Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    And the curated comics were awful, like really bad. No one wanted them.
    Because Karen Berger wasn't there to make them better, and anyone good enough to get published under Vertigo could simply go to Image and retain all their media rights.

Vertigo put their foot in their mouth, then shot themselves in the foot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Just started it and that opening shot of him coming out the water with the monster looked awfull. Hopefuly thing season does well and they invest a bigger budget in season 2 because I love the character.
    The battle scenes were pretty good tho. I'm halfway through the second episode and it seems to be more of an ensemble piece than him being the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Because Karen Berger wasn't there to make them better, and anyone good enough to get published under Vertigo could simply go to Image and retain all their media rights.

Vertigo put their foot in their mouth, then shot themselves in the foot.
    Berger was great, but that doesn’t mean the replacement curator wasn’t horrible. It was a train wreck.

Berger was great, but that doesn’t mean the replacement curator wasn’t horrible. It was a train wreck.
    No one is going to argue that Vertigo didn't decline after Berger's departure. What point are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    No one is going to argue that Vertigo didn't decline after Berger's departure. What point are you trying to make?
    My point is that Vertigo making a political statement with no substance turned away audiences. Hell, they cancelled a book because of pressure from culture critics. Think Berger would’ve done that?

Honestly, the politics aren’t what bugs me most. It’s the “CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL” mentality that Netflix believes in. Not only is it bad for us, it’s bad for creators. I think they’re going to notice this, and take their stuff elsewhere for a fair shot. Then they’ll have less creators wanting to work with them. I think the term here is “you reap what you sow”.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Well I am watching the Witcher right now and the new season of Lost in Space comes out next week I think so for right now it is worth keeping for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Well I am watching the Witcher right now and the new season of Lost in Space comes out next week I think so for right now it is worth keeping for me at least.
    I'll check out the Witcher, but I'm also enjoying The Dragon Prince, Tales of Arcadia, and looking forward to the upcoming Avatar series (with the original creators heading it). And some guilty pleasures include Carmen San Diego and Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Wow, you haven't listened to a god damn thing I said, the whole "Soulless Megacorp" thing definitely flew right over your head.

They don't have views, they don't have values; they have metrics, they have trends, they have demographics; they are a system set-up to produce money.

Values and views are merely something in the "units of consumption", they are only something to be exploited.

Yes, there are these things called "nuance" and "quality" that go alongside "storytelling"; I never said otherwise, in fact I'm sure I implied that was the relevant part. That has nothing to do with Netflix as a whole, they can't all be winners as they say. Hell your example illustrates my point! X-Men and Champions are both made by Marvel! Which is run by right wing trump supporter Ike Perlmutter!

You've given a flat generalization on Netflix's content as "politics over plot", but have yet to give even a single example of it, and I'm sure their are some, I've heard people complain about them (I have a friend who bitches about "Dear White People".); but I, as someone who basically only watches Netflix, have not noticed any grand proliferation.
    Exactly.

It's like someone looks at Netflix and sees something like Chick-Fil-A.

The Witcher is decent but it's not prime Game of Thrones by a longshot, meaning they failed at their goal of having the next GoT on their hands. Shame.

The Witcher is decent but it's not prime Game of Thrones by a longshot, meaning they failed at their goal of having the next GoT on their hands. Shame.
    You have this weird perspective on this topic that is not reality, Netflix didn't expect Witcher to be the next "game of thrones" they want to attract GoT audience who is looking for a fantasy replacement/fix which is two different things. Witcher has 91% percent with audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, Witchers has a 7.7 rating on Metacritic with user which is 609 positive user reviews to 139 negative user reviews. If the goal is to have a successful show that audience likes and the Witcher is overwhelming that. There is nothing to be ashamed of the Witcher has done its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You have this weird perspective on this topic that is not reality, Netflix didn't expect Witcher to be the next "game of thrones" they want to attract GoT audience who is looking for a fantasy replacement/fix which is two different things. Witcher has 91% percent with audiences on Rotten Tomatoes, Witchers has a 7.7 rating on Metacritic with user which is 609 positive user reviews to 139 negative user reviews. If the goal is to have a successful show that audience likes and the Witcher is overwhelming that. There is nothing to be ashamed of the Witcher has done its job.
    This is starting to feel a lot like an "Outcome..." that is doggedly looking for anything like bits that might support that the outcome could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This is starting to feel a lot like an "Outcome..." that is doggedly looking for anything like bits that might support that the outcome could happen.
    The media is looking for anything to compare to Game of Thrones now, And Netflix didn't mind the Game of Thrones comparison because they are targeting some of that audience with the show. Basically it is like a new pretty female singer being compared to Beyonce, Of course they want to be considered their own thing but you are not going to stop people from comparing you to Beyonce because she is on the top industry and you are getting attention because of it. Externally yeah even Netflix might have thrown out the Game of Thrones comparisons. Internally they knew The Witcher is not game of thrones but it has some of elements that would lend itself to being compared to game of thrones it is straight adult focus fantasy with sex and nudity and it at times deal with darker themes than just good overcomes evil.

So if they are going to call you next GoT, Heck Netflix marketwise had almost no choice but to run with it but realistic they know what it was when they are making it. So yeah "You think I am next Beyonce, uhm sure yeah I do indie rock and little pop but sure call me the next Beyonce." But anyways this off topic trying to bring back on topic Amazon is looking for their Lotor series to be the next game of thrones size hit they spent 250 million just to get the rights and 750 million to film it. Yeah they spent a nearly 1 billion on it. Netflix wasn't chasing GoT with the Witcher they ain't throw a 1 billion dollars at the series. Netflix marketing love every second of someone comparing this GoT. You are going to compare our higher budget "Xena" "Hercules" or "Legend of Seeker" style show to GoT sure go head.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-22-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Personally, I'm not comparing The Witcher to GoT.
    I am able to separate the two and not lump all fantasy into one bucket. I never once compared LotR to GoT, and vice versa just because I don't find any need to.
    The Witcher is its own thing, as it should be. And so far, I really like it and while I'm not done with the first season, yet, I already want more. Cavill has been a wonderful Geralt. As for some of the CGI complaints, I saw a few things, but nothing that is a complete killer for me. So many movies and shows utilize a lot of CGI anymore, so on a scale of really bad to super realistic, it's probably in the top half for me.

I'm hoping Netflix and the showrunner really improve upon the most common complaints for season two, though. This show has a lot more potential, and that's not criticizing what exists already.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Pretty sure there was a lot of hype of The Witcher being a killer app and the next show to succeed Game of Thrones is what I'm saying.

Incredible Member

Pretty sure there was a lot of hype of The Witcher being a killer app and the next show to succeed Game of Thrones is what I'm saying.
    I finished episode 2 of the Witcher last night and so far the series looks pretty great. I never expected it to be some great mass draw for normal people like got and that is ok.

My main issue with Netflix is I want at least one of these kinds of genre shows released a month that are decent.