Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Another problem with the Star Destroyer tech is where did they get all the Kyber crystals they would need? Oh, and how did they miniaturize the tech so it could fit on Star Destroyers yet still have the power required to destroy planets? None of this was explained.
    I'm trying to think of a single instance of a Star Wars movie explaining any tech

Another problem with the Star Destroyer tech is where did they get all the Kyber crystals they would need? Oh, and how did they miniaturize the tech so it could fit on Star Destroyers yet still have the power required to destroy planets? None of this was explained.
    Haven't seen it yet but it doesn't need to be able to break a planet into pieces to destroy it. In Rogue One, a single part of the beam was able to devastate cities far away from the impact point. A smaller version might not be able to ruin a planet in one shot, but could still crack even a star dreadnaught in a single shot or ruin a continent - which would probably cascade into devastating the entire planet anyways, just not in a spectacular explosion. Turn the target point into the Siberian lava traps - only the active version - and the rest of the planet is screwed anyways.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I have a lot of mixed feelings regarding the movie. If they didn't feel it necessary to "fix" TLJ and just focused on the little plot that was present, it might have been much better.

Then again, I'm one of the foolish Star Wars fans who actually really liked TLJ, as I'm not tied to preconceived notions of what the characters should be.
    I personally feel their obsession to fix last Jedi got very disrespectful at times. Worse is JJ Abrams is still denying that ROS is not meant to fix last Jedi. like what they did to the actress who played Rose Tico. to see her go from the second most important femela lead in last jedi to a back ground character and erase her friendship/crush on Finn was ridiculous.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    All the Skywalker's are dead and a freaking Palpatine is the last one Scandia, and co-ops their name. Thanks a lot LF, ugh.

Also apparently Sheev just could build a GIGANTIC fleet of warships, completely with Death Star weaponry, on some barren backwater planet with no infrastructure, factories, natural resources, etc. It was so contrived.

Also ANOTHER big super-weapon threat, enough of that already.
    I can't help but feel that Palpatine has achieved ultimate victory. He pretty accomplished everything he wanted with this ending. Palpatine bloodline having such a strong affinity for the dark side it's only a matter of time for one of Rey descendants resurrects the Sith. Assuming the emperor stays dead this time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I can't help but feel that Palpatine has achieved ultimate victory. He pretty accomplished everything he wanted with this ending. Palpatine bloodline having such a strong affinity for the dark side it's only a matter of time for one of Rey descendants resurrects the Sith. Assuming the emperor stays dead this time.
    Nature vs nurture, I suppose. She wasn't raised a Palpatine. In as much as she was raised by anybody it was by Skywalkers. Hence the name at the end. Luke and Leia are, for all intents and purposes, the parents she was waiting for when we met her on Jakku. She defined herself by their lessons, not those of her grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Nature vs nurture, I suppose. She wasn't raised a Palpatine. In as much as she was raised by anybody it was by Skywalkers. Hence the name at the end. Luke and Leia are, for all intents and purposes, the parents she was waiting for when we met her on Jakku. She defined herself by their lessons, not those of her grandfather.
    Ben had a loving family and it didn't stop him from succumbing to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm trying to think of a single instance of a Star Wars movie explaining any tech
    The Death Star in RO, ROS, ATC, ANH oh and the books, comics, exact. They clearly explain how long it'll take to build and why they need so many Kyber crystals (power output and that it needs a day to fully recharge the super laser after destroying a planet).
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I personally feel their obsession to fix last Jedi got very disrespectful at times. Worse is JJ Abrams is still denying that ROS is not meant to fix last Jedi. like what they did to the actress who played Rose Tico. to see her go from the second most important femela lead in last jedi to a back ground character and erase her friendship/crush on Finn was ridiculous.
    The Last Jedi wiped its ass with The Force Awakens so I not gonna cry foul when the same thing happened to it.

BANNED

The Death Star in RO, ROS, ATC, ANH oh and the books, comics, exact. They clearly explain how long it'll take to build and why they need so many Kyber crystals (power output and that it needs a day to fully recharge the super laser after destroying a planet).
    Key word being movie

The Last Jedi wiped its ass with The Force Awakens so I not gonna cry foul when the same thing happened to it.
    But look where it has led? total destruction. I rather improve than ignore.

What I find almost unforgivable is JJ Abrams made the exact same mistake in Star Trek into Darkness like he did with Star Wars Rise of Skywalker.

I like him as a film maker but this is a big black spot on his record now.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Key word being movie
    RO, ROS, ATC, ANH are movies.

Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Ben had a loving family and it didn't stop him from succumbing to the dark side.
    It's true, the Skywalkers are just as bathed in the darkness as the Palpatines. And have just as much blood on their hands. But Skywalkers also have good in them and can be powerful forces for light. In this way Rey is very much a Skywalker, as was Ben. Does it absolutely guarantee that some future Jedi won't go dark? Of course not. But Rey's victory is clearly a rejection of her biological heritage. It's a win for Skywalker, not Palpatine.

BANNED

RO, ROS, ATC, ANH are movies.

Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope.
    Apparently I have a different understanding of "explain the tech" than you. I am pretty sure, for instance, no movie explained how the Death Star gets the energy to destroy a planet, let alone move faster than light.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It's true, the Skywalkers are just as bathed in the darkness as the Palpatines. And have just as much blood on their hands. But Skywalkers also have good in them and can be powerful forces for light. In this way Rey is very much a Skywalker, as was Ben. Does it absolutely guarantee that some future Jedi won't go dark? Of course not. But Rey's victory is clearly a rejection of her biological heritage. It's a win for Skywalker, not Palpatine.
    What makes Last Jedi a way better film. Rey's back story in last jedi was more believable than her as Palpatine's grand daughter. the screenplay makes no sense and you can see the inferiority to the writing of the original trilogy. When Luke learns Vader is his dad, all what luke cared about was to redeem him even when Obi Wan, Yoda and Leia felt it was impossible. rey learns palatine is her grand pa and only living relative and not once did she ever think of extending an Olive branch to redeem him. it is laughable at this point for JJ Abrams' to argue Palpatine was always meant to come back.

Rey for me would never be a Skywalker, I hate to say this but if you want to right fan fic, write full fan fic and be done with it. that kiss was half ass fan fic. what should have happened is before Ben died, rey and him should have talked about their feelings, make promises to eachother, they could make the talk vague and open to interpretation of whether they saw eachother as friends, siblings or lovers. then in the end she takes the name Solo not Skywalker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    What makes Last Jedi a way better film. Rey's back story in last jedi was more believable than her as Palpatine's grand daughter. the screenplay makes no sense and you can see the inferiority to the writing of the original trilogy. When Luke learns Vader is his dad, all what luke cared about was to redeem him even when Obi Wan, Yoda and Leia felt it was impossible. rey learns palatine is her grand pa and only living relative and not once did she ever think of extending an Olive branch to redeem him. it is laughable at this point for JJ Abrams' to argue Palpatine was always meant to come back.
    While I agree with you on the merits of TLJ, I think you're looking at the reveals in the wrong way. Luke learning his heritage plays into the central conflict of his story, which is external. Luke vs. Vader. Luke realizes that this foe is his father and he can't possibly bring himself to kill him. So he looks for another way. But Rey learning her heritage ALSO plays into the central conflict of her story, though hers is internal. Rey's principle conflict isn't actually with the Emperor, it's with herself. Mirroring Ben Solo's story. Rey learning she's actually from the same bloodline as the emperor feeds into the conflict within her between light and dark. Which, granted, does kind of come out of nowhere just for this movie to a certain extent.

Rey SHOULDN'T want to redeem Palpatine. Palpatine has no chance of redemption. It's her own soul that worries Rey, and is the crux of her story in TROS. I'm not saying it was necessarily well executed, but that appeared to be what they were go for.