. At present, I see no reason to dump Netflix.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's easily the most impressive of the services by a large margin. Keep in mind people used to pay just for HBO go/Now which was a lot more limited and focused only on primary HBO output
    Exactly, and that's before factoring in all the Max Originals, which as the list above shows is already massive.

Not seeing any competition on this side of the pond. Sky/Now have a solid contract with HBO, Amazon Prime is ubiquitous and almost everyone watches Netflix. Everyone seems to have seen Umbrella Academy for example.

No sign of Disney yet, probably no HBO if Sky keep paying them. Hulu don't even exist here. DC shows are shared out across these platforms. Hulu shows get shared out too. Almost everything except the new Disney material is available somewhere in this mix.

I really don’t see anyone even attempting to reach the international audience that Amazon and Netflix have already sewn up. I will be keeping them both and occasionally subscribing to Now if HBO have anything worth watching, just like I did with GoT and Watchmen.

How exactly are Disney or HBO going to tackle the Indian Subcontinent considering Netflix is already moving into that territory.

Outside the US these ‘Netflix can’t compete’ headlines are laughable.

Not only that Disney are encouraging black market means by withholding their original content. Which is an entirely retrograde step that will not help them in the long run. Do they honestly think that people who want to watch their pointless but hyped Star Wars content will wait patiently until they have a deal in the UK?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Exactly, and that's before factoring in all the Max Originals, which as the list above shows is already massive.
    You sound like you work for HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You sound like you work for HBO Max.
    No, I wish though. I’m just excited for something different. Honestly I’m just glad they realized that putting all their stuff together in one big kick-ass streaming service was better than a bunch of tiny so-so ones.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I will probably settle in to subscribing to Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ (and Amazon Prime, which I already had for the free shipping and stuff). That should be pretty manageable.