53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 1.89%
  • No

48 90.57%
  • I don't know.

4 7.55%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Yes, if it has something that’s as big a “must see” sales point as 3D was, and God’s own marketing team on its side (I.e. probably not.)

Astonishing Member

It doesn't matter how much Cameron was involved in the Terminator franchise, it would have bombed anyway. The franchise, despite the successful Genysis installment has reached its end.

When Genesys came out, there was enough interest to get some people in the theater for a last time. That wasn't the case with Dark Fate anymore. So, that's no indication if Cameron still has what it takes.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Avatar was a good thing because it put a lot of money into the economy and employed a lot of people.

That's about it.

Avatar 2 will not come close to beating Endgame.

BANNED

He should be more concerned what fraction of Avatar 1 he'll make. The luster is off that franchise and I think trying to revisit it might only further expose the fraud of that movie.

The only thing that will beat Endgame in the foreseeable future is whatever the next big Marvel tentpole is.

Astonishing Member

I'm always interested in how sequels perform after the first. I do think Cameron waited too long after the record setting Avatar. Maybe there will be pent up anticipation like it was with Star Wars New Hope and Jurassic World. Those two movies set the box office on fire when they came out after such a long delay between movies.

With how the foreign markets have grown over the years it's definitely possible, especially with how China watches movies.

I'll believe it if it outgrossed the Lion King remake in two weeks.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Deleted post. My apologies to everyone for replying. I didn't notice until now who started the thread.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-20-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Avatar got a perfect storm of being able to present a brand new visual experience without requiring technological upgrades of the projectors actually showing the movie. Hard to see that happening again. The story itself was, I think, pedestrian and not worth the price of admission. Had it not been new and innovative visually, it's hard to imagine it doing nearly the box office that it did.
    Yeah, exactly. As I've said before, Sam Worthington isn't exactly the most demonstrative actor, among other flaws.

Extraordinary Member

Doubtful. The visual innovations and themes that made Avatar a success are now passe'. It'll probably do monster biz overseas but won't grab the domestic like endgame did.

Funny thing is- I agree with him to an extent. The only reason Endgame beat Avatar was because of the re-release, and even then it didn't beat it by that much.

That being said...

Avatar was a gamechanger. It brought back the popularity of fully 3-d movies, to the point that almost every major movie released over the past decade had a 3-d release. And the effects were truly beautiful. But it's been a decade since it came out. Consumers have had their fill of 3-d movies, to the point where many films no longer bother. And it will be over a decade before the sequel finally hits, and honestly I just don't see it doing half of what the first Avatar did. We all knew the story was lackluster, but we came to see a 3-D movie. Now we don't care about that as much.

I could be wrong. But unless the trailer for Avatar 2 blows everyone away, I don't think it will even join the other Cameron films in the highest grossing list.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Funny thing is- I agree with him to an extent. The only reason Endgame beat Avatar was because of the re-release, and even then it didn't beat it by that much.

That being said...

Avatar was a gamechanger. It brought back the popularity of fully 3-d movies, to the point that almost every major movie released over the past decade had a 3-d release. And the effects were truly beautiful. But it's been a decade since it came out. Consumers have had their fill of 3-d movies, to the point where many films no longer bother. And it will be over a decade before the sequel finally hits, and honestly I just don't see it doing half of what the first Avatar did. We all knew the story was lackluster, but we came to see a 3-D movie. Now we don't care about that as much.

I could be wrong. But unless the trailer for Avatar 2 blows everyone away, I don't think it will even join the other Cameron films in the highest grossing list.
    3D could have had stronger legs if other movies actually filmed in 3D like Cameron did with Avatar instead of adding the effect in post production which all of them did. A lot of those films treated it like a gimmick which hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I'm always interested in how sequels perform after the first. I do think Cameron waited too long after the record setting Avatar. Maybe there will be pent up anticipation like it was with Star Wars New Hope and Jurassic World. Those two movies set the box office on fire when they came out after such a long delay between movies.

With how the foreign markets have grown over the years it's definitely possible, especially with how China watches movies.
    James Cameron has only made one sequel. Terminator 2, and it out did its predecessor both in money and film quality. Also James Cameron is a genius film maker, it is indeed possible he could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    3D could have had stronger legs if other movies actually filmed in 3D like Cameron did with Avatar instead of adding the effect in post production which all of them did. A lot of those films treated it like a gimmick which hurt it.
    A point well said, James Cameron knew how to use 3D exceptionally well. he shot the entire movie in 3D camera and tech.These lame studios were just making movies in 2d and cheaply converting them to 3D, its was a gimmick and never paid off, not to mention it made the movies awful. I saw the first Avengers film three times in 2012 in cinema one of which was in 3D and it was terrible. but the irony is I only enjoyed Avatar in 3D cinema. watching it in the home of a 2d screen, Avatar is not as interesting in 2d home screens.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-21-2019 at 04:25 AM.

I think it creates an interesting rivalry with Avatar and Avengers since James Cameron hoped audiences would get tired of Avengers over time. Anyway, the only real winner here is Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hate post production 3D. I won't go to see any movie done that way. But I loved the 3D in Avatar. The movie was designed to be shot in Cameron's updated 3D tech. It was more of a Theme Park ride than a great movie. But that was what it was meant to be.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I'm excited for him to re release Avatar 1 to pass Avengers again