53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 1.89%
  • No

48 90.57%
  • I don't know.

4 7.55%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default James Cameron says Avatar 2 will beat Endgame.

I knew he was salty all along. he is really salty.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/ja...rd-1202198472/
    James Cameron Dings ‘Avengers’ Box Office, Expects ‘Avatar’ to Reclaim Record

“I think it’s a certainty,” Cameron says of “Avatar” passing “Avengers: Endgame” at the box office. “But let’s give ‘Endgame’ their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater.”

“I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road [by offering congratulations],” Cameron says. “But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error.”
    Should Disney bring “Avatar” back to theaters at some point to help stir up interest in the 2021 sequel, it won’t take much financial support for Cameron’s film to reclaim its spot as the world’s highest-grossing move. The filmmaker took some time in September to praise the worldwide success of “Endgame,” even if that meant he no longer had the #1 spot on the all-time box office chart.

I personally don't see Avatar 2 beating Endgame but heck, if any director can do it. he can. I know James Cameron has something up his sleeves with Avatar, some ground breaking film making VFX awaits us.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-19-2019 at 11:08 PM.

James Cameron also thought his new Terminator movie would save the franchise. He's a self promoter who's only trick up his sleeve at this point is spending millions on effects with average stories.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    James Cameron also thought his new Terminator movie would save the franchise. He's a self promoter who's only trick up his sleeve at this point is spending millions on effects with average stories.
    His ego is known through out Hollywood, but he does have the track record to back it up, as I said, if anyone can do it, he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    His ego is known through out Hollywood, but he does have the track record to back it up, as I said, if anyone can do it, he can.
    I highly doubt it. Avatars only long term achievmant was its numbers and that was only by going "look we spent tons to make 3d a thing again!" except like EVERY time 3d becomes a thing it sinks after a few years. Other then that its left no discernible mark on the pop culture sphere.

I highly doubt it. Avatars only long term achievmant was its numbers and that was only by going "look we spent tons to make 3d a thing again!" except like EVERY time 3d becomes a thing it sinks after a few years. Other then that its left no discernible mark on the pop culture sphere.
    Sounds like the politics of fandoms. Avengers fans will argue avatar only has the record because of 3D. Avatar fans will argue, Avatar was only about one movie and avengers is a series of multiple crossover movies A big event of 10 years worth of 22 movies in one that had to be released twice for the one purpose of getting the record vs Avatar that never got re-released twice or is not part of a crossover cinematic film series.

As for the 3D argument. James Cameron gets a unique place in history for that, he is one of the few directors that knew how to use 3D for the sole purpose of telling a visual story that actually needed 3D. When Hollywood jumped on the 3D bandwagon post Avatar, most of those movies never measured up to the the artistic film achievement of Avatar.

In it all, James Cameron is an exceptional film maker that has proven himself over and over again,Avatar 2 may be another lightening in the bottle for him. Avatar is still more certainly unique then endgame. we had seen avengers 4 times already before endgame (avengers 1, age of Ultron, infinity war and civil war). Avatar for now is still a one off, so the fact that he held the record for 10 years was quite impressive.

I personally always found Titanic holding the record much more deserved to both Avatar and Endgame. Titanic did not have 3D like Avatar and neither was it a crossover event film like Avengers with 10 years worth of build up. Titanic is the most natural fair holder of the record.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Niffleheim

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. The man has 2 movies in the top 3/5 all-time worldwide box office earners. I know I'll be there opening weekend to watch the movie even though I'm a fan of the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Sounds like the politics of fandoms. Avengers fans will argue avatar only has the record because of 3D. Avatar fans will argue, Avatar was only about one movie and avengers is a series of multiple crossover movies A big event of 10 years worth of 22 movies in one that had to be released twice for the one purpose of getting the record vs Avatar that never got re-released twice or is not part of a crossover cinematic film series.

As for the 3D argument. James Cameron gets a unique place in history for that, he is one of the few directors that knew how to use 3D for the sole purpose of telling a visual story that actually needed 3D. When Hollywood jumped on the 3D bandwagon post Avatar, most of those movies never measured up to the the artistic film achievement of Avatar.

In it all, James Cameron is an exceptional film maker that has proven himself over and over again,Avatar 2 may be another lightening in the bottle for him. Avatar is still more certainly unique then endgame. we had seen avengers 4 times already before endgame (avengers 1, age of Ultron, infinity war and civil war). Avatar for now is still a one off, so the fact that he held the record for 10 years was quite impressive.

I personally always found Titanic holding the record much more deserved to both Avatar and Endgame. Titanic did not have 3D like Avatar and neither was it a crossover event film like Avengers with 10 years worth of build up. Titanic is the most natural fair holder of the record.
    Its not politics of fandoms at all. Avatar has barely any media outside of its initial release, has no real staying presence in pop culture frankly save for memes mocking its threadbare plot. Fast and the furious is frankly more long standing and relevant to pop culture from an outsiders perspective. Even if its merely "Wow their sure stretching this heist movie morphs into gonzo off the wall excuse for cars" schtick.

Its not politics of fandoms at all. Avatar has barely any media outside of its initial release, has no real staying presence in pop culture frankly save for memes mocking its threadbare plot. Fast and the furious is frankly more long standing and relevant to pop culture from an outsiders perspective. Even if its merely "Wow their sure stretching this heist movie morphs into gonzo off the wall excuse for cars" schtick.
    It's also technically "A Ways Back..." now.

While anything could happen, I don't see that as something that is going to help the franchise.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, wont be tricking me twice with this franchise lol

James has switched to the GOOD stuff I see. No more of that cheap stuff for him.

It's a tough call.

Avatar was obviously a HUGE sucess, and Cameron's track record speaks for itself.

That said, the latest Terminator outing under performed, so that could be an indicator he doesn't quite have the same magic touch he had back in the day.

But I'm sure the movie will do really really well regardless of whether or not it beats End Game.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's a tough call.

Avatar was obviously a HUGE sucess, and Cameron's track record speaks for itself.

That said, the latest Terminator outing under performed, so that could be an indicator he doesn't quite have the same magic touch he had back in the day.

But I'm sure the movie will do really really well regardless of whether or not it beats End Game.
    Yeah, I imagine it will do well because spectacle usually sells but it'll have a hard time beating its first outing and endgame

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Whether he succeeds or not, every creative medium needs people who swing for the fences! So good for him. Best case scenario Cameron starts up a real rivalry with Marvel Studios that leads them both to new creative heights.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's a tough call.

He was only a producer on Terminator. His involvement in Dark Fate is being overstated.

Thing is, what it means to be a producer seems to vary depending on the product/movie. It can be ceremonial, as in mostly hands off, or it could mean you might as well call him co-director with as much input/control he had. This was a case of the latter based on comments by Miller himself. If anything it actually seems to be UNDERstated.