Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

If you're a jaded adult, Star Wars probably isn't for you.

If you can easily tap into your child-like wonder, you'll probably love Star Wars.

And of course, YMMV.

Star Wars is like a religion.

Casuals. Fanatics. Hardcore wings. Traditionalists. New Age. Converts. It has it all.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They will.
    Which, the movie showed, is irrelevant to the person she was and was going to be.
    I'm surprised so many are missing this point, even when it's been explained to them after the fact. "Your focus determines your reality," "Only a Sith deals in absolutes," "Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view." Have people not been paying attention to the dialogue that's floated around the saga for decades?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'm surprised so many are missing this point, even when it's been explained to them after the fact. "Your focus determines your reality," "Only a Sith deals in absolutes," "Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view." Have people not been paying attention to the dialogue that's floated around the saga for decades?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Rey will ALWAYS be a Palpatine by blood. That can never be changed.
    Luke will ALWAYS be the son of that mass murdering child killing tyrant Vader and that can never be changed.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mighty Member

Who started out life as a good man. Unlike Palpatine who Lucas once referred to as the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Luke will ALWAYS be the son of that mass murdering child killing tyrant Vader and that can never be changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Who started out life as a good man. Unlike Palpatine who Lucas once referred to as the devil.
    Luke and Rey both overcame their dark lineages, FWIW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

But one actually felt compelling and earned, the other did not.

On another topic, anybody think a lot of the Exegol FX were a bit of Disney just pretty much taking every CGI model they had from the other films and throwing it onto the screen perhaps to save costs? I mean, they have ships there that would seem pretty useless in a battle such as Han and Solo's big freighter from TFA (Wonder who was flying it? Kankjiclub?) You can also see the rebel fleet ships from Rogue One and Last Jedi mixed in there.

The Star Destroyers, for example, are pretty much the same CG model used for Rogue One and Solo but just scaled up with some red paint and new cannons added (Which also causes some scale problems as stuff like the bridge windows were kind of enlarged too!-Kind of like all those Star Trek TNG and DS9 episodes which kept showing the Birds of Prey at totally different sizes). Apart from the wreck on Jakku, the better known model of Star Destroyers seen in ESB and ROTJ hasn't
    I'm willing to bet that's also why the Tantive IV was brought back too-they had the CG model handy from Rogue One.

Granted, Star Wars did this kind of CG recycling before-the beasts in the special edition version of Mos Eisley are largely modified Jurassic Park dinosaurs. And even the OT has at least one instance of stock footage-the one shot of the TIE pilot in ROTJ is just a ANH shot with new backgrounds.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

I guess these days times are hard.

One weird thing about the Exegol battle is that in many shots of the first few trailers we see the battle being fought in daylight (Daylight does happen after Palpatine's defeat but these shots were from the battle itself).

Makes me wonder if the choice to make it dark and stormy was a later change? It's possible that it was to make it distinct from Moriband, another Sith temple world.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

The editing in this film was absolutely diabolical, they seemed to have shot a dozen takes of different scenes and thrown them all together.

I honestly never thought I'd see such a badly made SW film, and I'm not talking about where the story (what there was of it) went. I'm talking about the actual production quality.

Did they actually have any test screenings?

Which, the movie showed, is irrelevant to the person she was and was going to be.
    Yep, it was so irrelevant. It was so irrelevant she felt the need to change her name the first chance she got. Not that it matters. I'm sure Rey would have existed without Palpatine hooking up..

Palpatine's end goal was never ending the Skywalker bloodline, but resurrecting the Sith Empire, which morphed into resurrecting himself and reclaiming his throne. He completely failed at that. As far as the bloodline ending thing goes, as the movie itself asserted, some things are stronger then blood, not to mention that the movie ends showing us that the Skywalkers will continue, outliving Palpatine's legacy
    But did he fail? He survived the explosion of the Death star Lol. We have no proof that he is going to stay dead. All the Skywalkers are dead. The empire is gone but the republic was wiped out in TFA so the universe is in chaos.

EVERYTHING IS COMING UP PALPATINE!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Luke and Rey both overcame their dark lineages, FWIW.
    One character was strong enough to keep their name and attempt to redeem it.

One character took someone's name because taking things is what that character does. She will take droids, ships, lightsabers, origins on sandy planets, Chewie, your status as the chosen one who brought balance to the force, any hope of the other two members of the trio having a satisfying arc of their own....
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yep, it was so irrelevant. It was so irrelevant she felt the need to change her name the first chance she got.

Yeah, not what that scene was about at all.

Not that it matters. I'm sure Rey would have existed without Palpatine hooking up..
    That's a biological impossibility.

But did he fail?
    Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer?

He survived the explosion of the Death star Lol. We have no proof that he is going to stay dead. All the Skywalkers are dead. The empire is gone but the republic was wiped out in TFA so the universe is in chaos.

EVERYTHING IS COMING UP PALPATINE!
    Until we're given reason to believe that he survived, there is no reason to argue that the movie's showing him dying is not what actually happened. All the Skywalkers are not dead, as we're shown at the very end of the movie, and there's no indication that the chaos you're talking about happened (remember, the planets do have local governments that can keep order if need be; heck, there are worlds, like Ryloth, that weren't even part of the New Republic).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    But one actually felt compelling and earned, the other did not.
    I agree.

Ben's was compelling and earned.

Rey never really turned? She just as Luke once put it, chose to do better. She never really knew who she was till later and by then she was beyond her lineage. That's pretty earned ...

Anakin's made no sense till the 2000s when the PT came out but it felt earned for Luke to turn his father.

I love all things Star Wars but if you don't have the PT, Anakin's turn doesn't really make much more sense than Ben's. At least it helped Luke and he never turned.

And same goes for Rey.

One character was strong enough to keep their name and attempt to redeem it.

One character took someone's name because taking things is what that character does. She will take droids, ships, lightsabers, origins on sandy planets, Chewie, your status as the chosen one who brought balance to the force, any hope of the other two members of the trio having a satisfying arc of their own....
    Homage is lost on today's youth.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.